high idle in drive and rough idle in park | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

high idle in drive and rough idle in park

zerokohl

Reaction score
City, State
southampton, nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Limited
When I first start my x my idle will start to get rough and seem like I will stall. I put the car in drive and my car revs to about 1500 and will not go below 1000 with foot off gas but when I stop at a light the rpms will drop to normal idle.
I was told that I could be a vaccum leak or a temp sensor but haven't got to test yet.
Someone please help I'm going nuts trying to figure this out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check for a hose that came off the vacuum tree. Also check the brake booster hose on the driver side fender. That one seems to look connected when it really is not. My tree has 5 hoses & a capped port. (I think 5)
If that doesn't help, then clean your Mass Air Flow sensor. Little square box with the 2 torx20 secure (little nub in the middle) right after the air filther box. Pull that off & you see 2 filaments (like in a light bulb). Contact cleaned & allow to dry. Don't break the wires!!

Thanks walt I'll give it a try after work
I have another question since mentioned vacum line there are two that come off the intake box and I know where one goes but I'm not sure where the thicker rubber hose goes off to

Thicker one, not sure. Transmission vac modular maybe? Really thick one on mine is the brake booster

Walt
I took a look at the vacuum lines and while looking one of the little plastic type lines broke and I have no idea what it's for it's one of the little ones in the back of the tree and it goes to a little module that is right next to the tree and then connect another line to what looks to be a pipe that leads to the exhaust manifold. Do you have an idea as to what that is cause it turned on the check engine light.

Well checked vacuum lines replaced most just not sure where 2 go. I also check all my spark plug gaps and cleaned my throttle body as thorough as I could and still no luck no change.

I think that pipe to the exhaust is the EGR, no?

Try to clean the mass air flow sensor. It's that black box connected to wiring between the air filther & the intake. Careful not to break the light bulb type filiments. Use some contact cleaner & allow to dry

Yes it was the egr.
I will clean the maf as soon as I can find the bit to remove it. I can't find it in any stores.

Yes it was the egr.
I will clean the maf as soon as I can find the bit to remove it. I can't find it in any stores.

big lots has a security bit set for likw 3.99 its in there. thats what i used too remove it :salute:

Thanks I'll see if I can find one in my area

Found a whole set at Autozone for $10 - 20. They were in the tool aisle,
Also, these screws are common on computers, so a Staples or computer store may have them

I finally found it. It was at advance I just didn't notice it before
going to pull the maf out and clean it over night so it'll dry before I put it back in.

Back