High Mileage If I Get My Ex From Another Dealer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High Mileage If I Get My Ex From Another Dealer?

airdog007

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford X LTD
I was browsing my local dealerships website to see if they had the explorer limited I wanted in stock and they did. So i decided to go in and check it out but the dealer said sorry he didn't have it in stock. He then proceeded to ask me what options would I like on the explorer so we went to his desk to look up his inventory and other local dealers around the area to see if they had any and we did find one but its all the way in (MD) Maryland and I live in New York. The dealer said when it arrives in new york it would have 167 miles on it because someone has to pick it up and bring it here. He said its something called dealer swap they pretty just swap cars from the dealership. I asked if they could just deliver it he said it would cost $500 to put in on a truck to deliver it.

My question is ..is that to much of a high mileage when I get the car and shouldn't they be paying for it to be deliver or do i have have to pay that $500 just so I can have low mileage when i get it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My question is ..is that to much of a high mileage when I get the car and shouldn't they be paying for it to be deliver or do i have have to pay that $500 just so I can have low mileage when i get it.

Dealer swaps are common. I don't see an issue with 165 miles on a car, standard warranty is 36,000 miles from when you take delivery, so it doesn't actually affect that in any way (meaning if the car had 167 miles on it when you took it off the lot, your standard warranty would expire after 36,167 miles).

I would say just make sure you inspect the vehicle thoroughly for any damage (rock dings in the front, wheel scrapes, etc) before taking delivery.

If the dealer really wants to do the deal, you could push the delivery charge as part of the deal, but I don't know that I would do that if I was a dealer, I'd still have to drive one of my vehicles to the other dealers lot for the swap, so I would be losing even more money.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm going in tomorrow to see if I can get him to throw in something free like an oil change or some weather floor mats.

So I went back to the dealer today to see if I can get a deal. We ended up looking at the inventory again to see if we can find anything closer. He asked do I really need the towing package I said not really it was just a good option to have. I just took it off which knocked $500 off the price and we found a dealer closer that was 56 miles away so I took it. Plus he threw in the weather floor mats and mud guards.:)

My dealer called me and said the Explorer is here and that I can come in to check it out. I got the list from this forum on what to check for when picking it up. So I inspected the outside everything looked great then I got into the X started it up and bang it said 269 miles on it. I went to him and told him that it was suppose to have around 60 miles on it but he said there's nothing he can do about it. What should I do... take it or just order a new one?

If it is what you want and are happy with it then accept the deal.
In May 2011 when I picked up my then brand new 2011XLT Explorer, it had 37 miles on it right off the carrier truck. Either they drove it to a destination point or the factory put those miles on it but it affected nothing. My warranty goes to 36,037 miles or 3 years whichever is first.
So it seems even if you order one,as I did, you will still have some miles on it.

Yea thats true.... My buddy told me to look at it as they used a little more than a half of tank of gas. The only reason I'll take it right now is because I was planning to drive it up to Canada around thanksgiving time other than that I think I can wait. I guess I'll have to sleep on it.

Dealer transfers where the vehicles are driven from one dealership to the other are quite common. Don't know why it would bother you since your warranty starts at the mileage you take delivery at, not from zero.

Honestly and not trying to be rude but I wouldn't worry about 269 miles. You will never now it in the long run. Drive it off the lot and its worth less than you just paid anyway.....

I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. If you are worried about 260 miles on a brand new Explorer, dude, you must be freakin' ****. Who cares about triple digits on the odometer if the warranty covers you from point of sale?

When my parents picked up our brand new (then) 95 Grand Voyager it had over a hundred miles on the clock already before we drove it off the lot and we got a damn sight more than that on it when we let it go last year at 230k.

All the mileage on the three vehicles I own together adds up to over a HALF A MILLION miles. My entire family's fleet of six vehicles adds up to OVER A MILLION miles, still running with none of them having a factory warranty in at least 10 years. So pardon me if I think that you are being a bit picky.

When I bought my '89 Mustang GT from a dealer in South Carolina, they did a swap with a dealer in North Carolina. My brand new Pony had some miles on it, but the warranty started at the delivery mileage. I didn't think it was a big deal. I thoroughly checked it over before delivery, and it was perfect!!

If it's the one you want, go for it!! :biggthump

Well thanks for the feed back. When you guys put it that way it's just 269 miles. So I'm going to take it right after hurricane sandy passes.

Good luck and be sure to post some pics!!

Just picked up my ride...its awesome i'll put some more pics up when I get a chance.:D

IMAG0402.jpg

IMAG0403.jpg

IMAG0404.jpg

That thing is sweet!! :eek:

Back