• Register Today It's free!

High Mileage Road Trip

yabismal13

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hey everyone,

I have an '02 Mounty with nearly 140k miles. I am the second owner and have had regular maintenance on the car for the last year. I've never ha a high mileage car before, and need to know if it's a bad idea to take a 300 mile road trip in warm weather (mid 70's). I plan to take the car to a mechanic to see if the roadtrip is doable, but I'd like to seem somewhat knowledgable so I can think of the right questions to ask/things to look for.

Thanks,

-Rick.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like you've taken good care of it, I wouldn't worry too much!

I have a '97 X that has over 200k, and i would drive it across the country tomorrow, even with the miles....

Enjoy your trip:)

nah.... not like when many of use were growing up. I don't mean to sound aloof, but... cars made since about 1998-up just seem to hit their stride about 125-150K... unlike cars of the 70's which needed attention, but would make it, or the "disposable crap baskets" of the '80s, as my father used to call them...

Most current car designs, with their 100,000 mile spark plugs, 150,000 mile coolant, sealed/ non-servicable transmissions & synthetic gear lubes... 140K is "just getting broke in!"

Our Mountaineer, 4.6L V8, AWD, 2004 model, I would never even blink to set the wife & boys on the 600 mile 1-way trip back to St. Louis to see Gram & Pops or 1,100 miles to visit Gram & Pops in Florida during the winter.

As long as the regular fluid & wear items are attended too, no worries.

What you are planning is a breeze. Have them check all the fluid levels, freshen those that have not been done in a while or ever. Differential(s), Transfer cases, often get forgotten/taken for granted. Especially in AWD models.

Tell the mechanic to pull any codes. At that mileage, minor wear items start to surface. A random ABS light, is likely, again for the mileage, a front left or right hub/bearing going... its a $140 part, takes 45 minutes a side to replace. No biggie. As one example.

Have a tune up (skip the fancy platinum plugs for old fashioned Copper ones), if its never been done or you don't know, have the transmission fluid changed. Be aware depending on the transmission you have there is likely not a dip stick & the local Jiffy Lube is NOT the place to have that done.. Have the coolant TESTED first... before paying a silly amount, have them test it. you're in a temperate, albiet warm in summer climate. You are most concerned with boiling point not freezing point.

tire pressure & wear, nothing feels sloppy... the usual mechanics check up.

You'll be fine... As a former ASE Tech myself, as well as just an OCD guy, lil things bug me. Overall... have them give the truck a clean bill of health, step up on the maintanence items as needed... Enjoy your trip. The truck will be fine.

Rob

I agree with Rob-

I wouldn't think twice about that kind of trip. Just do some PM pre-season, and you'll be good for the rest of the year. :thumbsup:

Hey Everyone!

Thanks for all the quick replies. Offered a lot of great advice, especially about the spark plugs. I was just gonna get platinum, but if there's not much of a difference, might as well get copper. Lots of reassurance on whether or not my truck would survive the trip! Looking forward to it. Even bought a cargo wrap for the roof rack up top, lol!

Our 03 Mountie has 150k on it and I would drive it anywhere. Its had all highway miles and rides like new still. Like all the others have said, Go for it!

Hey Everyone!

Thanks for all the quick replies. Offered a lot of great advice, especially about the spark plugs. I was just gonna get platinum, but if there's not much of a difference, might as well get copper. Lots of reassurance on whether or not my truck would survive the trip! Looking forward to it. Even bought a cargo wrap for the roof rack up top, lol!

Whatever you do, don't get Bosch plugs... please...

Back