High Mileage SOHC's Explorers | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High Mileage SOHC's Explorers

Thirteen years and counting

2000 Limited 4wd 4.0 sohc with 155,000 miles. Bought it about three months back. Timing chains, guides and gaskets replaced two weeks ago. Engine runs well, transmission shifts smoothly and suspension makes a knocking noise on less than perfect roads (that is next on the list). Body and interior are in great shape. I really like this suv; I'm six feet tall and fit just fine. I hope to take it to 300,000. Update: October 2018. 178,000 miles now and I have replaced the thermostat housing, radiator, hoses, alternator, sway bar endlinks and rear pinion seal/differential fluid. It's still running smooth and strong.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

97 Eddie Bauer with 143,x.. miles on it and had to replace the transfer case about a year ago. May have a wheel bearing going or just a tire out of balance but will find out soon enough this week. Love the vehicle and hope to keep it going for another 100K miles.

so, do i win? 425k miles on the original engine before it let go.

Ever do the tranny fluid? 169k on my '98 Sport 4X4 and I go back and forth if after 15 years maybe it should be changed . . .

Ever do the tranny fluid? 169k on my '98 Sport 4X4 and I go back and forth if after 15 years maybe it should be changed . . .

I did when the tranny got the every gear revs lol. They changed the valve body gasket and filter and oil. That was at 350,000km thou.lol.
It's probably a good thing to do.

My 97 Sohc just turned 158,000. Just this past weekend I had to put a new belt, idler pulley and tensioner. Have had it since 2007 with just shy of 100k on the clock. I worked as a parts counter man at a ford dealership and knew the vehicle well before I bought it. Was traded in on a new focus of all things. Already had the tsb for the tensioners done way before I bought it. Been a damn good truck. Other than routine maintenance, I've had to replace typical wear and tear items, fuel pump and alternator. If and when this one goes I'd deff like another second gen.

High Mileage

2000 Explorer XLT 4.0ltr SOHC with 198,100 and still running strong.:salute:

246,000 on my 1999 Eddie Bauer. Just had the front hubs done as they were humming. Ready to do the 5 shocks next week. Now wondering about these chains and guides some are talking about. I will read more about these issues here.

246,000 on my 1999 Eddie Bauer. Just had the front hubs done as they were humming. Ready to do the 5 shocks next week. Now wondering about these chains and guides some are talking about. I will read more about these issues here.

The chains and guides are mainly issues on 4.0 SOHC V6; according to your info you have a 5.0 V8.

113,000 on mine. bought in 1999 with 36K miles. original engine and drivetrain equip still except usual maintenance stuff like rotors, wheel bearings, shocks, ball joints, fuel filter, crank sensor, etc. But had to replace thermostat housing which began leaking recently [housing is plastic].

Well my timing chain let loose last month and pulled the engine out and found another SOHC engine and dropped the oil pan at my uncle's shop to find out the engine I bought had pieces of the timing chain guide in the bottom of the oil pan and a piece in the oil pick up tube

I've run Amzoil in my !999 EddieBauer 5.0 since I got it 5 or so years ago. I use it in the engine and the transmission. It runs like a champ and I'll keep it as long as it continues.

Def wishing I would of gotten a 5.0 instead. But gonna try the swap to Amsoil or however it's spelled.

1999 4L SOHC Sport - High Mileage

i got my 1999 in 1999. it now has 261,000 miles. single owner, obviously. for the first 6 years it was used a lot on dirt, gravel, snow, ice, mud. has been stuck in the animas river, and gently toppled into a willow field from a mountain road. has been rear ended three times, none severe. it has survived all of this and barely has a scratch. still go offroading, sort-of, but mostly its a commuter. still gets 21-23 mpg hwy, 15-17 mpg city. have only used premium gasoline twice. oil has been changed every 3000 miles, religiously.

have replaced ball joints, radiator, 2 batteries, 3 sets of tires, idle air control valve, gasket job, spark plugs twice, normal brake maintenance. had all the dash bulbs replaced. had to remove and repair the printed circuit boards for both the radio and the overhead temperature/compass console. tail gate latch was fixed, door rattle was fixed years ago.

it now needs a tensioner (probably both front and rear), maybe harmonic balancer, and rear main oil seal. oil is being consumed @ 2 qts per 6000 miles and is getting worse. but it does not smoke at all, and there are no oil puddles. coolant is also leaking. sometimes the balancer (?) vibrates, and the tensioner (?) rattles. when it is running good, which is most of the time, it is remarkably smooth.

i figure less than $600.00 in parts, but more than $2500.00 in labor. a startling ratio, for sure.

need to decide whether to 1) fix what i have, 2) get a rebuilt engine, 3) get a new car.

what are your opinions ?

217k on my dd 01 ST. Had the timing guides done at 60k under extended warranty, which I almost didn't purchase until they offered it for $500 - I think I got them on that one... Replaced the alternator at 160k. Rebuilt the rear end due to throwing a shim on the pinion at 180k (~$150 in parts, my labor). Just replaced U/L ball joints in the front and shocks all around at 200k (~$700 in parts, my labor). The TCO on this vehicle has been great, considering the utility and how much I use it for leisure purposes. Now, if I could only get better gas mileage (doing the elec fan soon). In the 9 years and 170k or so miles I've owned it, I calculate around $28k in gas!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. I only use synthetic oils, changed at 10k intervals. There isn't even a hint of oil use or other engine issues. I put in 5qts of oil and I get just under 5 out, which is mostly stuck in the filter.

Explorer still going

I have a 2001 Explorer Sport 4x4 with 230,000 miles. Truck is running with original engine and transmission. The miles are mostly highway miles and the truck still has plenty of power due to the 4.0 under the hood.

142,x.. on 2000 XLT stock v6 sohc - runs fine so far, just bought it recently but doesn't seem to have any slipping in trans or anything major in motor/suspension. Of course, some cosmetics and a window regulator/lock actuator here and there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was a little disappointed by the lack of photos in this thread.

I have a 1997 Explorer 4.0l SOHC with 147,899 miles on it. I picked it up off of Craigslist back in February 2013 with 142k on it. I don't drive very much (2 mile commute to work and college) so I anticipate it will stay low mileage. I must say that I am falling more in love with my Explorer every day.

I purchased it from the third owner. He bought it for his daughter who went off to college and didn't need it anymore. 5k miles before I bought it he did about $2k worth of timing chain work, put new shocks and tires on it. All of the fluids were replaced by the previous owner, so no servicing needed for quite awhile! It had always been garaged and is all perfect and shiny. I am very compulsive about my car, so it will stay that way.

I've installed a new stereo system; Rockford Fosgate speakers, MTX amps, Infinity subwoofer, Pioneer headunit. Replaced all of the interior bulbs with LEDs, including the instrument cluster. Replaced the center brake light bulb with an LED strip. Replaced the keyless entry module and remotes from a 98-2001 model Explorer to improve the reliability. Added longer wiper blades. Changed the oil with Mobil1 high mile full synthetic. Projects coming up: K&N air intake system, HID foglights, brighter LEDs for the front seats, LEDs outside to light the area around the car when the interior lights are on and Sylvania SilverStar ZXE headlight bulbs. Anything else that I should do? I would love to hear other suggestions!!

I must say I am rather proud of my Explorer, can you tell?

fxDRoGU.png

qk359NR.png

Back