high mileage tuneup | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

high mileage tuneup

swatkinz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT with V8
My explorer has 159K miles on it. I bought it new so I'm fully aware of it's history. The transmission was replaced at 88K miles. The AC compressor was replaced around 50K miles. Knock on wood, since then, maintenance has been nothing but routine, preventative maintenance.

Current issues are:
Check Engine Light (scan tool says PCV valve, but I've replaced that and it's still illuminated. This light has been on for over 2 years)
Blend Door Actuator (needs to be fixed...I'll do it myself someday)
Leaking rear end (I have the fluid checked at each oil change, but it always seems to be ok)
Intermittent battery drain

My goal is to get 250K miles or more out of the vehicle. I realize that the vehicle isn't worth much, but I don't care about NADA/Blue Book or any of that stuff.

My question. What kind of tune up or preventative maintenance should I do with this mileage to get the most out of this vehicle? I have been changing the oil every 5K miles, but I think I'm going to start changing every 3K.

I plan to fix the current issue stuff as I get to it as I don't think they are major things, but what about other tune up type maintenance? What should be done for a vehicle with this type of mileage?

heres some that come off the top of my head....

spark plugs with wires, changing your antifreeze, fuel filter and i would def fix the rear end leak..

thanks,
I have the rear end fluid checked at each oil change and am told it almost always is good.

Ideally, the leak would be fixed, but I don't see the harm in the leak as long as the reservior is topped off. Am I wrong?

What about rotor and cap. In a boat, I'd change the rotor/cap for a tuneup like this. Would that be recommended here too?

There is no distributor so there is no cap or rotor and your sign says you have a V8 so there are no wires either.

Keep up with your fluid changes maybe change the plugs and fuel filter if the O2's have never been changes then you might want to change them.

Oh what is the code for your CEL (you should get that fixed)

Back