High Mount Brake Light Not Working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High Mount Brake Light Not Working

Zorlack

Reaction score
City, State
San Pablo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Sport Trac 2004 XLT
Hello Forum members :O)

I have a 2004 Explorer Sport Trac and I recently noticed the high mount brake light was out. I removed the bulb and replaced it with a new one, still nothing!!! I checked power to the plug and get nothing, checked fuses everything looks fine. I have cargo lights, and have lower brake lights, tow plug works, any ideas???? :O)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On the 2004 model the wiring to the roof runs down the left side, inside, and up the left rear corner of the cab, Look for a light green wire to check for power along that route. It's pin #50 in the main bulkhead connector under the left side of the dash.

I now have a funny low beeping when I turn on my left turn signal, it seems to be coming for the flasher relay, could a malfunctioning flasher relay be causing my high brake light to be out? Just curious

flashers usually don't have anything to do with your third brake light. Did you check the fuses? is there any green powdery stuff on the connectors inside the third brake light assembly? if so take a toothbrush and scrape it off. possibly take an eraser and clean off the terminals.

Got it working......

Hmmm can you believe it was a fuse the fuse looked fine but replaced it and it works but one question that high mount only goes on when you step on the brakes correct? It is not supposed to light up when I turn my lights on right? Just checking I don't remember :0)

Only when you apply the brakes............

the white lights on it should come on when you have the dome lights on though. or when you open your doors (some trucks)

Back