• Register Today It's free!

High Output Alternators

ksaldibar

Reaction score
City, State
Staten Island (part of NYC) , New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT and '99 EB
Hey everyone. I'm looking to upgrade to a high output alternator because of my stereo system and exterior lights. I think my alternator now is 90amps/130amps at idle/max output. I tried looking for one on the internet and I've been a couple sites asked me for my vehicle information. That wasn't a problem until they asked if I had a 4.0 with VIN "E" or 4.0 with VIN "X". I have the 4.0 SOHC. Also, does anyone know where I can find a high output one? Thanks a lot.

-kenny :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

look around at the local shops some places can rewind your existing one... for more power output...

amesome man...thanks. btw, have you, or for that matter anyone else done business with that website? are they quality alternators? with shipping a 200 amp alternator is $250. thats a great deal and i'm really interested...

Gimp said:
VIN Code "E" is the 4.0 SOHC
VINCode "X" is the 4.0 OHV

Here is some info on breaking down the VIN
http://www.members.cox.net/ntrprize/VIN.htm

Have you tried www.mralternator.com ?

I bought a 130A alternator from them and had no problems whatsoever with service, shipping, etc. :thumbsup:

thanks alot. a 1000watt sound system and 2 sets of hella 500s along with my head lights and factory fog lights requires an alternator upgrade, lol

DB_1 said:
I bought a 130A alternator from them and had no problems whatsoever with service, shipping, etc. :thumbsup:

Yeah, that'll suck the life out of a stock alt. :p

totally, lol

If you want to get one local. That Autozone on Forest Ave should have them. I got a 130amp for my old 94 Sport when I lived in SI. It wasn't cheap though at $200. You might need more then that with all the stuff your running. Ebay has some good deals also.

I picked up a 160amp from 4alterstart.com

It was only like 160$ If I remember right. The Alt works great for me. I purchased it because my truck dosn't see much RPM with not having 4-low wheeling and all my lights would murder my battery and my truck would die! That and a stock 3G worn out.

Now I can run my brights, Heater (wheelin in the winter) 4 100w rack lights, and my Hella 500's. At Idle with no problems at all!!!

I buy from www.mechman.com Not a cheap place, but their products and customer service is outstanding. I'll be getting my 2nd alternator from them shortly, as I bought one about 4 years ago for my first explorer, and it was used on both my explorers and recently had the case changed and it's on my brothers Mark VIII. Still cranks great.

Back