High output alternators | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High output alternators

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I am in the market for a new alternator, I am seeking a high output alternator; quite possibly a 200 amp unit.

I e mailed PA Performance (http://www.pa-performance.com/ ) and asked about a 200 amp alternator for my '00. This is an e mail I received from them:

>>That is a 4G and they are very problematic with upgraded amperage and reliability. We don't make anything larger in-house for a 4G because of the 70+ % failure rate. We do have a company who hand winds them for us for stereo competition, and they are very very reliable. Be very wary of the quick fix sellers - I see a lot of them on eBay and other auction sites, for the most part they take a ford unit and put a big winding in it. That just is not enough. Anyhow, they are $679.00 and shipping is 7-10 days from order. If you wanted to order you would have to call as they are special order.<<

What do you guys think about 200 amp alternators? Those who have them, have you experienced problems? What kind of output does the ones you have produce at idle?

Thanks in advance ....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Man that is a lot of money. I've heard good things about alternators from http://www.mean-green.com/.

There are a handful of companies that make 200 amp alternators.

I know I've seen some bad press on here about "Mr. Alternator". However, I researched a LOT of other discussion boards quite some time ago for a lot of other applications and didn't find all the negatives. I scored mine from "Dirty Dog" who bought it from your buddy BBQ Hot Dogs. Might want to ask him what he thought of it. I didn't find any complaints from him when I searched the archives. I certainly have had zero problems with mine. I used to get headlight dimming when my stereo was cranked, but I haven't since the install in either my Sport or the new Eddie.

That price you got quoted was astronomical. Have you considered finding a good shop locally to re-wind your OEM offering? I've been told that's a workable option if you find a good shop, but not everyone is as capable.

the mr. alt represents an improvement over stock

to actually get a 200 amps of output at a reasonable rpm etc. costs quite a bit more

i doubt you need more than the mr. alt type output- what are you running in the truck?

Back