• Register Today It's free!

High Pitch when accelerating

dgonz

Reaction score
City, State
Porterville, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLS
Okay, COMPLETE newbie, don't know a whole lot about trucks in general so please dumb down any responses lol.

I have an '05 ST everything is stock, but I had a question:

When I'm accelerating and driving, up until about when I get out of first gear, when the engine "revs" it's reeeeealy high pitched. After about 2nd/3rd gear it sounds like a normal truck-a little deeper growl i guess you could say. Is this normal? Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sound like a belt slipping/squealing?

Sort of....it starts real low and raises in pitch as I accelerate all the way till it gets out of first. I just wanted to check with everyone and see if the truck is just kind of high pitched when everything is stock or if something may be a little off.

I an having the same problem

Okay I recorded it on my phone and have a decent sound. Does anyone have any idea of how to upload an mp3 or any other type of audio file?

put it on youtube and post the link

still waiting for the audio file see if does looks like mine.

Sorry guys, took me a few days to get back to it. Here's a link to the video, forgive the turn signal noise, but I cracked a window a bit hopefully you can hear it okay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR3wtPqGni4

A whining that goes away after first gear is engaged? That sounds like a band is about to snap. Definitely bring it in ASAP if you want to keep the transmission together.

Will do, I wish I had asked about it earlier it's been doing it for as long as I can remember and I just thought that was the way my truck sounded.

Thats why theres a forum here! To ask the questions others know the answer too.

The whine sounds almost like the whine you get from a bad wheel bearing but goes away after 2nd gear is engaged. Most like the transmission will have to get pulled apart and the first gear redone. Hopefully everything else is A OK. Let us know what the outcome is. Good luck:) :thumbsup:

Thats why theres a forum here! To ask the questions others know the answer too.

The whine sounds almost like the whine you get from a bad wheel bearing but goes away after 2nd gear is engaged. Most like the transmission will have to get pulled apart and the first gear redone. Hopefully everything else is A OK. Let us know what the outcome is. Good luck:) :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot I really appreciate the help. I seriously thought it was normal because it has done it as long as I can remember. Do you have any idea as to how expensive that would be to have the first gear redone? college student on a budget here lol

Not exactly sure but definitely shop around. Try and pit one persons price against the other ones by grabbing quotes.

Not exactly sure but definitely shop around. Try and pit one persons price against the other ones by grabbing quotes.

Will do, thanks again for your help!

my sound is a higher pitch i will trie to record one tomorrow, see what happens.

I have a very high pitch noise as well, almost too high to hear. Only in cold weather, and only at 65mph. Not at 64, not at 66. I use it to drive my wife crazy...

Just an update on this for anyone who's interested. I went and had the transmission checked out and turns out that I need either a brand new transmission or to have it completely rebuilt! Not the best news of the day that's for sure. Luckily when I bought it from CarMax I paid for their extra MaxCare plan so if all goes as it should it should only cost me a $50 deductible for a new trans. Thanks again for all your help everyone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Luckily when I bought it from CarMax I paid for their extra MaxCare plan so if all goes as it should it should only cost me a $50 deductible for a new trans.

Good move on the warranty. Be sure you get the premium rebuild job you've paid for in the warranty.

Back