High-pitched noise when accelerating | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High-pitched noise when accelerating

TonyNTip

Reaction score
City, State
Elgin, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
My 91 XLT has a high-pitched noise when accelerating.

This started about 10 months ago and started when reaching around 2500 rmps but now happens around 1500 rmps. Since it happens while driving it is very difficult to tell where it is comming from.

I had my wife stand on the brakes and accelerate until the sound occured. From every side of the engine compartment it was hard to tell. Maybe directly behind the engine itself. I found one vacuum line that was not connected and hoped that was the cause but it still makes the noise.

Any help would be appreciated because the noise is pretty loud.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same prob with my 94. It came and went. It was very loud and disturbing when it happened, but the engine ran perfect. Tried to locate it and it seemed to come from everywhere! It would go away only to come back 2-3 months later! This went on for over a year. I found out what it was when it broke suddenly, it was the idler pulley. The loud noise was the metal being sheared off a little at a time on the inside of the pulley. I had to get the replacement from ford, their the only ones that I could find it with the bolt and spacer locked into it. The after markets don't have the bolt, nor do they sell them. $39.00 at the stealership. Do't know if this helps, but can't hurt to look.
Also check out JTSmiths sticky on noise under hood; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161590

Thanks for the info gmanpaint. I will try to get a good sound clip of the noise as well BlacksheepJosh.

Yeah, when you get that clip it'll be easier to point you in the right direction. You can only describe a sound so much before you really just need to listen to it.

The sound is the same but I did notice that the colder it was outside, it was not as loud. Maybe it is a coiencidence but this started ocurring the next week after I got the oil changed at AAA and they recommended to me that I needed to get my belt replaced because it had cracks. I of course did not take their offer to replace it for $120 because I know that I can do it for much less in about 5 minutes. I have just been to lazy. Since I need to get a master cylinder today then I will get a belt as well to see if that solves the problem. I will also try to get a sound clip of the noise while I am on my way.

If they recommended that you get a new belt, I'd go ahead and do it. For the price of the belts, it's not a big deal. I think they're like 10-20 bucks maybe?

Josh,

I just sent you an email of the clip because I could not find a place on the site to upload it. I did however pickup and install a belt this morning but still receiving the same noise.

I was thinking about it and I don't beleive that it is a pully or anything like that because it only occurs while driving not in park. If you have the vehicle in park and raise the motors rpms, you will not get the sound. Only when dirving the vehicle and only when accelerating.

I had a vacuum diaphram replaced on the transmission about a year and a half ago and thought that maybe the vacuum line came loose and the transmission was sucking air but, I think I found the line this morning and it appeared to be on good.

Maybe an internal transmission noise? I'm stumped!

Here, I took the clip you sent me, edited it into video and uploaded it.

View My Video

No problem, I see you did the same.

tinypic.com is the easiest place to use I think. I mean, it even gives you the code for message board posts.

Did you check this out?
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161590

Another sound my X made similar to yours was the little Vac caps on the pass side firewall by the ac unit. One had came off, and was making a whirring noise.
These sounds are hard to pinpoint, they sound like they come from every direction. Have a helper in the rig to press the gas pedal in park, and raise the RPM's. Listen close for the noise. Pay attention to the rpm when driving to see when it starts, and duplicate it in your driveway. If it makes no noise, it may be a tranny prob, a wheel bearing, or rear end issue.

gmanpaint,

Thanks for your input and I did read the other post but, I do not realy think that it applies to my situation. As stated in my previous post, the sound does not make the noise while in park. Therefore, I do not believe that it is a pully or anything like that because I would think that it would make the noise anytime.

This sound does not come and go...It happens everytime I dirve my vehicle and is just as loud inside the vehicle as outside the vehicle. The sound clip that I provided was from inside my vehicle with the windows up. It starts around 1500 rmp and only when I accelerate.

Since I had my wife stand on the brakes with the vehicle in drive and press the accelerator until the noise started(around 1500 rpm's), I do not believe that it is a whell bearing or rear end issue.

I do however think that it could be a vacuume issue or tranny issue as you suggested. I would definately hope the first rather than the later.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Tony

hmmm...I don't know a thing about trannys. Can you explain why it would be making that noise?

hmmm...I don't know a thing about trannys. Can you explain why it would be making that noise?

I am no tranny guy either. The fact that the noise only happens at a certain rpm, all the time, 0 mph, you cant find a vac leak, and the torque converter only starts to operate at a certain rpm. The fluids are forced through a series of channels inside the converter by centrifugal force. Once the rpms are at the point the converter was made to reach, it releases power to the transmission. It is your auto clutch. It could be cracked. It might be fine. Just thinking along the lines of your symptoms. Not trying to make mountains out of mohills, most of the time these are very small issues to deal with, and sometimes its like,"Smack! I shoulda had a v-8!" Simple prob, with a simple solution. Just keep asking, someone with a diff insight will help.:)

This sounds very reasonable and seems to be where the sound is comming from because as I said previously, it sounds like it is comming from behind the engine. I have been leaning towards a tranny issue since it only happens in drive under acceleration with the vehicle moving or not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back