High powered system - Best cables? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High powered system - Best cables?

Mista808

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I'm about to install 2 Kicker L7s with a KX1200.1 amp and I was wanting to know what brand/type of cables should I go with to run from the battery to the amp? There is a 0 guage out there right? Not sure which brand it is but I think Monster cables only go to 4 guage and I hear I need much better for the power I'm going to be running with these subs. All I need is the cable from the amp to the battery and then the cables for the subs to the amp right? I don't need a fuse or any of that weird stuff I don't think....

Just running the two subs with that amp on a Pioneer 7700MP head.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mista run the kicker cable, it is really high quality, high strand count (good), and it is incredibly flexible so it will be easier to run. that or IXOS. ixos is the #1 car stereo connection company in the world (in sales), monster is #1 in us but cant compete with IXOS quality. or innovative features. I will be running the 0 gauge GTi line When my new system comes around.
http://www.ixos.co.uk/car/

Mista808 said:
what do you mean a new mr. altenator setup?

Get a "High Output Unit" from Mr. Alternator.

Mista808 said:
I don't need a fuse or any of that weird stuff I don't think....

Yes, you do.

One of my buddies used 4 guage AMP KING power wire, available from Parts Express, for his wiring of four Alpine amps totalling 1800 watts in his 1991 GMC Sonoma. Pry a different situation though since he had a secondary battery back in the extended cab, and ran the cables from that.

actually i think you will be fine with a 4 gauge power wire kit..

i thought u were running 2 amps when i posted earlier my bad, just run a High-Quality 4 gauge kit, if in doubt look at the end of the power wire, and look at the copper strands the smaller they r and the more of them the better.

im runnin 4 awg and i have 2 15's and a 1800 watt amp and mine have been fine for along time Good luck

thanks guys - found out 4 gauge will be just fine (like some of you said already) I actually found out they don't even have 0 gauge for my amp. Regardless, just gonna get a 4 gauge kit for like 65 bucks :D ps - the infiniti 6 1/2s are in and they sound amazing :D

I run StreetWires 1/0 to my amps from the rear battery. My amps have 1/0 in lines

Ryan

Back