• Register Today It's free!

High pressure port valve leaks

bigtc1973

Reaction score
City, State
North Lauderdale, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer Sport XLT
My 97 explorer blew out the cap from the high pressure side of my a/c system and the valve stood open, leaked all of my freon. Can the valve be replaced with out replacing the whole hose assembly? I think this happened because the high pressure switch has gone bad bad? Any helped would be greatly appreciated as it is hot in South Florida!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum!

Check with an AC shop to be sure, but chances are it is a replaceable Schrader valve.

thanx, will do

Schrader valve replacement

I have had some success using the below tools and parts from amazon.
Some of the Schraders have a small ball on the top preventing engagement of the tool into the valve. Not all, but some.
edit: Some LP valves have the ball, same make/year of same vehicle will not have a ball. I don't know why that is in my limited experience. My aunts explorer has a ball over the LP valve, mine does not, or on the HP valve.

PICT0003-crop.jpg

The tools fit various model vehicles to include R-12 with the adapters
and prevent loss of freon. I have also used them to simply reseat leaking valves.
PICT0004-crop.jpg

In the event a valve needs replaced a kit comes in handy to have. Includes valves I'll never use.
PICT0005-crop.jpg

I'm tool *****, what can I say. I tend to pick up odd useful items that might be difficult to find locally and before I need them. I don't like shops very much except for things I'm not capable of. An alignment machine and lift come to mind as an example.

High Presure side port leak 94 Ranger 4.0 ohv

I am showing a leak on the high pressure side port. I have looked at it and do not see any type of schrader valve. I at first thought it had the ball fixt referred to preventing replacement of the valve but on closer inspection have found that it is not a ball there but a flat headed top with a small rubber seal on it, it is this seal where a small piece is poking up over the sealing lip that has the leak. I am able to press on the flat top seal and can feel spring action. There are no threads or other points to access the valve. Can anyone give me a hint on there experience with this setup? I am thinking I can cut me a new piece of rubber from an old inner tube and make a new seal, or does it require replacement of the high pressure hose?
94 Ranger 4.0 OHV

Thanks goes out to all the people have contributed to this site! From the most experienced to the first rookie post everything written has made this a wealth of information to the people who want to understand their vehicle.

I believe you are looking at the top of the schraeder valve. A valve tool will let you unscrew it and put in a new one.
You can use a valve tool available at most AP Stores.

Pics High Side Port

OneofMany-thanks for your input.
That high side port necks down as a funnel shape and I can say for sure the piece I see underneath the port is a round flat disk a few millimeters wider than that funnel shaped tube. This disk as I refer to it has no openings, slices, cuts or shoulders to it, to me it appears as just a hard, flat circle about 2 millimeters wider than the smallest opening in the funnel.
The rubber seal that I now have in my hand looks to be concave and about 2 mm's in thickness and about 4 millimeters wide. Could it have held the ball "fixt" referred to?

Sorry I am not a long time member to post pics or I would attach them with this post.

Ordered a new high side port valve. It is not a schraeder or anything similar to one. This unit is fully inoperable and must be replaced as an entire unit. It will screw on in place of the old one just remove from hose and screw the new unit on in its place, it is about 1" tall and 1/2" wide and looks to have thread diameter of about 1.5 or 1.75, it was found on Ebay as a replacement instead of having to buy a hose assembly, sadly to say the new one hasn't held up really well as the rubber has already started puffing out on the seal, this after new compressor, oil, dryer, orifice and cleaning and recharged. Looks like I will have to order another as this one is now leaking again. Man that cool air sure felt good while I had it.

Thanks guys!

Back