• Register Today It's free!

High Pressure Radiator Cap?

Detfruit

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 PIU
So I got into a really weird conversation with some dude in a harbor freight parking lot yesterday, as it usually goes.

He was really interested in the car but couldn't stop asking if this 2014 PIU had the high pressure radiator cap? I think he could've been messing w me...As far as I know it's 16lbs and only that, but this guy was absolutely adamant that a high pressure radiator cap was the most important thing that separated the men from the boys lol. Is there something I'm missing here?

Of course :laugh: I was googling just higher pressure radiator cap but was curious to if it was a fleet option in PIU's, I'm sure it can be put on the car, but it doesn't seem like it's that critical to the vehicles performance? I understand it raises the boiling point but I don't realistically see the point.. Especially if it's just a cheap cap like that hahaha

Of course :laugh: I was googling just higher pressure radiator cap but was curious to if it was a fleet option in PIU's, I'm sure it can be put on the car, but it doesn't seem like it's that critical to the vehicles performance? I understand it raises the boiling point but I don't realistically see the point.. Especially if it's just a cheap cap like that hahaha
Use of a higher than recommended pressure in the cooling system can cause serious problems, if the radiator itself is not designed to operate at higher than usual pressure. 16 psi is commonly the highest supplied cap by manufacturers. I have seen radiator structures visibly contract upon release of the pressure.

Back