High RPM Sound

121x

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Hi All,

I have a '13 explorer limited that whines at highway speed as if the RPM's were in the 3k's. However at 90kmh(55-60mph) its running about 1800-1900 rpm. I am wondering if these trucks are just inherently noisy or if I could have some strange less common gearing in there? It always sounds as though it may not be in 6th gear, but when I double check, sure enough it is. I have to come to suspect it really sounds like it is coming from the rear transfer case or drive shaft. Looking at the rear transfer case I see what appears to be a bit of fluid leak. There is what appears to be a black plastic cap up on the top that presses down and spins (used for filling perhaps?) That is pretty think with fluid.

Does this sound like the possibility of low transfer case fluid? Are there known problems with these trucks with similar issues? I have not really found any TSB's about it.

Thanks guys!

From my experience and from posts that I've read, the 5th generation Explorer is a fairly quiet vehicle. It also does not have an actual transfer case. It has a Power Transfer Unit (PTU) that apparently sits directly behind the transmission. There have been many members that have had PTU leaks or have had to replace them. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379087

Peter

Back