High School Chem Lab Fire | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

High School Chem Lab Fire

SkanlaxJMO

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Explosion in school lab injures 8
Beacon Journal staff report

A school chemistry lab fire early this afternoon injured eight people.

The accident occurred in a science class in Wilson Hall at Western Reserve Academy in Hudson shortly after 2 p.m.

According to Christopher Burner, academy spokesman, the fire was the result of a demonstration being conducted by the teacher.

``The teacher was using methane to demonstrate the spectrum of color,'' Burner said. He said there was a ``flash fire,'' which quickly was brought under control.

Hudson Fire Chief Bob Carter said the chemical involved was methanol.

Carter said that when the fire department arrived at the scene, the fire had been ``pretty well extinguished.''

Three students were treated at the academy's health center. Three other students, a teacher and the teacher's son were taken to Akron Children's Hospital. The students are ages 16 and 17.

The teacher's son, 12, attends sixth grade at Hudson Middle School. The boy didn't attend his school because he was out sick.

Four of the injured were admitted, a spokeswoman for the hospital said. The fifth was released, said spokeswoman Andrea Reynolds.

Hudson EMS and fire department, which responded to the explosion, said two of the five sent to the hospital had minor burns. The other three suffered more significant burns.

There was some damage to furniture, textbooks and book bags as well as some damage to the lab table.

Immediately following the flash fire the students and teacher involved hurried to showers installed in the back of the classroom specifically for such accidents.

Join the Elite Explorers $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SkanlaxJMO

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
One Girl recived 3rd Degree Burns and is in the hospital for posibly 2 weeks. The substance that caught fire was methenol not methane.

SkanlaxJMO

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Yeah it is it was an entire bottle of it.

chriswells78

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Powell(Columbus), OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited
Seems that they have something bad happen up there at least once a year?

SkanlaxJMO

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Probably

BigDave!!!

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 2WD
anybody else find it ironic that the academy spokesperson's name is burner?

SkanlaxJMO

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
there wasnt anybody else home
so he was in school with the teacher who was his mom...

BeauJ

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
In the early 90s, there was a lab fire at my high school in which the teacher and a student got 3rd degree burns all over. The teachers hand was soo badly burnt it was amputated. It was a rumor for a while, but I researched and found it was true. I asked teachers and they told me not to talk about it at school and acted like it didn't happen. I felt like I was in a freaky movie where they try to coverup something and say you're lying about it :D

SkanlaxJMO

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Updtae:the one girl had 3rd degree on 46% of her body and is in critical condidtion and then the 12 yeah old has 30% 3rd degree and is still in critical and the other girl is in fair condition