High speed and loud clicking sound | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High speed and loud clicking sound

Jaystn62

Reaction score
City, State
Owensboro,KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
I have a 2002 Explorer,4.0 with about 110,000 miles. I went to start it yesterday morning and was greeted with a loud, high speed clicking sound. Never had this sound before. I went to try to restart and only got a clunk. Checked cables, cleaned them and retried starting. Still just the clunk. I had to leave so took ole lady's car. Came back later and decided to try jumping it. Still just the clunking sound when I tried starting. But after several attempts it turned over and started. Now I had the fast and loud clicking sound. It speeds up and slows down with the throttle. Could this be starter or flexplate related? It was a sudden and was no build up of this sound so hoping not timing chain related. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A clunk at start is the starter bendix throwing but not turning.
Are you saying that it's starting then clicking?
Or not starting and clicking?

I'd take the battery in and have it load tested. Pulling the starter for testing is harder and they won't be able to load test it.

It starts....the loud clicking or tapping is while it is running. And it follows engine speed. Seems too fast to be a valve. It started Sunday morning. I started it and it had the sound and I instantly shut it off. Never had this before. Then it wouldn't start ...just the loud clunk from starter. I tried cleaning post, charger, then jumped from ole ladies car. Even when jumped I still just clunked. Then suddenly it started like usual but had the loud clicking or tapping. Will start now easily but the sound persist. Nothing lead up to this that I know of. The noise is only while it is running.

V6 or V8?

As stated in original post it's the 4.0 v6. Actually has about 111,000 miles.

Oh, well don't hide your engine size in the first sentence next time. :D

Chain guides can break and or tensions can collapse without oil pressure. Tensioners usually regain pressure after running and the chain slap goes away. Broken guides though, will allow the chains to continue to bounce around.

You can drop the pan and look for chunks of the guides, though they may not be there. You can also pull the valve covers for access.

Timing components are the typical cause of engine noise.

The V6's don't offer much room for error, unlike the V8's. I'd not run it at all until you can verify if the timing is the issue. Complete failure here will cost you an engine.

This actually sounds so much like a loud click or tap....not a slap. It is very constant and the best word I can use is definite. Not like a chain slap. Almost like when you use to put a playing card in spokes of a bike wheel except loud and very pronounced. Why it has me thinking since I had trouble starting it Sunday morning it's related to starter or flexplate. If it is the timing chains then it's not worth fixing. Going to get stethoscope Thursday and hunt around.

Motor not warm enough for fan to turn.

Have never seen mine turn until it heats up since I've owned it. I know from experience how sound can travel through metal but thinking this is coming more from rear of motor.

Have never seen mine turn until it heats up since I've owned it. I know from experience how sound can travel through metal but thinking this is coming more from rear of motor.

Odd, we are talking about a belt driven one right? (no idea if different years switched to electric) if so, I think you could possibly be in need of a new fan clutch soon.

If coming from the rear it's most likely the torque converter.

It's belt driven. And it spins just fine after a few minutes of warming up. Going to take drive belt off also just to see if that eliminates it. I read some other threads where they thought sound was coming from somewhere else...took drive belt off and sound was gone. Hope I'm that lucky. Also going to use stephoscope to make sure where noise is coming from.

If your belt driven fan doesn't spin at all on a cold start, you have a bad fan clutch. They always spin hard and fast when cold for a minute or so until they warm up a little then operate like normal. Even the electric clutch fans on the 06+ will spin like a normal clutch fan cold, but have the ability to power the clutch more when A/C is on or its hot out.

Interesting. Never had an overheating issue though.

If your belt driven fan doesn't spin at all on a cold start, you have a bad fan clutch. They always spin hard and fast when cold for a minute or so until they warm up a little then operate like normal. Even the electric clutch fans on the 06+ will spin like a normal clutch fan cold, but have the ability to power the clutch more when A/C is on or its hot out.

agreed.gif

Got around to using stethoscope today. Sound seems to be coming from back of motor. Mostly around start area and drivers side. Friend of mine said it seemed loudest from underneath. He also said he had never heard a sound like that before from a 4.0 and it's definitely not timing chains. I asked him to look because he worked in a Ford garage before coming to work where we do now. I also put it in drive and reverse. Transmission operation seems normal with no change in sound in relation to being under a load. Just engine rpm.

Was going to post a video but evidently can't post attachments.

Put it on YouTube and give a link.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back