high speed howling in a lifted 1st gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

high speed howling in a lifted 1st gen

cerberusaardvark

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer xlt
hey guys,
just wondering if it i normal for a lifted truck to have a wind induced howling at speeds above 25 mph. it starts as a low howl then works its way up to a high humming noise on the freeway. ive had my lift on for less than a year- about only 3500- 5000 miles.

i always figured it had something to do with more of the undercarriage in the front exposed giving wind resistance. its definitely not bearings, tires, loose components, i just finished with the last of the suspension fine tuning.

it literally sounds like the wind howling the way it does in storms.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You sure it's not the tires? I've heard some loud howling from trucks with big tires. Maybe the tires have been worn in enough to make them howl?

You don't even need to have big tires for them to howl. I had 31 ground hawgs and you could hear me from a block away. Depends on the tread and size

I don't know about a howl, but I've heard of Ford engineers describing wind noise as "hooting" and it can be caused by bad aerodynamics or panel gaps. The lift alone wouldn't cause it, I don't think, but if you have body panels significantly tweaked or modifications like aftermarket bumpers, snorkel, etc, I could see those causing air noise. The stock truck body design wouldn't make noise but any changes to it adding gaps and such could cause noise.

im totally stumped.

i have the stock wheels with general grabber at2's in 235x75x15, got about 8000 miles on those.

there isnt any body damage or gaps on the truck. i do have a bug reflector though.

i also haven noticed a decrease in mpgs either.

Could be the trans or wheel bearings.

Back