• Register Today It's free!

High Speed Shaking

hitman17mk

Reaction score
City, State
Southwick, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
ok, so after about 65 my explorer shakes and the faster you go, the worse it gets and at avbout 95-100 its sakin liek a ****, got the tires balanced and the rotors turned down, helped a little bit but it is still VERY noticeable to the poiunt where some passangers get worried. any body got any ideas?

got a 02 eddie with the 4.0 sohc 4x4. also i get a shaky idle to but only when in park or netural, if its in gear its fine.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

slow down,,, dont go 95 to 100

Could be a bad u-joint, bent wheel, tire tread seperating, tire worn funny, alignment off.

Hopefully he meant KPH and not MPH;) but anyways which way does it feel like it shakin? up/down or side to side if it shakin up/down then u might have a bad shock(s) if it's side to side then something in the steering might be worn out.

hope this helps

it could be your tires. some tires wear wrong and also were not made to be driven 90-100 if worn. if the tires were made for your truck and new, i would guess you have a bent frame or something else that would cause it to shake at high speeds. but i am thinking your tires are not new and maybe worn down unevenly which would not be corrected in an alignment...even a balancing. the treads must meet the street at an even distance or at high speeds would make your truck shake. imo

Hopefully he meant KPH and not MPH;) but anyways which way does it feel like it shakin? up/down or side to side if it shakin up/down then u might have a bad shock(s) if it's side to side then something in the steering might be worn out.

hope this helps

shoot it says massachusets he must be one of those crappy drivers that speed around and wonder why they have blowouts.

got a 02 eddie with the 4.0 sohc 4x4. also i get a shaky idle to but only when in park or netural, if its in gear its fine.

Thanks

maybe its a timing issue.....sounds like a rough idle.

I was reading yesterday that a worn CV Joint could cause a front end vibration.

shoot it says massachusets he must be one of those crappy drivers that speed around and wonder why they have blowouts.

yea that would be me :), well i;m gonn go to the shop and chekc the u joints and CV joints

hm

I have sort of the same problem. Mine centers at 62 MPH. Some times, it doesn't show for a few miles, sometimes, as I break 60, it is bad. 70, the front end is shaking from Driver to passenger side hard.

It started when I put a set of oversized used tires on. I took it to two seperate places to get it balanced. No fix. It has shook it until I bump steer a little bit now, and I can hear the occasional grind in a hard right-hand turn.

Pretty certain its' the driver side tire.

So, I am replacing the tire, and the hub bearing part, and hope I am done with that. It is *impossible* to drive 60 on I40 at rush hour. Old women are flipping me off.... LOL

-Shawn

check engine mounts too....

I'm chasing the same issue with a 2000 4wd X, 96k miles. Replaced the following since Jan 4 Rancho shocks, 4 Michelin tires, 4 rotors, 4 sets of brake pads, upper and lower ball joints,new rear u-joints and drive shaft checked for balance. Removed front driveshaft. Alignment, 3 different tire balancing and one was a road force balance. Shake starts around 65mph and gets worse the faster you go. Where do I go next?

Hey gap.... try radius arm bushings next.

& if hitman says he's doing 100 MPH, then he is just trying to get out of the way of the guy behind him with connicutt plates :)

Walter

If all else fails, i had the same vibration in my jeep 4wd at 100k miles, starts at about 60mph got worse up to 80mph and I could feel it in the seat of my pants. Turned out to be the transfer case. After I had the T/C rebuilt the vibrations where gone. The transmission guy figured it out on a hoist while he ran it up to 70mph, then he took each piece off one at a time, drive shafts and once he removed the T/C the vibes where gone.

Well,

I put four new tires on it with a lower load range, balanced and a front end alignment and that quietened it up some. I then replaced the drivers front hub, and I think that helped. Still does it. Everyone just says to take the tires off, but I like how it looks too much.

-Shawn

….. 15 year old thread.

Good luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back