Highest Mileage 5th Generation Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Highest Mileage 5th Generation Explorer

Sixonemale

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 XLT Appearance Pkg
Because I’ve owned a ’91 and ’02 Explorer in the past and am familiar with how long their engines ran as well as maintenance. I’m curious about high mileage fifth generation Explorer's and what major repairs were encountered, like a water pump, PTU, etc. The older generation Explorers could be driven to about 150,000 to 200,000 miles with a fairly low maintenance cost with the possible exception of a transmission rebuild.

I know this generation of Explorers is fairly young, but would really like to hear from those, if any, that have 125,000 miles plus on the 3.5 L engines with or without turbos. Obviously, high miles at this point and time would mean quite a bit freeway driving, but still it's worth hearing from those owners.

I’ll start, I have 2015, 3.5 NA with about ~50,000 miles and have had no major repairs, but have had have to replace parts on the front suspension to get rid of clanks/creaks, etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my 95 ( that i still have, has 287,000 ) my 16 only 24,000

my 95 ( that i still have, has 287,000 ) my 16 only 24,000

You've done very well with your '95, congrats. I'm very curious to see how this generation does as it gets into the higher miles, types of repairs and if they are major.

My 16 sport is at 28,x.. miles. There is a similar conversation on the Ford Explorers 5th Generation FB group.

This highest numbers I saw on there were: 133k with the 3.5L and 110k with a 2013 Sport.

My 16 sport is at 28,x.. miles. There is a similar conversation on the Ford Explorers 5th Generation FB group.

This highest numbers I saw on there were: 133k with the 3.5L and 110k with a 2013 Sport.

Were there any major repairs on 3.5L NA or 3.5L Turbo engines associated with water pumps, turbos, etc.?

My 2015 Explorer 3.5 NA has about 36900 miles on it. No major repairs yet only oil changes and the cabin air filter changes.

My 2014 Sport has a little over 106,000 miles. The only major repair its had so far is a replacement of the PTU at 102K miles.

Mine is a 2013 sport and it has 58k miles on it. The turbo was replaced in 2016 and the air condition lines and the rear heating and air conditioning assembly replaced in 2017.The turbo was replaced before I purchased it. Both repairs were done under warranty.

Out of warranty, front right upper strut mount. Oil changes, tires, brakes/rotors, 1 battery at my cost. Coolant change was done around 115k.

15226069724563011581400113005908.jpg

Things that could be replaced but I wont:

Both power folding mirrors click when folding in and out. Both glass click when adjusting. Keyless entry pad on drivers door does not recognize every touch. The 7/8 and 9/0 dont always work.

All tabs performed, shift to park replaced under esp. Epas replaced twice under extended coverage.

Guys, OP is looking for 6 digits on the odometer, please keep this thread tied to that.

Guys, OP is looking for 6 digits on the odometer, please keep this thread tied to that.
I guess this one thread I'll never be posting in with my numbers.:D

Peter

My 2014 Sport has a little over 106,000 miles. The only major repair its had so far is a replacement of the PTU at 102K miles.
Bad Odor? o Broken?

Bad Odor? o Broken?

It started out with an odor, and then eventually turned into a humming noise under acceleration. I found about the need to change the PTU oil too late to be of any help to the original unit.

It started out with an odor, and then eventually turned into a humming noise under acceleration. I found about the need to change the PTU oil too late to be of any help to the original unit.
U Ptu Unit Have Cooling?

I thought the Sports have the same cooling the PIU does for the PTU

I might be off base. I'm away for work so I can't go look underneath and see for sure.

I do happen to have the VIN with me so I plugged it into a Ford parts website and came up with the two selections for a PTU. It gives two choices for a PTU, one with a cooler and one without. It says the one with a cooler does not fit my vehicle.

Capture.JPG

I might be off base. I'm away for work so I can't go look underneath and see for sure.

I do happen to have the VIN with me so I plugged it into a Ford parts website and came up with the two selections for a PTU. It gives two choices for a PTU, one with a cooler and one without. It says the one with a cooler does not fit my vehicle.

View attachment 157239
this is a good data I thought that all sports had cooling in the ptu

this is a good data I thought that all sports had cooling in the ptu

I also thought all Sports had PTU cooling. An article written for SAE by Ford stated as such. Our Sport has PTU cooling (at least it has cooling lines on the outside of the PTU)... That is very interesting.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had just shy of 140k on my 13 before i traded it in on my 17. Only problems i had were the PTU @100k and the Bank1 sensor2 O2sensor @125k (both fixed under extended warranty) Strut mount bearings were going out and rattling every once in a while but i never fixed them.

Other than that.. it was a very solid vehicle. So solid that i bought another one. (And thats something I never do).

Back