hight fuel consumption and loss of power | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hight fuel consumption and loss of power

udo

Reaction score
City, State
SOUTH AFRICA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Hi, I please need some advise here. Since a while fuel consumption is up by 30% and when I push the accelerator I loose power. When the engine in the morning I smell fuel from the exhaust pipe. Testing showed me 02 sensors are faulty. If I'm not mistaken on my 97 XLT SOHC I have 4. Do I have to replace them all? I can't get them here in SA and have to import. Any good web-sites suggestions for me?
Thanks for your advise and input !!!

I just know that I started getting O2 sensor errors a couple years ago. They error comes and goes. Sometimes pulling the sensors and clearning them helps for a while. When I had it looked into, the sensors were about $150 each for the ford OEM. 4x150 = $600 in sensors. Much more than I want to spend. I was also told that it is worth it to spend the extra $30-40 for the oem sensors because the cheap ones do not last as long.

I would try cleaning them.

After that, you can try ebay. I see some on there right now for $37 buy it now price.

Definitely eBay. Sounds to me like you may want to check your spark plugs as well. If they look not brand new, replace them. Smelling the fuel makes me wonder... Sounds like the makings of a slipped timing... but I have no experience with explorer timing, just jap cars.

rockauto.com... Good prices and fast shipping. Get them replaced a fast as you can before they destroy yours cats.

Back