• Register Today It's free!

Hill Start Assist Failure

TJDocPD

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Ford Explorer
We have only had our Explorer for 3 months and the Hill Assist Failure has occurred 4 times now and it completely shuts the car off. The dealer tells us the problem is fixed, then it happens again. I am worried about are safety, anyone have ideas as to why this is happening?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We have only had our Explorer for 3 months and the Hill Assist Failure has occurred 4 times now and it completely shuts the car off. The dealer tells us the problem is fixed, then it happens again. I am worried about are safety, anyone have ideas as to why this is happening?
welcome to EF! hope it can be resolved soon!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I don't know if anyone else has experienced this issue. Since the vehicle is under warranty, it is up to the dealer to resolve it. Saying it's "fixed" when it clearly isn't doesn't excuse them from digging into this further. Take it back again until it is actually fixed or go to another dealer.

Peter

Mine had it twice now and each time I end up with a bent, vibrating driveshaft.

20220801_173550.jpg 20220801_173610.jpg 20220801_173628.jpg 20220801_173654.jpg Screenshot_20220818-093253_FordPass.jpg

Hello

Our 2022 Ford Explorer is experiencing this. We have 13k on it and have had nothing but weird issues for the last couple months.

First time it made some weird noise, became hesitant and jerky, and a bunch of display messages appeared. Once we pulled over and stopped (didn’t turn it off) the car was fine and the messages disappeared on their own.

Second time it made a loud noise almost like the sound ABS brakes make and it became jerky and hesitant, we pulled over, and stopped (didn’t turn it off). All kinds of display messages appeared again but as soon as we stopped they would disappear. The car was fine after we stopped.

Third time it made a different noise sounded more like belts, the fuel gauge dropped to empty, became jerky and hesitant, all kinds of display messages popped up. We pulled over and stopped and all was fine again.

Fourth time was different we were sitting in a parking space and all of a sudden hill assist came on the display and the car shut itself off. I turned it back on and it had a really rough idle. I turned it off and turned it back on and it was fine.

Fifth time same thing happened but I was at a stop light, hill assist came on the display and the car shut off. Turned it back on and it had a rough idle again. Turned back off and back on and all was fine. The fourth and fifth episode happened within 4 days of each other.

First time we thought maybe it was a glitch in the matrix. Second time we brought it into ford we have all the warranties on it. They reset the computer. Third time we brought it back they found some codes and did a complete computer reset. We’re bringing it back again. Hopefully they find something.

"First time it made some weird noise, became hesitant and jerky, and a bunch of display messages appeared. Once we pulled over and stopped (didn’t turn it off) the car was fine and the messages disappeared on their own." - yes
, I had that twice.
I have an appointment with Ford service this morning to just read the car memory for error codes. I hope this will be more informative.
Kristen - did you also get the drive shaft vibration now? At a bout 35 to 40mph? My car isn't quite shaking but it is certainly noticeable (to me ...)

"First time it made some weird noise, became hesitant and jerky, and a bunch of display messages appeared. Once we pulled over and stopped (didn’t turn it off) the car was fine and the messages disappeared on their own." - yes
, I had that twice.
I have an appointment with Ford service this morning to just read the car memory for error codes. I hope this will be more informative.
Kristen - did you also get the drive shaft vibration now? At a bout 35 to 40mph? My car isn't quite shaking but it is certainly noticeable (to me ...)
Hi,

I haven’t experienced any vibration yet.

We have a 2020 model with 35,000 on it and it's done this to us 4 times in the last month. It's even shifted itself into park while the vehicle was moving at low speeds twice. When this happens, the car dies and the trans parking pin is grinding like crazy. The Hill Start assist lights flash and come on the DIC. The car will restart when the button is pushed but the engine hesitates and sputters for a short while afterwards. Once it's cleared up, the vehicle will run fine again. We've had it into the dealership three times in the last three weeks and they tell us they reflash the module and since it doesn't replicate the issue, they think they have it fixed.

It's back in the shop again for the same issue since it just happened again the other night. I have noticed that since the dealership reprogramed the computer to activate the parking brake everytime it's in park or a door is opened, is when all of this started. Before that programing, the issue was non existant.

I'mhoping FORD comes out with something soon because I can only imagine what this is doing to the inside of the trans and how long will it take for major issues to show up after it's out of warranty?

We have a 2020 model with 35,000 on it and it's done this to us 4 times in the last month. It's even shifted itself into park while the vehicle was moving at low speeds twice. When this happens, the car dies and the trans parking pin is grinding like crazy. The Hill Start assist lights flash and come on the DIC. The car will restart when the button is pushed but the engine hesitates and sputters for a short while afterwards. Once it's cleared up, the vehicle will run fine again. We've had it into the dealership three times in the last three weeks and they tell us they reflash the module and since it doesn't replicate the issue, they think they have it fixed.

It's back in the shop again for the same issue since it just happened again the other night. I have noticed that since the dealership reprogramed the computer to activate the parking brake everytime it's in park or a door is opened, is when all of this started. Before that programing, the issue was non existant.

I'mhoping FORD comes out with something soon because I can only imagine what this is doing to the inside of the trans and how long will it take for major issues to show up after it's out of warranty?
After our computer had a complete reset the parking brake started engaging when the explorer was placed in park we thought something was wrong because it never did this before so after I did some research I read about the vehicle rolling away in park so this was their bandaid fix to the issue. After they did our reset now we have the hill assist issue.

It's crazy how one "fix" creates more problems that they won't admit to.

, I had that twice.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Just curious but do you also have Auto Hold enabled?

Peter

It's crazy how one "fix" creates more problems that they won't admit to.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
To the best of my knowledge, no other members except those in this thread have encountered this problem after having the software upgraded to engage the parking brake. I am also on the Lincoln forum where the same update has been done without issue.

Peter

After our computer had a complete reset the parking brake started engaging when the explorer was placed in park we thought something was wrong because it never did this before so after I did some research I read about the vehicle rolling away in park so this was their bandaid fix to the issue. After they did our reset now we have the hill assist issue.
Hi Kristen. The engagement of the parking brake when shifting to 'Park' is now standard on new Explorers and Aviators so I don't know if I'd call it a "bandaid" solution. It is a 'safety' feature.

Peter

I went to the dealership this morning to get a loaner vehicle while they have ours. Apparently there is a TSB that they believe or VIN falls under for a leaking gasket in the trans, causing some of our symptoms. The fix is to replace the gasket if it's just leaking but also inspect the parking pin and if there is damage to it, basically tear the trans down for a rebuild. :oops:

Fingers crossed this will cure the issue.

Hi Kristen. The engagement of the parking brake when shifting to 'Park' is now standard on new Explorers and Aviators so I don't know if I'd call it a "bandaid" solution. It is a 'safety' feature.

Peter
Definitely a bandaid fix. Hundreds of thousands of explorers were recalled because they would just roll away when in park. A software update came out that would engage the parking brake all the time when in park. This to me is a bandaid fix and not actually fixing the true problem.

I don't but that was enabled full time after the last update.
Have not heard that before. I don't have my Auto HOld enabled because I just find it too intrusive.

Peter

Definitely a bandaid fix. Hundreds of thousands of explorers were recalled because they would just roll away when in park. A software update came out that would engage the parking brake all the time when in park. This to me is a bandaid fix and not actually fixing the true problem.
I guess whether it is a "bandaid" solution is up to the individual. The fact that this "solution" is now being implemented on the production line seems to indicate it now a standard item. At least it has been addressed and perhaps this feature is a good thing in the first place.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peter

It's bandaid because they only had to do this to solve the issue of a single rear differential bolt breaking, making it possible for the vehicle to roll away when placed in park. Had they kept the 2 bolt subframe, there would be no "fix". At least that's my take on the situation.

Back