History of your first gen Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

History of your first gen Explorer

BearHug

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
Hello Everyone,

I thought it be fun to hear some stories about the history of your first gen Explorer. A lot can happen over a few decades, and I’m sure there are some compelling tales to share on your Explorer’s origins. After talking with the previous owner of my 1994 Ford Explorer XLT, and doing some digging through glove-box documents I was able to discover a fairly neat story. In February 2015, I became the third owner of my Explorer.

The 4x4 was originally purchased from a dealership in downtown Anchorage in 1994. I thought it was neat that the owner’s manual still has a “Ford Explorer” pen as well as colorized 4x4 supplement guide.

The original owner is the mother of the second owner. While with owner #1 it was put into action as a shuttle for an RV camp. It was used to transport airline passengers to and from Anchorage International Airport (now Ted Stevens International Airport) in Anchorage, Alaska through the 90s. I imagine it got some good use during the summer tourist months. I only recently discovered that in a certain light on my car’s back left side that numbers are still visible from some kind of decal or paint for the shuttle service.

The car later became a daily driver for the second owner sometime in the late 90s/early 2000s, and was often used by family members visiting through the years. When I purchased the car it came with about seven keys to start the car – owner #2 said they had gotten copies for family members over the years and accumulated all the copies. Some of the keys have the word “Explorer” engraved into the metal.

The car would at some point in the late 2000s become a second car for owner #2 and saw its usage decline to almost nothing.

I met the previous owner on a frosty morning in February. Temperatures had been regularly in the negative territory, and I needed something reliable to get me between work without sliding out on the ice. The car was bone stock, and still retained much of it’s entirely red interior though it had a funky, funk in there – later discovered the red floor mats had been compromised; they all smelled of vomit so I tossed and replaced with some rigid mats. The car had the shocks of a jalopy, but I liked it so I made the investment – since replaced, so key for a nice ride!

He told me the car had some “electrical gremlins,” which I’ve been battling in one form or another since I’ve owned it – will explain that in detail in its own thread.

After settling on a price, I purchased the car and owner #2 took a long look at the Explorer before letting it go saying he was “going to miss it,” and for me to “take care of it.”

The car would die on me days later while going to work in the snow at 6 in the morning. A man in a large Ford pick up helped me try and jump -- to no avail – and then helping me push it off the road – my front grille snapped during this process. Replaced the battery later and all was good. Grille since replaced from another XLT – Anchorage is a gold mine for dead Explorers and parts.

I’ve since done a good amount of upgrading, and transformed it into the most reliable car I’ve ever owned. It’s been a fun learning experience, and I hope to continue the nice 115,000 mile history of my Explorer by adding another 115,000 on the clock.

What's your story?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine is a tale of two Explorers. My dad got a black 92 Explorer with red pinstriping and a red leather interior, sunroof, audiophile stereo. Really sharp truck. I partially learned to drive in this. He drove it forever, even coming to see me after I left home. Finally, one day in 2009...maybe 10, the transmission developed issues at over 500,000 miles. He called it quits on that one.

He went car shopping and looked at different things. He settled on a very nicely maintained 1994 XLT, electric current red, mocha interior. I came home to visit and got to drive it. I liked this one just as well.

He had it until he passed in March 2014, and it was decided that it would go to me. I picked it up in June, after things had settled a bit. Not a bit too soon, either, as my car at the time had its engine cradle rust through. I got in it to start it, and it wouldn't start. It was the fuel pump relay!

Little over a year later, and after a bit of upgrading and lots of work, here I am. One of my favorite vehicles!

Woah, 500,000 miles!? That's an impressive run.

Glad to hear your dad's Explorer is still going. It's funny you mentioned the fuel pump relay as that's one of the electrical gremlins I inherited with my 94 XLT.

It's strange, sometimes when I turn the key I won't hear the fuel pump whirr on, but if I pop the hood and tap the fuse box the fuel pump comes right on and the car will start. Replaced the relay, but still happens every now and again. Think I got some wires loose or exposed somewhere.

Thanks for sharing your story.

My Explorer has had a bit of a hard life... without giving out too much personal info about previous owners, here's what I know:

The previous owner (referred to as PO), who is a good friend of mine, shared ownership of the vehicle between him and his son. When the PO originally got it, it was a county impound. Whether it was repossessed or stolen or abandoned, I don't know. The PO was good friends with persons involved and ended up paying $1 for the vehicle plus towing costs and paperwork. Got it and fixed it up. Used it in a very snowy climate, the Explorer replaced the PO's dying Jeep. Somewhere along the lines on an icy road, the PO rammed an oncoming car, both drivers had lost control. The other car was totaled, the Explorer survived with bumper, light, fender, hood and rad support damage:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/464376/vehicles/1991 Explorer/Pictures/P1010389.JPG
I've since replaced the bumper & headlight assembly.

Some time after, the trans dies, no longer going into gear. The PO had a friend that was knowledgeable and the two yanked the trans and had it rebuilt with upgraded parts. All the hard parts (the ones that tend to break) were upgraded. I was told the clutches looked brand new and weren't replaced. With the trans out, the PO also replaced the rocker arms & pushrods, fixing the annoying ticking issue.

Fast forward a few years and the PO moves to where I'm now located, gets another car and trades the Explorer to his son. This is where things go downhill. He's a nice guy, I've met him but we all come from the same place and learn things in life. This was his first car, before he knew about the importance of maintenance and treating the things you have nicely. The interior got beat up, oil didn't get changed when it should have and somewhere along the lines, a shock mount broke and didn't get fixed for a while. The worst thing that happened was that it got stolen (which I think is the 2nd time in it's history). Whoever stole it really did a number. Busted the steering column all to hell, made it so using the key was very difficult and some keys no longer worked. The PO's son got it back somehow and wired in a push-start ignition.

From there, it was swapped back and fourth (nobody wanted the poor thing!) between the PO and his son, being driven across state lines each time (at least it's reliable). Finally, the son got his own vehicle and so did the PO, neither of them wanted it. The PO had it sit around his property and used it to occasionally haul wood for winter and a few other things. Needless to say, it got neglected. The PO would start it up and drive it on occasion but not much beyond that.

This is where I come along. I met the PO doing work for him and after becoming friends we get together one day and out of nowhere says "you want to buy a car?". I ask a few things, he says "It's that blue one outside, the Explorer, go take a look. Key's in it if you want to take it for a drive but you have to use the push button to start it." Now, at this point in my life, I knew almost nothing about mechanical work or engines. I had only changed oil on a vehicle twice and my knowledge mostly consisted of changing spark plugs on lawnmowers. But, needing a 4x4 vehicle (It can snow quite a bit and I live on a nasty driveway and rural area), I figured it would be a good winter beater and maybe I would learn a thing or two fixing some of the issues. I went out, took it for a drive and before asking the price or looking at it's condition, I knew it was mine, I knew I would be driving it home.

A few months go by as the PO takes care of some life stuff and finds the title. It ends up being late fall/early winter before I get to take it home. Naturally, it snows on the day I go to pick it up, my 2 wheel drive Suburban BARELY makes it to his place even with new tires. Being good friends with the PO at this point, we talk about the shortcomings of the Explorer, the major issues it has. It struggles to go into 1st gear when cold, hard starting, lifter tick, power steering leak, grinding in 4x4, bad ball joints and other things. I paid $325 for it and drove it home in the snow. Being my first 4x4 vehicle, I was blown away by the control and traction it offered, even on balding Chinese tires. I knew it was the right vehicle at the right time for me.

In 3 months, I'll have had the Explorer for 2 years. I've poured more money into it than it's worth and done a helluva lot more to it than I ever thought I would. It still has it's shortcomings but despite the poor condition it was in when I got it, it has NEVER given me any doubt to it's reliability. With every repair I do, I get more and more amazed that it's lived this long. 228,000 miles of enjoyment and reliability and I hope to get more :)

Somewhere in the PO's timeline, many other things were done like a new radiator, rear axle bearings & seals, new fuel pump, new radius arm bushings (I gave the PO a big hug when I realized those nasty rivets were taken care of!), new alternator, used 93TM head off of an Aerostar (passenger side is still original) and countless other things. The PO told me that it would be quicker to name the places he hasn't been into on the vehicle. It may not have always had the best treatment but it was taken care of by someone knowledgeable. The reason the PO got rid of it was lack of time and interest to take care of it's issues. He knew it had potential for the right person and that's the only reason he held onto it.

A short list of most of the things I've done to make it mine and make it more reliable/safe:
Code:
Transmission pan drop, replace filter & gasket, cleaned pan, filled with NAPA ATF.
Upper & lower ball joint, spindle shaft bearings, repack wheel bearings on driver's side.
Front manual hub o-rings replaced, cleaned out old grease.
Front sway bar bushings replaced.
Battery cables replaced.
Power steering pump & hoses replaced, steering box adjusted and fluid flushed with Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic ATF.
ECT, IAT, O2 sensors replaced.
MAF, IAC, Throttle Body cleaned.
Replaced fuel filter.
Replaced serpentine belt and both pulleys.
Tested coil pack, installed new spark plugs & wires.
Replaced vacuum lines with silicone hose.
Differential fluids flushed with 80W-90, filled with Mobil 1 75W-90 synthetic approx 2,000 miles later.
Flushed transfer case, filled with Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic ATF.
Spindle bearing, brake hose & outer u-joint replaced, slip yoke greased, wheel bearings packed on passenger side.
Flushed and bled brake system, filled with NAPA DOT3.
Replaced oil pan gasket, timing cover gasket, water pump gasket, front crankshaft seal, rear crankshaft seal, timing assembly, motor mounts, radiator and heater hoses, core/soft plugs and installed block heater.
Replaced all 4 shocks with KYB Gas-A-Just.
Installed new Monroe rear glass lift shocks and used set of rear taillights.
Installed new 4-hole Mustang fuel injectors and fuel pressure regulator.
Replaced upper & lower intake manifold and valve cover gaskets with Mangum silicone and Permatex The Right Stuff.
Installed new severe duty fan clutch, Stant SuperStat thermostat and radiator cap.
Installed new Sealed Power rocker arms and pushrods, rotated rocker arm shaft 180*.

There's just something about the 1st gen Explorers, their owners and this community. It's unique... we all "get it". We care about our old clunkers in a way nobody should. Maybe we're loyal to them because they're reliable and loyal to us or maybe just a fond memory brings us back to them. Whatever it is, I'm happy to be a part of it.

Woah, 500,000 miles!? That's an impressive run.

Glad to hear your dad's Explorer is still going. It's funny you mentioned the fuel pump relay as that's one of the electrical gremlins I inherited with my 94 XLT.

It's strange, sometimes when I turn the key I won't hear the fuel pump whirr on, but if I pop the hood and tap the fuse box the fuel pump comes right on and the car will start. Replaced the relay, but still happens every now and again. Think I got some wires loose or exposed somewhere.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Yeah, that first one was an awesome truck. If I find one like it, and have the cash, it'll be mine. No question. I haven't seen one with that color combo since, let alone the options for that model year.

My Explorer as it is now has 172k miles. My list includes plugs and wires, IAC, MAF, fuel filter, completely new stereo and speakers (all Kenwood), new seats out of a '95 that had the same color interior, battery (mom replaced that before she gave it to me), new muffler and part of the exhaust, ball joints, steering knuckle, new fuel pump relay and blower motor relays, a couple sensors, found a cargo cover to hide the sub and amp, new spare rim, and because she blew a head gasket just after Christmas, that got done. I've replaced a few extra minor things, just because they were worn or what have you and I found a cheap, nice replacement.

This vehicle has helped me to learn a lot about auto repair! I'm even restoring my other car at this point, because I discovered I enjoy it. I worked on cars before, but because it was out of necessity, I just wasn't feeling it. This was for enjoyment, on a vehicle I like that also has sentimental value. So, taking my time and doing research, and being on this forum guided me to do better work and teach me things I never thought of.

You may want to check the wiring to that relay center. God knows what can happen to electrical stuff after this many years. :p

My first one was my old 92 4 door 5 speed 2wd bought in Dec 2010, I was the second owner at 194k miles. I drove it until 234k when I got my 2nd 4wd model (first one didn't last long after I found a bent frame).

My sport in my signature I am the 3rd owner that was bought in August 2014 and it has 232k (I think) which I bought it at 218k with recent head work done. I replied to a Craigslist ad that said title issues call and so I did. Title had a loan against it, I asked the payoff she said let me call you back. Within 30minutes the title was free and clear and I offered her the asking price with no title of $800. She reluctantly said yes. Anymore the truck sits because I drive a semi and am rarely home.

Ol' Ruby came from Nebraska and lived in Oregon near Portland when I bought her in 2006. Had the fuel relay problem and I had no idea at the time and sold her for 400 bucks to a friend in 2012. He passed in 2014 and I got the chance to buy her back from his estate for the same price.

Same fuel relay issue every so often but I keep spares. She still runs and drives like the old days. Lives at the beach now. Windshield leaks, needs a muffler maybe but she is like a locomotive when she rumbles down the road. I love my truck.

November 1994 XLT with the Electric Currant CC paint job and tow package from the factory. Second gen wheels.

Love all these stories.

Back