• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Hit some snags pulling my motor

matt351

Reaction score
City, State
Terre Haute, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
I'm about 99% sure that I have everything unhooked, but something still seems like it's keeping this thing from coming out. A buddy mentioned torque converter bolts? It's been 10 years since I've pulled a motor and I'm kinda drawing a blank on this one. Are there bolts holding the converter to the flywheel on the 4.0 sohc?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

1997XLTRollover

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 AWD 5.0
Yes. Every automatic has them. Pull your starter out and have someone turn the engine by hand. You should see 4 nuts as you turn it over. Take those off and it will separate.

matt351

Reaction score
City, State
Terre Haute, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
Thank you sir! Next question... I'm not in front of the truck right now, but what can be done if the motor is locked up? I'm going to guess it won't want to rotate over enough to get these 4 bolts out.

Tech By Trade

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Your mom's house
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Sport Trac
You can pull the torque converter out with the engine, you just need another foot to pull it forward. You also have to make damn sure its put back in correctly or you will destroy the pump on your transmission. Usually not worth it, but if you cant turn the engine one complete revolution to access all the bolts at all you really have no other option.

matt351

Reaction score
City, State
Terre Haute, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
Okay so if I'm forced to pull the converter with the motor it should just slide right out? If I recall, installing the converter I've had to spin it a bit to get it to click into place 3 times. Is the reverse not the same for pulling it?

Mike65

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
In my garage working on one of our vehicles.
City, State
Toms River, NJ / Horsepasture, Virginia.
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Ranger 4x4, 99 Sport.
When removing the torque converter it should just pull out.

matt351

Reaction score
City, State
Terre Haute, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
Perfect! Thanks everyone!

1997XLTRollover

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 AWD 5.0
It'll just slide forward if the engine is locked but I'll almost bet you have to pull the trans out with it too and do this outside the truck. I don't think you'll have enough room to get it all the way off the input shaft of the trans with it still in the truck. But yes as you said you have to be sure the converter drops all the way in when putting it back together. Usually 2-3 times it will drop down before it's fully seated.