• Register Today It's free!

Hit some snags pulling my motor

matt351

Reaction score
City, State
Terre Haute, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
I'm about 99% sure that I have everything unhooked, but something still seems like it's keeping this thing from coming out. A buddy mentioned torque converter bolts? It's been 10 years since I've pulled a motor and I'm kinda drawing a blank on this one. Are there bolts holding the converter to the flywheel on the 4.0 sohc?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes. Every automatic has them. Pull your starter out and have someone turn the engine by hand. You should see 4 nuts as you turn it over. Take those off and it will separate.

Thank you sir! Next question... I'm not in front of the truck right now, but what can be done if the motor is locked up? I'm going to guess it won't want to rotate over enough to get these 4 bolts out.

You can pull the torque converter out with the engine, you just need another foot to pull it forward. You also have to make damn sure its put back in correctly or you will destroy the pump on your transmission. Usually not worth it, but if you cant turn the engine one complete revolution to access all the bolts at all you really have no other option.

Okay so if I'm forced to pull the converter with the motor it should just slide right out? If I recall, installing the converter I've had to spin it a bit to get it to click into place 3 times. Is the reverse not the same for pulling it?

When removing the torque converter it should just pull out.

Perfect! Thanks everyone!

It'll just slide forward if the engine is locked but I'll almost bet you have to pull the trans out with it too and do this outside the truck. I don't think you'll have enough room to get it all the way off the input shaft of the trans with it still in the truck. But yes as you said you have to be sure the converter drops all the way in when putting it back together. Usually 2-3 times it will drop down before it's fully seated.

Back