hitch receiver standard? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hitch receiver standard?

randall22

Reaction score
City, State
cleveland ohio
hey all. i just learned about the new explorer and am thinking about purchasing one. i do lots of mountain biking and need a vehicle with a receiver to mount the rack. does the explorer have a one standard or do you have to buy the trailer tow package? thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i believe you need the tow package, i have a limited without the tow package and do not have a reciever hitch. i am sure there will be an after market one you can purchase and install yourself in in the near future.

If your just going to haul a bike, you should be fine with an aftermarket hitch and save alittle $$. But if your going to tow any kind of trailer, the tow package is a must in my book. For $570 bucks, you will get a Class III hitch, select shift auto tranny, engine oil cooler (must have if you ask me) and it will come prewired for a trailer. You also want to think about resale value with the tow package.

... For $570 bucks, you will get a Class III hitch, select shift auto tranny, engine oil cooler (must have if you ask me) and it will come prewired for a trailer. You also want to think about resale value with the tow package.

+1 ($484 Invoice Price) :thumbsup:

The tow package is worth it if just for the tranny and oil cooler.

Tow package is absolutely worth it!!

Tow package is absolutely worth it!!
Even if you are not planning on towing? I am still undecided on this option. Towing aside, are the advantages the transmission and the oil cooler? Any downside aside from the extra money? Thanks!

I'm going to do the same thing...add an aftermarket receiver for a bike rack.

Even if you are not planning on towing? I am still undecided on this option. Towing aside, are the advantages the transmission and the oil cooler? Any downside aside from the extra money? Thanks!

Upsides are the longer life out of the tranny and larger air intake for cooling the engine, the oil cooler, the select shift (manual mode) transmission and the mobility kit (air compressor). No real downsides except the weight goes up a hair due to the hitch.

Upsides are the longer life out of the tranny and larger air intake for cooling the engine, the oil cooler, the select shift (manual mode) transmission and the mobility kit (air compressor). No real downsides except the weight goes up a hair due to the hitch.
Sounds good! Thanks!

In my opinion it is, more beneficial than some of the other options offered. No downside I can think of.

To be honest, I towed 4 times in the 14 years I had my Ranger but dropped the $484 (invoice) for the the hitch on the Explorer. I plan to keep it just as long and will have kids in that time (boating, camping, etc). I mostly got it to have the option down the road because I figure, even if I tow only a few times, it paid for itself.

Went with the factory installed hitch. Dealer installed at the same price only give you the hitch, not the the oil cooler and tranny mods. My question is, "How do you get the little cover off the bumper to get the ball in to the hitch?" Found the two little spring loaded latches at the bottom, but don't want to force the top edge out.

Thanks!

Just a slight correction. All transmissions are cooled with this new explorer. Minor difference, but you don't lose a transmission cooler by not getting the tow package.

Either way, for the cost I would never go without.

Sorry to take so long to get back to this message.
First, release the spring loaded clips at the bottom corners, and pivot it out slightly from the bottom. Slide fingers into the gap at the sides. Then pull the top edge away from the bumper (horizontally) minimize the amount that you rotate or pivot the bottom edge. You may have to work one upper corner first then the other. There are four or five tabs along the top edge that pop in and out of slots in the bumper. It will be fairly tight the first couple of times. Had to take it into the local dealer and have them do it the first time, there was that much resistance. Top tabs engage horizontally so pivoting to much will just flex and then deform them.

Factory option has 7 pin and 4 pin light plugs also. Since it was the same cost as the dealer option, you should insist on the factory option. Towing on this will have a greater impact on the drive train than on the previous Explorer or Expeditions.

PS. Had fun watching the salesman squirm when he could not find the power steering reservoir .

Rob

Back