Hole in roof | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hole in roof

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think I would fill, prime and paint that. Something to protect against weather and rust. Should be easy, as I do not think it could really be seen. Good luck.

I was waxing my explorer when I noticed a hole in rain channel/roof rack slot above the rear left passenger door. Is this normal?
pics:
Looks like a poor sealing job.

Peter

I would just clean it off, blob some rtv in there and call it a day.

If you have a 2011 XLT and it hasn't been a problem to this point, just put some RTV on it like indicated above.

My brand new 2015 has the same exact dents, on both roof rack channels, but none of mine are actually bad enough that they are holes.

Id just get some puddy and fill it in though to prevent water from entering.

If you have a 2011 XLT and it hasn't been a problem to this point, just put some RTV on it like indicated above.
My vehicle has seen very little rain over the past several years (CA Drought) and has always been parked in a garage. I originally made this post to determine if the hole was an intentional drain hole but it looks like it is indeed a manufacturing defect.

My vehicle has seen very little rain over the past several years (CA Drought) and has always been parked in a garage. I originally made this post to determine if the hole was an intentional drain hole but it looks like it is indeed a manufacturing defect.

A common defect at that. Ford will only do anything if it's less than 36 months/36k miles. Most of us didn't find the leak until it's out of warranty because the interior trip/lining hides the water from all but the worst of the leaks.

Here's hoping you have no mold inside your vehicle.

Back