Hole in the bottom of my catalytic converter? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hole in the bottom of my catalytic converter?

Ford Explorer9

Reaction score
I recently had both sides of my exhaust manifolds repaired on my 2006 Ford Explorer V8 and even after the repair the exhaust didn't quite sound right. So after having my neighbor check both manifolds he found nothing wrong with them but definitely heard something.

We ended up finding a tiny hole on the bottom of one of the cats. However it looked really... perfect. Like it was drilled in or something, and a lot of moisture comes out of it on startup. My question is does anyone else have one of these? I think it is where the weird noises are coming from when I accelerate and I wanted to plug it up with gasket glue. Yet I don't want to plug it up if it is supposed to be there. Any help is much appreciated.

its a drain its in the resonator, so when condensation happens, it has a way out.

plug or sealing the hole, will just allow water to collect inside and rust it out faster then normal.

its a drain its in the resonator, so when condensation happens, it has a way out.

plug or sealing the hole, will just allow water to collect inside and rust it out faster then normal.

Is it typical for the resonator to be noisy during acceleration?

The truck makes one of two noises when I accelerate, it either sounds like an exhaust leak underneath the truck, or it makes a squealing/sputtering noise underneath the truck. Hope the transmission is okay...

Back