Holey Side Fix | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Holey Side Fix

My explorer used to have the factory "side-skirts," and I took them off to give it the illusion of being a little taller. Now some of the holes are starting to rust. I'm sure others have removed these...what have you done about the holes? Also, I have the side steps (actual bars) from a newer explorer...any suggestions on getting them attached securely? Thanks for the help everybody.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Come on now, somebody's gotta know the answer to this question...I'm sure someone else has been here before...just throw some ideas at me at least........thanks

most people that have done that put tape on the back side and put a layer of herculiner over it, and it's strong enough to cover them.

As for the bars, is it the stock nerf bar things? look under the truck and see if there are holes drill in the body on the inside, that is where the brackets mount to.

No, there are no existing holes on the inside...first of all those don't seem too secure, second I think it should stick out further from the body than that method of mounting allows. Also, I've since picked up an angle drill attachment, so I can actually drill those holes when I find time to work on it. Any ideas about bumping it out, or do these types of steps actually work out fine? Like I said it's the stock nerf-like bar from slightly newer explorers than mine, not the side-skirt/step. Thanks for the reply, Kurt.

Moved this to the body work & detail forum.

Back