Holy cow....New Alternator is a MUST | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Holy cow....New Alternator is a MUST

Bmxboy

Reaction score
City, State
Chicagoland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Corvette Z06
Good god....so today after school, its the warmest day since i installed my subs (bout 75 out)

Well...its a beautiful day, so i go crusin...about 30 minutes into the crusie, the bass hits, and my midrange goes out, and my subs die, and then my car computer just shuts down and re-starts......well, i have no clue whats wrong at this point, and think my CD just like skipped....

Well, it happened a few other times....so i go to my friends house, and turn the car off. I open the hood, and i look at the alternaor...you can see a itsy bit of smoke coming up from it...i lick my finger...and put it on the alterantor....BAM instant steam :) Holy COW i need a new alternator...also, the wires that go from my alt. to my battery were startin to melt :eek:

Just thought that i would let ya'll know, that if you have 2000 watts...DEF get a new alternator...(and i need caps)....

Carleton

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

caps will help, but a new high output alternator will maek a huge difference. if you do both you will be stunned by how much better your system will sound. my neighbor had a couple thousand watts in a tahoe with 2 one farad caps and it sounded great, but when he added the alternator it was a whole new world.

High output would be ideal. Im running about 1000W of lighting and fried one alternator. had the warrenty with that and fried the next one too. most auto stores dont carry em unless you happen to have a reace shop around. I got mine from www.afterthoughtsauto.com theyre not as cheap as oem alts. but well worth it.

My alternator is on it's way out too. When the bass hits hard, my voltage needle moves with it. I have a 1 farad cap too. I've been looking around and Mr Alternator has some nice high output ones. They'll even powdercoat them for a little extra.

Mike

I was having the same problem as Mike, when the subs hit, the needle moved. No caps, stock battery, and stock alternator. Should I change all of 'em, or just the alternator?

Well, as of like last friday? I think thats when i ordered mine...

Anyway, i ordered a 200 amp high output alt. from mr. alternator.com...and got it powder coated in purple!!! :) It will look good under the hood.

As of a list for things on what to do...i would def. get the alterantor first.

Look at it this way...i mean, when you are driving around, or just ya know, shoin your system off, you normally have your car on. Thus, your battery isin't really getting the strain, its your alternator. Next i would get a few caps, and if worse comes to worse, and extra battery. Im hoping the alt will get rid of my problems..if not i'll save up for a 5 farad cap

Carleton

I'd be interested in knowing if that alt works right off the bat when you get it... Mine came and with the smaller pulley, the belt squealed like hell and didn't turn the pulley right, so the alt was only putting out like 10.5 volts and who knows how many amps. I had to go buy 3/4" spacers and longer bolts and mount them between the alt and the mounting bracket to get rid of the slack. I couldn't change belts because the next smallest belt was too small to even get on.

needing new alt?

i have close to 3000 watt rms into my system, i have 2 batteries and 2 1 farad caps. my system pounds hard and i have never had any trouble with the alternator. It puts out 12.6 volts when measured at the amp and it hits really hard. if u are competing u cannot change stock alternators (mostly why mine is still stock) but i haven't had problems with it yet.

Re: needing new alt?

Originally posted by sorensen_dhr
if u are competing u cannot change stock alternators

that's not true.

that is only inthe lowest class. the Street Division.
Super Street or Extreme both allow upgraded alternators, and you can even install multiple aternators.

Super Street Division Installation Restrictions
6-8e The OEM alternator may be replaced or “beefed up”. A maximum of 2 alternators may be installed in the vehicle.

Extreme Division Installation Restrictions
6-9 There are no specific installation restrictions pertaining to the Extreme Division unless noted elsewhere in this rule book
Fully encapsulated or “caged” alternators located above the hood, in front of the grille, or underneath the vehicle are acceptable.

here's the page:
Dead Link Removed

Does the Ex use the same Alternator as the Ranger?

Ive got a like new Mr. Alternator 200amp powder coated ford blue up for sale. I couldnt get it to work and bought another alternator, but someone on the board here had the same problem, and it turned out to be that you need a smaller belt. The Mr. Alternator pullys are smaller I guess.

nick

Originally posted by Mbrooks420
Does the Ex use the same Alternator as the Ranger?

i think they are slightly different...

Originally posted by flyguy
Ive got a like new Mr. Alternator 200amp powder coated ford blue up for sale. I couldnt get it to work and bought another alternator, but someone on the board here had the same problem, and it turned out to be that you need a smaller belt. The Mr. Alternator pullys are smaller I guess.

nick

did you call them and order an Explorer alternator? if you order from the site, you will get a ranger alternator. that could be the problem.

I ordered a Ranger alt from them, and the only problem I had was that the pulley was too small... But the ranger and the explorer (at least from the year that I ordered) both used the same 4.0 engine, so I don't see why they would be different. Once I had gotten the pulley problem fixed, it worked great!!111

I called it in.. he knows I have an explorer... I had sent it back like 3 times cuz I thought it was busted. Then after that I just bought a ford alternator. Turns out that I just needed a smaller belt. Whoops. Oh well. The ford one is doing me good, and I dont have a big system or a wench... so no need.

nick

Back