• Register Today It's free!

Home made headers

jakegator

Reaction score
City, State
PA, USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer 4dr ohv
Hows everyone doing? So I've been looking into either making or buying headers. It looks like a cheap set of headers is about 250, I can make a set for approx 120-150... so its cheaper to make. Assuming I dont mess anytihng up :p. The other thing is I like to build stuff and well this falls under that category. Now for the question, im thinking of making the headers out of 1.75 or 2 inch pipe (not stainless) and using the flanges in the link below. Does anyone know if this diameter is good? I tried using calculation from the sites in the links below? If anyone has headers and could shoot me the measurements that would be fantastic as well as any advice you may have! Thank you all!

this site is how I got the diameter size
http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/header-tech-c.htm

These are the flanges I hope to use, there are cheaper ones that are thinner but i guess i shouldnt skimp to much here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140824509855?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

So to sum it up im looking for header diameter and any advice you might be able to give!!
Thanks everyone!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just buy the aftermarket ones. If you have never made headers before, by the time you are done, you will have spent much more, and they will look like ass. If you can't afford $250 for headers, save your money.

Besides, if you did make headers, 1.75 inch is WAY too big for a 4.0. It is a very large displacement V6, but the engine does not actually flow that much. MAYBE if you were supercharged and did some pretty aggressive work on the heads. Either way. If you have no experience with this kind of thing, and aren't working with someone with experience, don't bother doing it. Making headers is not fun. In fact, there are very few things I would say are bigger pains in the butt. It is time consuming, labor intensive, and tedious.

And unless you have major engine mods, (heads, cam, .30 over bore) headers are not a good mod for this application.

dont waste your time or money on headers:thumbdwn:you will lose power on a stock or mildly built motor.

jd knows his stuff and 1.75 will be too large for a 4.0. That being said, it sure sounds like a cool project. It would probably be easiest if you buy the collectors. If you do it, make sure you post pics. It would be a hell of a lot of work, but cool if you pull it off. If you don't, at least you tried!

Your numbers on pricing are way too low. I have budgeted $1300 to build my own headers, between materials, flanges, collectors, and coating it gets REALLY expensive. The only reason im building my own is because nobody makes headers for a 351W in an explorer. Point being you can buy off the shelf proven solutions far cheaper than you can build your own

rickybobby, you have a build thread? 351W!?! Where is that thread? I totally missed that one.

Your numbers on pricing are way too low. I have budgeted $1300 to build my own headers, between materials, flanges, collectors, and coating it gets REALLY expensive. The only reason im building my own is because nobody makes headers for a 351W in an explorer. Point being you can buy off the shelf proven solutions far cheaper than you can build your own

Think advance adapters makes a set.summit i ""think"" has them

Wow.. A 351W in a explore? Never seen that. That must have been a headache and a lot of damn beer. /: but.. Nice results I'm assuming. :D

Just buy some torque monster headers! Unless you want the project.. Then go for it. I guess like everybody is saying these days.. "YOLO". (You only live once.)

Its not in yet, and JD, the advance adapters are a log style that wont flow any better than the stock truck manifolds. I have a set of shorty truck headers for it, but they are only 1.5" primaries, so they wont really flow well on a built engine.

Its not in yet, and JD, the advance adapters are a log style that wont flow any better than the stock truck manifolds. I have a set of shorty truck headers for it, but they are only 1.5" primaries, so they wont really flow well on a built engine.

Was going to say that;)didnt know if you just needed something to work.i wouldn't use them but people do ""make""them;)

I do appreciate the advice, its just frustrating, Duff makes EB headers that look like they will work, but they are still only 1.5", even the 4.0 headers are 1.625 IIRC

Thanks guys for the input, some other things came up that need/prefer to be done before headers! I knew it would be challenge, but i like a challenge... mostly why I thought about making my own. Anyways thanks!

Back