home-made throttle body spacer | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

home-made throttle body spacer

tootall_54

Reaction score
City, State
Worthington,IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
92' XLT
ok here's the deal i ahvesearched this seite over and over to find a way to make a throttle body spacer for the 4.0 v6 and have found nothing other than buying one (keep in mind all for gas mpg) and decided to lenghten my search and found a site where a guy makes on for a metro and gained like 2mpg, anyway it seemed easy so here it is.......first get a plastic cutting board and throttle body spacer gaskets, second lay the gaskets on the cutting board ad trace the hole and wat not and then cut and pretty much your done except having to possibly buy longer bolts for the throttle body itself....I plan on attempting this mod in a week or so and I'll let ya guys kno for sure how it works out

here is the link
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/diy-throttle-body-spacer-5992.html

Join the Elite Explorers $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Blacksheep Josh

Slinky+Escalator=Fun
Reaction score
City, State
Statesboro, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Ford Ranger, RIP 93 X
I hate to burst your bubble... but with a TB spacer you'll see no improvement. At all.

Search around the site, you'll see many people saying the same.

Elessar65

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, Ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
Pointless on a fuel injected vehicle, other than creating a whistling noise. Feel free to try it though, not like you are spending any money. If you could create more power and improve mileage just by adding a spacer don't you think that auto manufactures would design them into the vehicle?

Elessar65

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, Ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
I would agree with that, the point of a throttle body spacer, as I see it, is from back when carbureted engines were the norm. If you get the air flowing faster or swirling or whatever AFTER the fuel has been mixed, like in a carb, it will make a difference. But since in FI engines the fuel is introduced after the throttle body, all you are doing is making a whistling noise. If you make a spacer for the intake manifold it will make a difference. I think, lol. Its late and my mind isn't working like it should.

2000StreetRod

Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
throttle body adapter

As I've posted several times before, in my opinion there are only two reasons to use a throttle body spacer on an Explorer. One is to insert a spacer that takes up the slack in the throttle cable since Ford omitted a throttle cable adjustment. The other is to provide a low disturbance transition from a large throttle body outlet to a smaller intake manifold inlet. I made one from my wife's kitchen cutting board to adapt my 75mm racing throttle body outlet to the stock 65mm intake manifold inlet. See post #20 in the following thread: 75mm throttle body for 4.0L SOHC?