HomeLink Wiring | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

HomeLink Wiring

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
I just bought a used HomeLink equipped sun visor off eBay. I know it operates off just 2 wires (12V power and a ground). My question is, does the existing vanity mirror light electrical connection automatically supply power/ground to the HomeLink, or do I need to provide power and ground?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

MAS Tequila

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Boca Raton FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU
Yes it does.

I just put one in mine a couple months ago.

MT

Tbruz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Exporer Sport
What vehicle and years are those off of?
Looking for one myself.
Thanks
Tbruz

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
Yes it does.

I just put one in mine a couple months ago.

MT

Cool! Super easy install then, and cheaper than buying a new garage door remote from the Home Depot, plus you can record messages on it.

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
I couldn't get mine to operate my craftsman door opener. Maybe I am missing something.

Yeah, I think you missed something. I have a Craftsman opener and the HomeLink in my '01 works with it fine. Programming it is a little tricky. Here's a link to a video, but the info is also in the Owner's Manual. I'm more of a visual person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUlgScKvZmI

I'm pretty sure when I did mine I had to hit the LEARN button on the opener in order to get it to work.

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
Yeah, I think you missed something. I have a Craftsman opener and the HomeLink in my '01 works with it fine. Programming it is a little tricky. Here's a link to a video, but the info is also in the Owner's Manual. I'm more of a visual person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUlgScKvZmI

I'm pretty sure when I did mine I had to hit the LEARN button on the opener in order to get it to work.

I installed my "previously owned" HomeLink visor this morning. The hardest part was deleting the 30 old messages from the PO. As far as programming, I followed the directions in the owner's manual (page 88-89 for a 2000 Mountaineer) it was easy. Total time to install and program, 8-10 minutes.

1. Press & hold the 2 outside buttons for around 20 secs to clear previous stored codes.
2. Hold you hand-held transmitter 4-5 inches from the HomeLink visor.
3. Press and hold the hand-held transmitter and Homelink button of your choice simultaneously and hold both until the Homelink light starts to flash rapidly (flashes slowly at first). I found I had to do this step twice, but then the light flashed rapidly and the assigned button worked. - Done

Turdle

The Lowrider is a little higher
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
I installed my "previously owned" HomeLink visor this morning. The hardest part was deleting the 30 old messages from the PO. As far as programming, I followed the directions in the owner's manual (page 88-89 for a 2000 Mountaineer) it was easy. Total time to install and program, 8-10 minutes.

1. Press & hold the 2 outside buttons for around 20 secs to clear previous stored codes.
2. Hold you hand-held transmitter 4-5 inches from the HomeLink visor.
3. Press and hold the hand-held transmitter and Homelink button of your choice simultaneously and hold both until the Homelink light starts to flash rapidly (flashes slowly at first). I found I had to do this step twice, but then the light flashed rapidly and the assigned button worked. - Done

Ah. This will help. Thanks!