• Register Today It's free!

Homemade Roof Rack

93liftedXLT

Reaction score
City, State
left coast
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
Ok, i am sitting here lookat that these pics of rack, as i will be leaving for the camping trip this weekend, i was wondering how i could make may own roof rack, i have a welder, i have mild steel, almun,and some pcv pipe..lol

but i get stumped when i think about how am i going to mount it to the sliders on the top of my truck, take the 2 stock ones off?

cut them?
make my own to slide in there?

i am gonna go in my shop and see what i can pull outta my ass..lol

:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can always bolt them to your rack now. Just drill the roof rack into the bars that go across. Just use heavy duty bolts. -TJ

one word U BOLTS thatll work for now at least

strip steel, 2 pieces of it.....one on top, welded to the rack, then one below, two bolts, go thru each, tighten down, and your golden.

lol, i just pulled off the sliders and drilled the holes in my rack to line up with the holes already in the roof and used the orignal bolts and screw it down.

monkeypothrower said:
you can always bolt them to your rack now. Just drill the roof rack into the bars that go across. Just use heavy duty bolts. -TJ

its finished i got some mild steel, 1/8'' and cut and welded it together with a sheet of cross steel on the bottom and spot welded that, and drilled with big U bolt's

thanks

:ttiwwp:

I know. I am looking at the Surco one. haha, just wondering.

well damnit, I'm gonna bump my pic request thread. I'm on the fence about what to use

lol

Back