Honda Debuts a 1/2 Ton pickup | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Honda Debuts a 1/2 Ton pickup

Explorer doomed?

Stephen said:
This is going to take many sales away from the Explorer:

http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/freestyle/

I think you're right, Stephen. With the Escape and the Freestyle, the Explorer is bound to lose market share. Lack of demand has already killed the manual transmission and some of the offroad capability in the Ex. The motoring public wants fully automatic 4WD or AWD and doesn't care to mess with part-time 4WD or a transfer case. I see a lot of Escapes on the road here in NJ. The Escape looks like an Explorer junior, not all that much different in size from the Explorer Sport. The Freestyle looks like a squashed and lowered Explorer. How the CVT drivetrain holds up remains to be seen, but it has more cargo capacity than the Explorer.

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Man I hope they don't kill the X, but I'm sure it will eventually go the way of the Dodo. The escape is a sharp looking truck, but the X just seems so much more substantial...I'm sure I'm biassed being an X owner.
As for the Honda, that's just wrong. I find it hard to believe that the odyssey costs as much as the Sienna given the difference in quality, especially with the limited Sienna. That is one fugly, worthless truck.

Being a Honda guy, I don't really like the truck either but you know what? Since it's a Honda, people will buy it just because of its name and its reliability standings. It has the same engine used in the base Odyssey LX and EX, Pilot, Acura MDX, and now, the Ridgeline, except that the Odyssey EX-L and Touring models get VCM--Variable Cylinder Management. What it basically does is shutting off 3 of its cylinders during cruising. In addition, Honda has installed Active Body Mounts and has ANC, Active Noise Control, to cancel out unwanted engine noises produced by the engine. I think it's pretty awesome that they have put such technology in a minivan.

Also, the Odyssey Touring costs a little over $38k which includes Navigation and DVD. That's not very bad compared to the Sienna topping out at $41k. I know because I was the one who was trying to negotiate for vans. We ended up buying an '05 Odyssey EX-L for $30k including taxes and fees. It's a lot cheaper than the Touring but it is loaded!! It has 3.5L V6 with VCM, dual power sliding doors, leather seats, cd changer, tri-zone automatic climate control, and you can open all the windows with a touch of your keyless remote. It's a lot of van for $30k. The only reason why we didn't get the Touring model is because Honda puts PAX tires as standard equipment on that model.

Alright...back to Ridgeline talks... If you really think about it, a 255hp V6 isn't too bad for a compact 4-door pickup designed to compete with other compact trucks, especially when the sticker tops out at $32k. Since not many people actually take it off road, I think it's perfect for many people who do light hauling.

I guess I better put my flame suit on.

FLAME FLAME FLAME!!! :fire:
Sorry, I had to. :p :D
No flaming, I respect the fact that you like Honda. I'm not a fan of Honda, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to get all insulted. I have always had bad experiences with Hondas but, then again, I also don't know how it was maintained. The minivan, I'm not overly impressed having seen the new one my uncle just bought (EX-L also) having seen the price tag they paid. It just seems so typical Honda: ho-hum interior (cloth) and nothing really snazzy.
The pickup I honestly believe will flop big time. Alot of construction workers like major hauling capabilities and people (yuppies included :rolleyes: ...I guess ;) ) like to have a "tough" look in their trucks. This truck just looks too passive to pass on that credential. I'd rather have a torquey V8 then a high HP V6. When it really comes down to trucks, HP isn't as important as torque, and a V8 is pretty tough to beat.
Now if they offered it in a V8, then they might have more sales...

Haha!! I'm burning!!! :p

If your uncle's Ody has cloth, then it's the EX, not EX-L. The EX-L has more features such as power sunroof, leather, and the VCM. I'm sorry that you didn't have any good experiences with Hondas. Our '90 Accord has 225k miles right now and almost all parts are still original, well, other than the tranny computer. It's acting up now and requires replacement, but it's pretty awesome that we got up to 225k miles without doing a lot of replacements.

Actually, that's what you get for a Honda. Interior design is no-nonsense, simple and intuitive, everything works like they're supposed to be. That's not bad at all.

The days of the truck are numbered. for years the truck was a devolved beefier car (like the old model As). Latter it progressed into somthing of a contractor support vehicle; very capable for utility but limmited in comfort or power. Power was adressed in the 70's with massive v8s and a stronger suspecsion system... This is why you don't see many offroad or lifted trucks made prior to the late 60's.

Well that stuck for about two decades... untill the mommies got involved. First it was our beloved SUVs. They poisoned the explorer and all its clones into a minivan with hunged doors, dvd players and baby bottles. The target audience went from the manual worker/contractor to a FEMALE oriented package (women account for apoximatly 60% of private vehicle purchases.... my guess would be that men bought the 30% of trucks on the road). This changed the group dynamic in much the same way malls have devolved.

Malls in america realized that women make the majority of mall purchases (somthing like 75-85%). They then initiated a store roll out policy to encorage the segment that spends the most money (women). The result of this was stores like Disney, WB, Chessapeake Knife, Great Train Store, various video game stores, and Radio Shack were pushed out after their lease expired, while newer female oriented clothing store have popped up all over the place due to favorable leases.

So now we have a "full sized pickup" that parks like a car (at a mall), drives like a car (no beefy drivetrains here), and is about as capable as a car. Why not drive a car then? The answer is presence. People want to appear to be more capable then they are. They get a 7 passenger minivan because they have one child. They buy a 6 bedrrom hous when only three people live there. They purchase a larger frige then the previous owner evenb though they do not cook.... you get my point.

So it all comes back to those big full sized trucks of the 70's. Various companies are trying to capture that immage of capability in a package that is best fit for the largest target audience. Its just the law of ecconomics.

Yes the explorer is on its way out. Not that many of us care anyway. I suspect the mustang's days are numbered as well. That brand may survive.... but how long with a solid axle? how long with a chasis thats mod-able? when will a ford crate engine be a thing of the past?

There arn't many places to offroad here. When i do, it usially ends with the police asking for my licence (heh heh). Roads go everywhere we want to (say... to the mall?), so companies are ONLY looking to provide a vehicle that does that best. Offroading adventure? thats so 1990's.

Yep this Honda will sell about as well as the pilot, if for nothing more then a few pulitzer winning authors are on the take. If for nothing more then it faintly resembles that class of vehicle we called a truck. If for nothing more then it has an H on the hood.

It's too bad Honda didnt make a real truck the FIRST time, like the Nissan Titan. What a piece.

excuse me while go gag myself :fart:

I saw one the other day. Walking up from the front I was actually second guessing my thoughts on it. . . and then I walked around to the side. :fart:

I have seen one driving here in Dallas. Looks okay from the front and then you see its profile. Just not for me.

i've seen a bunch driving around bostonj, i dont think they look too bad, but knowing whats underneath there just makes me cry

Ugly! Haven't seen one, don't care to. It's a Japanese Avalanche. What's with all these used-to-be low-priced vehicles becoming so expensive?! $37k for a friggen Honda minivan?

i don't even offroad and i think the "explorer" is already dead. the new one is a minivan

expo5.0 said:
i don't even offroad and i think the "explorer" is already dead. the new one is a minivan
I agree with the explorer now being a minivan. Most SUV' s at this point are. I dont have a problem with the honda pick up personaly. No the styling isnt for me but who the hell cares. It will sell and it will because of target audience. THey arent making that thing for those of us that want to go wheeling. They arent making it for contractors. Its for the general public that want a comfortable small pick up for its looks and ability to throw a couple things in the back once in a while. I am sure it handles decently on the road and probably will last for a long time. Though I am also no honda fan I do respect their reliability. Its tough to debate how long their stuff can last. Dont go flaming the indipendant suspension when our beloved X now does the same. My xgf will probably end up purchasing one of these and I am going to go check it out with her. WIll let you guys know how it does.

huskyfan23 said:
Ugly! Haven't seen one, don't care to. It's a Japanese Avalanche. What's with all these used-to-be low-priced vehicles becoming so expensive?! $37k for a friggen Honda minivan?

If you look at the value of money over the years they're not really getting that expensive. If anything cars in general have gotten a little cheaper.

I have only seen the commercial on T.V. It might be an ok car/truck or thing, but I really have to admit I am USA badge owner all the way..I have had a foreign cars for a short period unil I sell them...I do not think the titles were even in my name..they were just ...cheap cars for sale that I could turn around and make a profit on!! I mgiht have had a Fiat registered..to long ago!! I have owned a hundred plus vehicles allready!!!!

Like a lot say..Hondas and Toyotas are long lasting,economical rides!!

Stephen said:
If you look at the value of money over the years they're not really getting that expensive. If anything cars in general have gotten a little cheaper.
True, but Honda used to be cheaper than American manufacturers. Now it's about the same (or more in some cases).

Putting on my bunker gear.

I went today to look at one with my X. Let me first say its no truck. It is infact verry mini van like. Handled the road well. Smooth driving and minor body roll. Far less than you would expect. Acceleration was smooth and impressive once you get past about 2800 rpm. As with most hondas torque isnt overly astounding. That being said it will definately out run an ohv or sohc explorer 0-60 and above. I didnt get to throw anything in the back or tow anything but after bouncing in the bed it does seem that it could carry 500 pounds daily and maybe even carry the 1100 rated capacity from time to time. I cant get myself past the uglieness but that is preference. My x will likely end up buying one as she liked it and it does seem to be built rather well. This CAR is not for contractors or wheelers like i said earlier. Think of it as a car that can haul a little bit of stuff. But if thats what you are in the market for give it a serious look. I now believe it will sell and can understand why honda built it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Like I said before, Honda didn't do too bad with this truck. I can bet you that Honda loyalists will buy one just because it's a Honda and it's a "truck".

IMO, a $37k Honda Odyssey Touring or a Toyota Sienna XLE Limited is a whole lot better than a $39k Chrysler Town & Country Limited if you consider the depreciation rate. Our '05 Odyssey can still sell for $29k (sticker was $31k and bought at $30k) while the Town & Country at $26k even if you paid $33k for it.

Back