• Register Today It's free!

Hood Alignment

StevenC56

Reaction score
City, State
Fresno, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Platinum
The hood on our new Explorer is very slightly off to the right side at the rear (windshield area) from the factory. It's not much, but enough to bug me. Usually this only requires loosening the hood hinge bolts to the hood on both sides and shifting the hood ever so slightly, and then retorquing the fasteners. Just wondering if anyone else has ran into this and made an adjustment? I did a forum search, but didn't come up with anything.

We have posts on liftgate, fender, door and dash alignments but I believe you are the first with a hood alignment post Steven. I'm guessing that there are probably many out there that are just like yours though. I don't know how much 'play' there is for an adjustment but it sounds like we may find out soon.:)

Peter

Hood alignment too tight on drivers side

Hi All,
I'm back with a new Explorer Sport we just bought a few weeks ago. Finally got what I wanted... 2017 Sport in White Platinum. :) Has exactly the power that these things should have had. It will blow the doors off my 2012 Limited I traded in... :burnout:
Had to rewash it last night (it was CLEAN from the dealer!)
IMG_20190722_201348.jpg

I've already put black Ford badges front and back and black Sport badge on the hatch. I'll probably take the EcoBoost emblem off as well. Getting black Iowa license plates too. :cool:
IMG_20190722_201305.jpg

IMG_20190722_201317.jpg

It's got the 2 seat middle row which my older daughter likes because she can jump in the back row easily, but I think I'll get the console for it. It seems incomplete without armrests built-in.

I do have a question about my hood alignment though... It's SUPER tight on the drivers side (rubbing).
IMG_20190722_201216.jpg

IMG_20190722_201243.jpg

Here's the passenger side from about the same height. Noticeable gap.
IMG_20190722_201251.jpg

Has anyone seen this on their X as well?
Cheers crew!
Erick --

Hi Erick. Your thread was merged with this existing one. I don't know how much adjustment can be made but I'm guessing there is some. If it is adjusted, the latch may also have to be done. Misalignments are nothing new with the Explorer and many other brand vehicles as well.
Gaps/Alignment, Paint, Pinholes... Do you have these issues??
Please post any followup regarding this issue. Thanks.
Nice looking ride.:thumbsup:

Peter

Back