• Register Today It's free!

Hood closure

craig1971

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer XLT
I noticed how thin the aluminum hoods are. I did not want to add pressure to close it once it was latched. It felt like it would bend. Is it best to lower it about half way and just let it slam? I also greased the larch which seems to make it close easier.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes drop, do not push on it, it will bend.

I am considering some kind of adhesive label on a safe spot
that says Drop Hood To Close - Do Not Push With Hands.

Mine already has a dent in it from some jackass, probably at the oil change shop, pushing on it.

I noticed how thin the aluminum hoods are. I did not want to add pressure to close it once it was latched. It felt like it would bend. Is it best to lower it about half way and just let it slam? I also greased the larch which seems to make it close easier.

Should Ford not apply a better design to the hood? I think that for most people the way to close a hood is with a gentle push. It should not be causing damage.

My BMW 5 series has an aluminium hood too, and there is just no way that you push a dent into it, its properly strengthened.

As stated, drop from about half way open. I had to advise an O'Reillys to drop the hood during my annual inspection.. they looked at me like I was nuts and then thanked me when I explained what could/would happen and ran out to tell the tech.

I think that's why we have a 1920's prop rod for the hood. If it had the struts it would take too much pressure to close and you would be denting/buckling the hood. Another very poor design.

I think that's why we have a 1920's prop rod for the hood. If it had the struts it would take too much pressure to close and you would be denting/buckling the hood. Another very poor design.
My MKT has the aluminum hood AND hood struts. No prop.

Peter

My MKT has the aluminum hood AND hood struts. No prop.

Peter

And it's probably much sturdier than the hood on the Explorer.

My XKR sticker price was $92k+ and my wife's S5 sticker price was 69k+. Both have hood struts and both hoods are "drop to close". You risk denting them if you try to close them by pressing on them. Common practice now. So, for me, it never entered my mind to close the hood of my Explo Sport any other way. The explo is in good company.

Back