Hood Jammed Shut..

Lazzman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport 4wd- V6 Sohc
I need help my hood is jammed shut and I cannot open it.

I was putting in new rubber hood bumpers that mount to the radiator support, I guess I had them adjusted to high and slammed the hood shut.

Now the hood will not open, I have pulled on the hood release, banged on the hood and tried to compress it down so that it would open with no luck.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to get the hood open?

A thousand thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

blue tip wrench :)

if the latch is pulled, maybe try reaching up through the engine compartment behind the radiator with a broom handle or something to try to pop it back up?

get someone to repeatedly pull the release while you press down and pull up on the hood.the release is jammed,it will take two people and some patience.

Thanks gents Im on it...

No Dice that sucker is really jammed tight.

pushed and pulled with all my strength no move, latch will not release.

thin prybar and a rag at the curved point of the fender and the hood where it is the strongest?

will give it one last shot.

Thanks for sticking with me.

This really sucks :mad:

Tried a nice pry bar no luck.

I am not sure what is happening? I know the lock is not rusted shut, it is under tension because I did not adjust the hood bumpers correctly, they were to high. The hood came down and will not open up.

When I pull the latch in front of the drivers seat to pop the hood nothing happens. I do not hear the latch release and it does not pop up.

Also, I can find no emergency release on my hood latch?

If someone can explain the problem I can try and figure out something- like have someone constantly pulling on the latch release, as I try and pry it up.

I am running out of options.

I saw this when doing a Google search ....

#2 of 3 Re: Cant open hood on 99 Explorer [daleos] by rmncoknme Feb 08, 2007 (5:43 pm)
Replying to: daleos (Feb 01, 2007 7:58 pm)

I also have a 99 Explorer, and this happened to me. On mine, the hinge on the primary hood release was rusted. If you have a flashlight, shine it into the hood release mechanism just below the hood. You will see the hook. Take a long screwdriver, about 1/2" wide, and put it into the hook. Turn it to disengage (pushing the hook upward). Probably best to hit it with some lubricant if you can before trying; in the best of luck this might just pop it loose and you can skip the screwdriver. When I finally got mine open, I took the hook assembly out and gave it a thorough lubrication with a lube that leaves a dry wax behind (bicycle chain lube of all things), and opened/closed several times to verify all was smooth.

Prying the hood up isn't the issue. You need to take some of the tension off the latch first, then try and release it.

Sit on the hood, right over the latch, then have someone pull the hood release and HOLD it. With them holding the release, now you can get off the hood and it should pop up. You may also need to gently pry on it to get it to spring open.

If that fails, I know of no good way to make it release. I've had the issue with mine since I replaced my bumpers (one had broken). Every so often, the primary release clicks, but the hood won't move. I have to get out, push it back down and hear it click, then try it again. (So far) the second time is the charm.

-Joe

Back