• Register Today It's free!

Hood missing part at latch point?

glaapr3

Reaction score
City, State
Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer Eddie
For the first time yesterday, my hood won't latch. I have worked on vehicles in the past and started the process of elimination. The latch seems to be working properly. The catch release isn't broken. After testing all these, closed the hood as much as I could while still being able to see under it at the point where the latch hits the underside of the hood. It appears there may be a missing hook or something on the underside of the hood for the latch to catch and hold, however I am not a ford expert and do not know exactly what the original parts on the underside of the hood should look like. I cannot find a site or diagram anywhere to aid me. Please help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A little however I am unsure if I am supposed to have a hook on top that would extend down for the latch to catch or does the latch insert into the square hole in the hood and catch on the right side of the opening?

I had a similar issue with a Mercury Sable....that latch look fine except it just wouldn't latch.
I went to a bone yard and found a new latch and it worked perfectly...turns out there is a small spring which actually holds the latch closed and it had broken off. I didn't know it was supposed to be there until I compared it the new latch.

Here is a pic of the underside of our 99 Sport.

100_0885_zpsmqflx7nf.jpg

Back