List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

I'm taking my 2013 sport in for an appointment to have pictures taken for this same issue. 29,354 miles it is CPO. Purchased from Tasca Buick GMC late last summer and having service done at Marcotte Ford in MA. I really hope that this gets taken care of. He said approval is up to Ford after they see the pictures. I also do not understand why they are taking pictures of the entire vehicle?

Let me know how things go at the dealership, 93 SVT. I'll be here if you need my help.

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Paint on the front edge of hood beginning to bubble

Hi, I just joined tonight after discovering this forum searching for information on 2012 Explorer paint issues. I have a 2012 Explorer with just over 37,000 on it. I just noticed several paint bubbles on the front edge of my hood!! They are about 1/2 to and inch long. I had a 97 F-150 with 170k on it before this Explorer. Even with 170k it was spotless. Seeing these paint bubble on my Explorer with only 37k caused my heart to go in my throat. Now to see this is something that Ford has been aware of for years and has decide not to address it is a slap in the face of a Ford loyalist like myself!!! Ihad a Ranger before the F-150 and '86 Merc Cougar before that. I just noticed the bubbles two days ago and I haven't even started to make calls. I didn't buy it new or from a ford dealership so this should be interesting. :mad: Not sure if I should contact a Ford dealership or Ford directly. I love everything about this vehicle but I have a knot in my stomach now since seeing these bubbles!!!

Welcome to the Forum jswright.:wavey:
I suggest you contact Crystal the Ford Service rep here. See post 206.
Be advised the Reps are not here on weekends. Just in case you were not aware, the hoods on the 5th generation Explorers are aluminum. Good luck.

Peter

Thank you Peter!! I did see Crystal's post I will try to reach out to her!!

Of the folks who are having this paint problem, who garages their Ex most of the time? What is the weather typically like in your area? I wonder if climate or climate changes, or whether or not folks garage their Ex, plays a role in having paint issues... or if it influences the severity of the issue.

Of the folks who are having this paint problem, who garages their Ex most of the time? What is the weather typically like in your area? I wonder if climate or climate changes, or whether or not folks garage their Ex, plays a role in having paint issues... or if it influences the severity of the issue.

I'll just throw it out there, 2011 with 76,000 miles, always garaged, hood looks brand new with exception to one paint chip the size of a tooth pick end.

Being up in NH, we get the true 4 seasons up here.

Garaged in PA (plenty of snow, salt, cinders, etc in the winter) and had the problem on my '11 with about 30k on the clock. Mine was fixed with no questions under warranty.

Just a reminder, I had a 2011limited, hood bubbled at 25K 2 years old ford repainted it and in 18 months it started to bubble again. Garage kept,always washed and waxed! I believe it is the aluminum with impurities causing corrosion then bubbles. And yes I think Ford should cover 100% of the cost even when out of warreny.

always garaged, waxed couple times a year, four michigan winters, 58,000 miles and looks like crap:
7mbwtd0.png

Based on responses so far, it appears that garaging your truck has no bearing on the paint as far as the bubbling goes. Although, most folks experiencing this seem to be from places that have some harsh winters--though I'm doubting that weather has any influence either. I guess the issue is hit or miss. Being Nevada, I deal mostly with the heat... but again, I suppose I'll be counting down the days until my hood starts to bubble as well.

Let me know how things go at the dealership, 93 SVT. I'll be here if you need my help.

Crystal

Stopped in at 11 today and they took pics to submit and I got a call a few hours later stating that they will be sending the truck out to a body shop for hood repair on Monday. I just hope it lasts.

Mine too

I just noticed today that I too have many paint bubbles in the same area of the hood on my 13 Sport. The problems are from the edge of the headlight closest to the driver door all the way across to the other side. It has 19K miles and is not garage kept in PA. But I see even those that garage theirs still are having problems. I guess I would have noticed it earlier if I did any kind of maintenance on the Sport myself but I goes into the shop every 5K. I was filling my wiper fluid today and noticed it.

I just noticed today that I too have many paint bubbles in the same area of the hood on my 13 Sport...

I'd get this in front of your dealership so they can inspect, JarHead1833. After your visit, feel free to contact me if you need assistance; I'm happy to help!

Crystal

2013 Explorer bubbling at lip. I understand that the hood is made aluminum. Its not rust its corrosion and it may never perforate for years but it will bubble forever. The front lip of the hood on my 2013 Explorer is corroding all the way around after having two areas fixed under warranty and now they say they will pay for only half now that its its out of warranty by few miles. At first they were not going to pay anything. They should pay all of it. Love the car but to have something like this still like new auto really ruins owning a nice car. It is a obvious defect is what makes me mad.

Too bad for you buddy. Got photos of those spots?

2013 Explorer bubbling at lip. I understand that the hood is made aluminum. Its not rust its corrosion and it may never perforate for years but it will bubble forever. The front lip of the hood on my 2013 Explorer is corroding all the way around after having two areas fixed under warranty and now they say they will pay for only half now that its its out of warranty by few miles. At first they were not going to pay anything. They should pay all of it. Love the car but to have something like this still like new auto really ruins owning a nice car. It is a obvious defect is what makes me mad.

Welcome to the forum, abrrose. Let's see what I can do to help. How many miles are on your Explorer currently?

Crystal

Hood Paint on 2012 Explorer Bubbling/Peeling

Hey all,

I have a 2012 Explorer bought new. 39,400 miles (go figure). I just noticed on the edge of the hood on both sides, the paint is bubbling on the edge. On one section it is completely through the paint and it is peeling off! The exposed metal is white as if corroded. There are sections of the paint that are just bubbling and will no doubt peel soon. BTW...the exposed corroded part is opposite of the battery side.

Took it to my local dealer. They took pictures and sent a claim to Ford. DENIED. I was told it was out of warranty.

I'm not buying that explanation......for obvious reasons.

Anyone with suggestions on the next step up the chain to get this fixed?

It's the paint coming off the aluminum hood. That's why you see the white metal underneath. Ford has not been honoring these claims if the car is out of warranty. We had several company Expeditions that this happened on and Ford would not repair them under warranty.

I sure wouldn't buy an all aluminum F-150.

Thanks Halwg.

After reading several posts here, it looks like this is a well known issue with Ford. I'm certainly not letting this go, however. If it takes me to my last breath, It will be to Ford Customer Service. I've already had extreme rattling in the dash, "Shift to Park" issues, battery issues, and now this. I give it a year, and the entire paint on both leading edges of the hood will be completely gone. Sorry about your company vehicle experience. I'm sure the new fleet, when updated, will be another make.......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

~13 threads below yours you will find an extensive thread about hood paint bubbling...

Back