List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 55 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

If you read the 5 year unlimited mileage warranty on body and paint you’ll see that it only covers paint if there is perforation. The bubbling paint is caused by iron particulate contamination of the aluminum when painted. It’s called galvanic corrosion and does not cause perforation of the type that is covered in their warranty. There is a class action suit dealing with this because Ford wrote their warranty knowing this about this type of corrosion. This is fraud and that’s what the suit alleges.
My dealership, Future Ford in Roseville, Ca, is doing nothing in my opinion to remedy my problem. It’s the typical blow smoke up your butt to appease me attitude. I’ve taken the vehicle in where they supposedly took pictures of it to submit to Ford. They never have returned my phone calls in three attempts at asking them what’s going with the claim after telling me they will let me know. Called Fords customer service number and get the same smoke blown up my rear end by someone who you can hardly understand his english. Aside from the paint the vehicle has been great but because of their lack of customer service it will be my last Ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you read the 5 year unlimited mileage warranty on body and paint you’ll see that it only covers paint if there is perforation. The bubbling paint is caused by iron particulate contamination of the aluminum when painted. It’s called galvanic corrosion and does not cause perforation of the type that is covered in their warranty. There is a class action suit dealing with this because Ford wrote their warranty knowing this about this type of corrosion. This is fraud and that’s what the suit alleges.
My dealership, Future Ford in Roseville, Ca, is doing nothing in my opinion to remedy my problem. It’s the typical blow smoke up your butt to appease me attitude. I’ve taken the vehicle in where they supposedly took pictures of it to submit to Ford. They never have returned my phone calls in three attempts at asking them what’s going with the claim after telling me they will let me know. Called Fords customer service number and get the same smoke blown up my rear end by someone who you can hardly understand his english. Aside from the paint the vehicle has been great but because of their lack of customer service it will be my last Ford.

That's not what the warranty guide states. For 2016, it states that metal body panels need to have perforation which is correct. However it has a specific Aluminum clause which states:

"If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage, and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident, customer actions and/or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion or rust damage repairs are covered for 5 years, unlimited miles"

There is no perforation required. This also is confirmed by the many people on here with 2016s that have had their hoods replaced and repainted. There is a TSB out for this exact issue as well.

I’m re-reading the warranty. Found it on page 11.

D62EB2C5-D04A-41AA-B8DE-5E0F8C589432.jpeg

I dropped my 2016 off at my dealer last week to get the paint bubble issue taken care of. Ford authorized a whole hood and repaint on the problem. Right now I am driving around in a 2018 Ford Eco Sport until I get the call to pick up my Explorer.

I had no problems with the dealer. They took some pictures one day and then called me the next saying that Ford authorized the repair.

Just got off the phone with it’s the service manager at Future Ford in Roseville. Ford will take care of it with a new hood no cost to me. Thanks everyone for your help.

Just got off the phone with it’s the service manager at Future Ford in Roseville. Ford will take care of it with a new hood no cost to me. Thanks everyone for your help.

Just curious how they went from doing nothing to now replacing the hood in such a short time?

Perhaps dey got edumacated.;)

Not sure why the fast turn around, maybe I just don’t have the patience I should have. I called them last Thursday and he said that Ford had authorized the hood to be replaced but couldn’t say if it was covered at no cost to me or not and was going to check on that and call back by the end of the day. No call back so I called this morning. He said he thought he had called me back last Thursday. I get a little upset when people don’t do what they say there going to to. Glad I bought the extended warranty. However you shouldn’t have to use it for something like this. I basically bought the warranty because of all the electronics on these cars today. I was told a few years ago by a friend that was a parts manager at my Dodge dealer that the problem with the auto industry is that the government is building cars with all the environmental demands placed on the industry. I’m just glad it’s going to get fixed and feel bad for all those folks that are getting taken care of.

Not sure why the fast turn around, maybe I just don’t have the patience I should have. I called them last Thursday and he said that Ford had authorized the hood to be replaced but couldn’t say if it was covered at no cost to me or not and was going to check on that and call back by the end of the day. No call back so I called this morning. He said he thought he had called me back last Thursday. I get a little upset when people don’t do what they say there going to to. Glad I bought the extended warranty. However you shouldn’t have to use it for something like this. I basically bought the warranty because of all the electronics on these cars today. I was told a few years ago by a friend that was a parts manager at my Dodge dealer that the problem with the auto industry is that the government is building cars with all the environmental demands placed on the industry. I’m just glad it’s going to get fixed and feel bad for all those folks that are getting taken care of.

The extended warranty doesn't cover paint issues. It's the 5yr/unlimited mile warranty for the Aluminum that is covering it starting with the 2016MY. The previous MY owners get screwed.

I was told a few years ago by a friend that was a parts manager at my Dodge dealer that the problem with the auto industry is that the government is building cars with all the environmental demands placed on the industry..

The only thing more American than that statement is if your friend was a contractor.

Glad everything is sorted though.

Visited Olathe Ford in Olathe Kansas last Friday regarding the lip of my hood corroding. They took some pics, said I would hear back from them in a couple of business days and that while they could not guarantee Ford work give the ok to replace the hood, they had not had one rejected yet.

Two business days later I got the call and was told that we were good to go. Hood is on order, Explorer lettering is on order (even though I added that to my hood after I bought it) and the service manager said they would call me when they have a loaner vehicle available for me to drive. He said it would take about 4 days to get everything done. Front bumper is being removed, headlights are being removed and hood paint will be blended into both front fenders. Assuming they will paint the top with it installed on the vehicle?

Looking forward to see how things turn out!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't think I've heard of it being done that way before. At least if it was, it wasn't mentioned in any post.

Peter

He indicated that it would have to be done that way due to the Ruby Red Metallic color? Either way I am fine as long as it looks good in the end.

I have a 2014 explorer, bubbling all across the front of the hood, dealer says its not covered and will be $800.
Now my 2018 F150, with only 5000 miles, no long drives, no gravel roads, is chipping all over the front and even the bedsides, again, told not covered.
Weak thin paint, poor prep before painting, and not covered. We have bought 2 brand new cars and have paint issues on both, even at 0% we will not buy another from Ford until this crap is addressed and fixed. We do not pay $40,000 for vehicles to look like junkyard garbage.

Welcome to the Forum Chrissy.:wave:
Unfortunately, the dealer is correct in that the hood bubbling on your 2014 is not covered now that you are out of warranty.

Peter

I have a 2014 explorer, bubbling all across the front of the hood, dealer says its not covered and will be $800.
Now my 2018 F150, with only 5000 miles, no long drives, no gravel roads, is chipping all over the front and even the bedsides, again, told not covered.
Weak thin paint, poor prep before painting, and not covered. We have bought 2 brand new cars and have paint issues on both, even at 0% we will not buy another from Ford until this crap is addressed and fixed. We do not pay $40,000 for vehicles to look like junkyard garbage.

On your F150, if it is paint bubbling and not paint chips from road debris, it certainly is covered.

On your F150, if it is paint bubbling and not paint chips from road debris, it certainly is covered.
Unfortunately it is considered chips from debris, considering how little it is driven and where, it was just a bit disheartening to see the paint was that fragile. Just unfortunate, frankly the explorer issue is more of a sore spot as it was the seam on the lip that split and not the entire lip is bubbled up.

Vehicle is fairly nee, under warranty here in canada.

I have paint bubbling along entire front edge lip of engine hood.

Is there a tab or advise on this before I go to dealer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back