List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 62 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

The hood is a warranty issue your dealer should replace and repaint it. There is a long thread on here about hood bubbles.

On the water pump, some have problems and others do not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm sure the dealer will blame me for the bubbling.
It is a known issue. Read your Warranty Guide and you will see that it is covered for 5 years, unlimited mileage.

I've merged your thread with this existing one.

Peter

Doesn't mean the dealer will not blame me.anyone ever have bubbling after the dealer fixed it the first time.

Doesn't mean the dealer will not blame me.anyone ever have bubbling after the dealer fixed it the first time.

Yes, when they didnt replace the hood. Repainting a bubble hood will not solve the problem. The hood needs to be replaced. If all they did was a repaint, you will get the bubbles back.

Has anyone had any luck getting the hood replaced on their 2015 for the bubbling issue? Ours has 68,000 miles and is about 5 months from the 5 year mark from the in service date. My concern is that the 2015 warranty guide doesn’t mention aluminum corrosion like the 2016+ does.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Unfortunately, the 5 year, unlimited warranty on aluminum panels only applies to the model 2016+ Explorers.

Peter

Has anyone had any luck getting the hood replaced on their 2015 for the bubbling issue? Ours has 68,000 miles and is about 5 months from the 5 year mark from the in service date. My concern is that the 2015 warranty guide doesn’t mention aluminum corrosion like the 2016+ does.
Mine was under warranty and Ford denied it, saying it was milage related and the paint wasnt perforated. I appealed it saying it was perforated under the lip of the hood, and how is that mileage related. When filing an appeal you cant even submit pictures, so it's pretty much a crock of S.

Mine was under warranty and Ford denied it, saying it was milage related and the paint wasnt perforated. I appealed it saying it was perforated under the lip of the hood, and how is that mileage related. When filing an appeal you cant even submit pictures, so it's pretty much a crock of S.

That's what I have heard as well. The standard 5 year corrosion protection is only against perforation. The aluminum panel warranty may fall under this or it might be totally new, I'd have to see the actual warranty document.

That's what I have heard as well. The standard 5 year corrosion protection is only against perforation. The aluminum panel warranty may fall under this or it might be totally new, I'd have to see the actual warranty document.
The aluminum panel corrosion warranty was only added to the Warranty Guide starting with the 2016 model.

Peter

Perforated means a hole. The metal was to be perforated, not the paint for the warranty to cover rust repairs. Obviously Aluminum does not rust so Ford started in 2016 a corrosion warranty (which is what aluminum does).

So your paint bubbling is not perforation and in that respect, Ford was correct. Where members get pissed and rightfully so is where they started the 5/unl coverage of this for 2016 and told the 11-15 owners to pound sand. There were some exceptions made as members here did get Ford to cover it but few and far between.

Perforated means a hole. The metal was to be perforated, not the paint for the warranty to cover rust repairs. Obviously Aluminum does not rust so Ford started in 2016 a corrosion warranty (which is what aluminum does).

So your paint bubbling is not perforation and in that respect, Ford was correct. Where members get pissed and rightfully so is where they started the 5/unl coverage of this for 2016 and told the 11-15 owners to pound sand. There were some exceptions made as members here did get Ford to cover it but few and far between.

I’m gonna swing by the dealership on Friday and see what they say. Worst case they say “no”, but doesn’t hurt to ask...

I’m gonna swing by the dealership on Friday and see what they say. Worst case they say “no”, but doesn’t hurt to ask...
I went by the dealership today. First he tried to claim I was out of warranty because the Explorer is a 2015, so I had him look up the in-service date and teh corrosion warranty is still in effect until July. They claimed they were unaware of the latest TSB, but did take pictures and are going to submit the warranty claim to Ford for approval. So here's to hoping...

I went by the dealership today. First he tried to claim I was out of warranty because the Explorer is a 2015, so I had him look up the in-service date and teh corrosion warranty is still in effect until July. They claimed they were unaware of the latest TSB, but did take pictures and are going to submit the warranty claim to Ford for approval. So here's to hoping...

Now the game is afoot... I hate working with Ford dealerships.

The 2015 has NO aluminum panel corrsion warranty so the "In Service Date" is of no importance. The only corrosion warranty in effect is the one that covers rust through perforation which aluminum won't do.

Peter

The 2015 has NO aluminum panel corrsion warranty so the "In Service Date" is of no importance. The only corrosion warranty in effect is the one that covers rust through perforation which aluminum won't do.

Peter
I understand what your saying, but it definitely doesn’t hurt to ask. Worst case they say no, but there’s always a chance they warranty it. Additionally, I will have a record that I took it into the dealership before the corrosion warranty was expired in case there is ever a decision made to fix the hoods that could prove they had the issue before the corrosion warranty expired. Again, it may never happen, but it doesn’t cost me a thing to ask and document...

I understand what your saying, but it definitely doesn’t hurt to ask. Worst case they say no, but there’s always a chance they warranty it. Additionally, I will have a record that I took it into the dealership before the corrosion warranty was expired in case there is ever a decision made to fix the hoods that could prove they had the issue before the corrosion warranty expired. Again, it may never happen, but it doesn’t cost me a thing to ask and document...

There have been a few members here who have had theirs covered so yes, it does not hurt to ask.

Unfortunately, the 5 year, unlimited warranty on aluminum panels only applies to the model 2016+ Explorers.

Peter
I hope you are right. I have a 2017 and the bubbling started a couple months ago. I will make an appointment with the dealer.

I hope you are right. I have a 2017 and the bubbling started a couple months ago. I will make an appointment with the dealer.
It is shown in your Warranty Guide brochure.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all.
New guy here.after owning maybe4 different explorers(all old )I bought a 17 xlt Two weeks in & I notice the hood bubbling
Brought it to SAYVILLE FORD where we bought the car * the next day we got confirmation they ordered the hood * there going to give us a loaner till its fixed!
Couldn't be happier ! All the people at sayville ford where amazing to deal with! :chug::chug:

Back