List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 64 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Paint has a 10 years warranty. If you take it to your own shop you will void FORD responsibility. If i was you and the shop that did the repair was by the shop then you have the right to re open the issue. Its your choice.

Where did you find that paint has 10 year warranty? Paint is only covered by basic warranty for 3y/60000km. There is a corrosion warranty for 5y/unlimited mileage, but only if it causes perforations, otherwise it is basiс warranty as well. Moreover, if corrosion is a result of environmental causes (like airborne materials), but not manufacturing defects it is only covered for 1y.

My 2018 Edge's warranty guide got a warranty qoute regarding aluminum panels, that my 2012 Explorer doesnt have. They are covered for 5y against corrosion.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Even after a repaint?

Usually that only carries a short warranty period, now the rest of the vehicle would still be covered under the paint warranty

After repaint its either 3 months or 1y, not sure.

Where did you find that paint has 10 year warranty? Paint is only covered by basic warranty for 3y/60000km. There is a corrosion warranty for 5y/unlimited mileage, but only if it causes perforations, otherwise it is basiс warranty as well. Moreover, if corrosion is a result of environmental causes (like airborne materials), but not manufacturing defects it is only covered for 1y.

My 2018 Edge's warranty guide got a warranty qoute regarding aluminum panels, that my 2012 Explorer doesnt have. They are covered for 5y against corrosion.
The 2016+ Explorer Warranty Guides have the same 5 year, unlimited mileage warranty on aluminum panels.

Peter

The 2016+ Explorer Warranty Guides have the same 5 year, unlimited mileage warranty on aluminum panels.
As a data point, my wife's 2016 Explorer turns five in July with about 70,000 miles on the dial. She has bubbling across maybe 25% of the nose. There's a few spots where the paint has come off and you can see the aluminum but for the most part it's bubbled paint. Nothing is perforated. Funny enough she hadn't noticed it until I told her why she needed to stop by the dealer.

Took it in to the dealer Wednesday where they took a few photos and sent it to Ford. Got the call Thursday that they're ordering a whole new hood which will be sent to a body shop to be painted and whatnot. Once that's all done they'll schedule a few hours to have the swap done.

Unfortunately my 2018 is starting to bubble as well (grr). On advice of my service advisor we're going to wait until it gets obnoxiously obvious or I'm close to the end of the five year warranty. No sense replacing it now if it comes back in two years.

So from where I sit Ford seems to be standing by the five years no perforation required on aluminum rule for at least MY2016.

All, I have a 2019 that's 15-months old with 33k on it. I just noticed bubbling on the leading edge of the hood where it says EXPLORER. I don't have time to sift through 64 pages of posts to find resolve. Clearly there is an issue if there are that many posts. Wowzers!

What is Ford going to do with "me" when I go in to talk about this, do you think? The spot, itself, is the size of a dime. So, it's small. That's not my concern - it's the warranty itself. I'll let it go a year if they want. But, I eventually want it repaired. I really prefer the hood be replaced as I've NEVER seen a successful rust repair in my 25 years on the road.

Thanks for the guidance!
Shumax

Go to your dealer. They should take care of it. You should get a new hood. Happened on my 16 and 18 Explorers. Got a new hood each time.

On my 18 I had it replaced even before I picked it up.

Go to your dealer. They should take care of it. You should get a new hood. Happened on my 16 and 18 Explorers. Got a new hood each time.

On my 18 I had it replaced even before I picked it up.

I went to the dealer for my 2018 XLT with under 12k mile about 2 weeks ago. Hood arrived and they are painting it. They say it only takes 30 min to swap the hood,no need to drop off the car.

All, I have a 2019 that's 15-months old with 33k on it. I just noticed bubbling on the leading edge of the hood where it says EXPLORER. I don't have time to sift through 64 pages of posts to find resolve. Clearly there is an issue if there are that many posts. Wowzers!

What is Ford going to do with "me" when I go in to talk about this, do you think? The spot, itself, is the size of a dime. So, it's small. That's not my concern - it's the warranty itself. I'll let it go a year if they want. But, I eventually want it repaired. I really prefer the hood be replaced as I've NEVER seen a successful rust repair in my 25 years on the road.

Thanks for the guidance!
Shumax
If you check your Warranty Guide you will find that the warranty on aluminum panels is 5 years, unlimited mileage. BTW, it's not rust but corrosion. ;)

Peter

If you check your Warranty Guide you will find that the warranty on aluminum panels is 5 years, unlimited mileage. BTW, it's not rust but corrosion. ;)

Peter

There is a major flaw in the theory well multiple but this is the one I will focused on.

I went through the same deal with my 2018 Hood Corrosion. It went on for front fender damage. The hood was discovered and I asked them to take care of it while it was in the shop and not require a second visit. Hood corrosion was on the hood lip at the leading edge about where the P and the L of the hood lettering are.

Damage was instance and hood was warranty.

The problem is two fold. 1. The Clearbra was NOT covered because it was considered a aftermarket accessory even though dealer installed. Enough about that but be prepared if you have clearbra be prepared to pay at least for hood. In my case the fender. LearBea was covered with the insurance deductible but I had to pay $225 for the hood ClearBra. My argument is if the hood was properly prepared to avoid the corrosion the CleRBra would have not needed to be removed in the first place.

Here is the second part and even more of the problem which is driving customers away.

The correction for the hood corrosion and probably other panels but hood for now. The correction if corrosion is found. Is to send a entirely new hood from the factory with the corrosion preventative coating applied and ready to prime and paint.

Yes you heard me correctly, they send the panel that has a corrosion preventative coating applied and ready to prime and paint.

Let’s break that down for a minute and see how crazy this is..

The hood needs to be stamped, coating applied,dried, shipped to dealer or body shop, unpacked....( hoping that there is no shipping damage)......prepped, primed and painted.....painted blend to match not just painted and installed on the vehicle. Dried, etc.....

The hood is sent as a individual component. And the logic is the same coating could be applied at the initial installation to avoid the warranty claims I. The first place.

This correction method appears to go back quite a ways and you would think that a vehicle built in Chicago they would know that the preventative compound be applied to prevent further claims.

A typical example of cost/benefit analysts. For the ones that are caught by the customer think how many get by. The generalidea is to hope that the corrosion caught AFTER the corrosion/rust through warranty has expired either time or miles.

You need to be like a bulldog with the dealer because they will try every trick in the book to get out of a warranty claim. There should be no reason for there to be paint bubbling and corrosion even at a nine year old vehicle with no underlying conditions .....untreated scratch or chip etc....

Good Luck!

Thanks, everyone. The idea of a new hood, in lieu of someone trying to "fix" the one I have, does sound good. I may try and stop by and see mine tomorrow; otherwise, it'll be a week before I can. Thanks again!

There is a major flaw in the theory well multiple but this is the one I will focused on.

I went through the same deal with my 2018 Hood Corrosion. It went on for front fender damage. The hood was discovered and I asked them to take care of it while it was in the shop and not require a second visit. Hood corrosion was on the hood lip at the leading edge about where the P and the L of the hood lettering are.

Damage was instance and hood was warranty.

The problem is two fold. 1. The Clearbra was NOT covered because it was considered a aftermarket accessory even though dealer installed. Enough about that but be prepared if you have clearbra be prepared to pay at least for hood. In my case the fender. LearBea was covered with the insurance deductible but I had to pay $225 for the hood ClearBra. My argument is if the hood was properly prepared to avoid the corrosion the CleRBra would have not needed to be removed in the first place.

Here is the second part and even more of the problem which is driving customers away.

The correction for the hood corrosion and probably other panels but hood for now. The correction if corrosion is found. Is to send a entirely new hood from the factory with the corrosion preventative coating applied and ready to prime and paint.

Yes you heard me correctly, they send the panel that has a corrosion preventative coating applied and ready to prime and paint.

Let’s break that down for a minute and see how crazy this is..

The hood needs to be stamped, coating applied,dried, shipped to dealer or body shop, unpacked....( hoping that there is no shipping damage)......prepped, primed and painted.....painted blend to match not just painted and installed on the vehicle. Dried, etc.....

The hood is sent as a individual component. And the logic is the same coating could be applied at the initial installation to avoid the warranty claims I. The first place.

This correction method appears to go back quite a ways and you would think that a vehicle built in Chicago they would know that the preventative compound be applied to prevent further claims.

A typical example of cost/benefit analysts. For the ones that are caught by the customer think how many get by. The generalidea is to hope that the corrosion caught AFTER the corrosion/rust through warranty has expired either time or miles.

You need to be like a bulldog with the dealer because they will try every trick in the book to get out of a warranty claim. There should be no reason for there to be paint bubbling and corrosion even at a nine year old vehicle with no underlying conditions .....untreated scratch or chip etc....

Good Luck!

Thanks for the guidance!
Shumax

You need to get it taken care of while it is small. Don’t wait if the replacement hood fails them have them do it again. A couple of major notes.

If you had ClearBra be prepared to shell out some coin$$$! For replacement since even though the hood has to be replaced due to their negligence they won’t cover aftermarket accessories....yes you are being penalized for trying to prevent corrosion and chips. I had mine done as part of other damage so I only had to pay $225 for the hood section of replacement ClearBra.

If they send you a replacement hood and paint/blend to match.....look closely. Don’t let them have you inspect inside. Take it outside hopefully decent sunlight and check the paint AND ClearBra to ensure proper match and paint should look uniform and clean and basically not look like it was painted. Being a 2019 if should be easy to blend since it probably hasn’t had a chance to fade but still look closely. Inspect the ClearBra ensure uniform, no wrinkles no overlaps etc. the film should be gently warmed and stretched over the paint to fit. Ensure the underlying surface of the ClearBra is properly painted, dried, clear coat, dried etc.

With a properly applied ClearBra film it should be almost invisible just a very faint line at the trailing edge. Mine goes about halfway back on the hood and about 1/3 way for the fenders.

I am not sure how your dealer works but mine oh have to take to the dealer service advisor, they look
And tell you to go to the body shop them the warranty claim process gets started. Photos, review in Dearborn, approval, wait for parts. If the vehicle is driveable and not in a high humidity or salt area. Drops everything off get the photos then tell them order the hood and call you when it gets in. If everything is set correctly shouldn’t take more than about two-three days. New hood will arrive. Let’s say late PM one day. Leave it overnight or bring in immediately after opening the following morning. Probably about 1/2 or full day for prep, another day for paint, clear coat and drying then late 2nd day or third day to pick up.

Thanks, everyone. The idea of a new hood, in lieu of someone trying to "fix" the one I have, does sound good. I may try and stop by and see mine tomorrow; otherwise, it'll be a week before I can. Thanks again!
There are two ways you can address this. You can wait to have it repaired since you have a 5 year warranty or you can have them replace it now and hope that the replacement doesn't have the same issue after the warranty period is up.

Peter

......................................................................................................................

Good Luck!
Does anyone know for sure that the hoods are now not being prepared the same as replacement hoods? I doubt that they would just make a hood only as a replacement. They could just as well take one that has been made for the production line. That would much more cost effective. As for the dealer trying every trick in the book to get out of a warranty claim, that may be true for a few dealers but many on here have had absolutely no problems getting the dealer to have the warranty done at all.

Peter

Does anyone know for sure that the hoods are now not being prepared the same as replacement hoods? I doubt that they would just make a hood only as a replacement. They could just as well take one that has been made for the production line. That would much more cost effective. As for the dealer trying every trick in the book to get out of a warranty claim, that may be true for a few dealers but many on here have had absolutely no problems getting the dealer to have the warranty done at all.

Peter

Pretty much yes. Dealer advised me that the hood is stamped, coating applied. Shipped to dealer for prep/prime/paint/Blend to match.
This has apparently been a fairly ongoing issue for many years across multiple fleets and model years. I would think after the first year or two they would get smart and apply the preventative coating at the factory but again....gamble on either not noticing, or at least not noticing until after the corrosion/ rust through warranty has expired. My model had a 5/18 build date and shipped to Texas Dealer. It is possible that earlier production dates and or vehicles shipped to upper Midwest and or major salt/humidity/ states might get it during delivery but based on Fprd’s apparently lengthy reputation for not making simple fixes during initial production and gambling for failures well after warranty period I would tend to think probably not....(Pinto, Crown Vic Police vehicles with the fuel fire during rear impact high speed collisions anyone??

UPDATE - 6/29. I have known the body shop manager at my dealer for 25 years, so that may have helped? Not sure. I couldn't even finish my sentence on what the issue was and he had the camera in his hand. A few photos later and he said it was a new hood coming and it would be a few weeks as they were backed up. Fine by me. It literally took 5min. I was shocked...

Thanks again for the advice and direction!
Shumax

Thanks for the guidance!
Shumax
I don’t think the dealer will give you any grief in person. Over the phone they were totally non-committal with me. After reading through the posts on this forum I was armed and dangerous. I knew exactly what to say when I called for an appointment with the body & paint department. I called service first. Told them the issue and that it is a warranty claim. They told me who to speak to in the body and paint department. The man in body and paint instructed my to visit at a certain window of time. He took lots of pictures of the body and of the VIN and odometer. Told me he would get back to me within 7 calendar days. He did. They had ordered the new hood before he called me and scheduled the appointment to get it replaced. It took them 3 days. They gave me a free loaner and detailed my car. A good experience overall. All my thanks to the people on this forum.

The dealership I used to fix the issue gave my vehicle back the same day I dropped it off. There were no more paint bubbles but they couldn't give me the service paperwork because they said they were having computer issues. Has anyone had a dealership try to fix the paint issue instead of replacing/repainting the hood?

The dealership I used to fix the issue gave my vehicle back the same day I dropped it off. There were no more paint bubbles but they couldn't give me the service paperwork because they said they were having computer issues. Has anyone had a dealership try to fix the paint issue instead of replacing/repainting the hood?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Yes, in the 'earlier' days of this issue, several members had the bubbling fixed and in many cases, it wasn't long before the issue started again. The correct method is to replace the hood. Did they give you a new hood? If not be prepared to see it happen again. Go back and ask for the paperwork again. The "computer problem" should be fixed by now and they should be able to give you something that details the work they did. They must have something since they would have had to submit a claim to Ford for the warranty work.

Peter

No. They replaced the hood for me. And, I got paperwork when I picked it up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not personally but I would be skeptical if they did. With same day service I would be thinking they are just removing the corrosion and treating the initially affected area. Yes anyone can remove corrosion, prep prime paint, bond clear l, let it dry and
No. They replaced the hood for me. And, I got paperwork when I picked it up.

that sounds about right. Some warranty work can be more complex because normally they don’t save damaged parts for warranty work. Sometimes they do for further investigation, design, engineering, failure etc.....

It is a general rule that if they are replacing parts that they actually remove and replace the parts that they say they do. Most of the time they do but there are times when they don’t. I always ask for old parts back unless it is something real obvious that there is no way of messing up new or old.
(Fluids are a obvious exception)

As a retail customer you have a right to keep old parts and save for your own analysis. Most places won’t advertise but it is a check off sheet On the repair order/invoice. Warranty they will either trash but occasionally FMC engineering will want to have sent back and see if it is a one time fail or possible failure trend.

Back