• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Hood Paint bubble issue only

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Welcome to the Forum explorer2011chip.:wavey:
Given that this seems to be an issue with other Explorers as well, I agree and feel that this should be treated a little differently than other warrantied items. One would not expect to have paint peeling off on a vehicle just a few years old. Unfortunately, what we think doesn't seem to carry much weight with the manufacturer. Because the 2011 was a newly designed model, I and many others opted for the Ford ESP. I bought it mainly because of all the on board electronics. Never even gave a thought to any paint adhesion problems. Did you discuss just having the OEM hood repainted?
The hood assembly is shown as being $1069.97 on Fordparts.com. It would then require painting.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

sporter1971

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer
I feel sort of vindicated reading this post..
Too Bad Ford doesn't see it that way..
I have to driver around with the bullet hole in the truck..
but based on the the horrible posts and issues.. mine simply isn't that bad..
now if the could only find a way to fix the tear in the drivers door armrest that is un-repairable right on the seam with the "pleather heatweld..
thats a way bigger joke in Ford Quality..

mprtech

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ex Limited
My 11 Limited is bubbling along the front edge of the hood. Ford says they only cover that type of PAINT FAILURE for 3/36 instead of the extended corrosion warranty. Needless to say so far I'm completely unimpressed with Ford's warranty program. The corrosion on the hood is due to dissimilar metal corrosion with the hood being aluminum and the inner hood being some form of alloy. We see it with Chrysler products all the time and it can't be fixed. You can sand them down and repaint the panel but the corrosion is still inside the seam and will return within 2 years, and oh yeah Chrysler replaces your hood under warranty within the factory 5/100.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Welcome to the Forum mprtech.:wavey:
As per my PM, I have moved your post to this existing one on the same issue.

Peter

new to ford

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester Hills, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
11XLT202A 17Sport401A
My 11 Limited is bubbling along the front edge of the hood. Ford says they only cover that type of PAINT FAILURE for 3/36 instead of the extended corrosion warranty. Needless to say so far I'm completely unimpressed with Ford's warranty program. The corrosion on the hood is due to dissimilar metal corrosion with the hood being aluminum and the inner hood being some form of alloy. We see it with Chrysler products all the time and it can't be fixed. You can sand them down and repaint the panel but the corrosion is still inside the seam and will return within 2 years, and oh yeah Chrysler replaces your hood under warranty within the factory 5/100.
same exact problem we are having all along the front edge of the hood on our '11 explorer, actually, it is HORRIBLE right underneath the front edge, were it meets the seam of another piece of sheet metal. It is bubbles all along the front edge, after only three years and technically only two winters!! :eek:
This POS hood on the ex looks worse than the hood on my daily driver 2005 passat wagon.

Also getting the bubbling on the inner seams of the doors, I'll take photos over the weekend and post them.
Now I regret buying this vehicle, should have leased it and got rid of it after three years :thumbdwn:

new to ford

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester Hills, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
11XLT202A 17Sport401A
Surprise, I have rust on the hood, and the clear coat is flaking off around the roof rack, on my 2011 Limited, with 57,000 miles. I'm now in contact with a Ford customer service rep, via my dealer, so we'll see what happens. Here are some pics.

Oh my, those paint bubbles are HORRIBLE, WAAAY worse than what I have. I guess I shouldn't complain that much :thumbdwn:
All of the bubbling on our hood is at the front edge, but on the underside so far, but it's creeping it's way up towards the top surface.
I'm so pissed off right now it's not even funny. Earlier in the year I was considering buying a mustang but no f***ing way!!

FORD: Do you not care about these problems????? This shoul not happen on a 2-3 year old vehicle!!! And please don't say this is caused by road debri damage, because if that is the case, then why is my hood bubbling on the underside surface?

new to ford

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester Hills, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
11XLT202A 17Sport401A
here are my photos, after 39 months of ownership, 50,000 miles.
I wash the explorer regularly and I wax it at least 2-3 times a year.
This is shit design/quality, there must be some galvanic corrosion going on with that aluminum hood.

new to ford

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester Hills, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
11XLT202A 17Sport401A
any other 2011's having this problem?

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Pictures are too large to view without having to scroll. PLease try and keep them to a maximum of 800X600. Thanks.

Peter

sladowski

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer Limite
Paint Rust on Hood

I had this just before the 3 year warranty ended. The dealer seemed to know all about the problem, as set up an appointment with a body shop without even looking at the car. Car was in body shop for several days, and looks like new.

The number of problems I have had with this car make the think back to cars of the 1970's. When in the last 30 years have you had rust through on a new car. Not to mention unrelenting problems with the Ford Touch and Navigation system, and my most recent overheating problem. This car seems to live at the dealer. Only car in the last 20 to 30 years I can say this about. So, why not paint rust through.:thumbdwn:

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Welcome to the Forum sladowski.:wavey:
As far as the hood issue, it isn't rust since aluminum corrodes (oxidizes) but doesn't rust. A minor point I know and it should not be happening on vehicles just a few years old. I'm curious as to how the new F-150 will hold up with all the aluminum it has. I'm guessing the 2016 Ex may also have more aluminum in it as a weight reduction feature.

Peter

new to ford

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester Hills, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
11XLT202A 17Sport401A
I wonder if my dealer purchased Extended warranty would take care of these paint bubbles, I'll check next time I'm in, but I'm not really keen on getting the whole hood repainted by the dealer....

sladowski

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer Limite
I wonder if my dealer purchased Extended warranty would take care of these paint bubbles, I'll check next time I'm in, but I'm not really keen on getting the whole hood repainted by the dealer....

I asked my dealer about this, since I did purchase the Extended Warranty. He said, under the original new car warranty, a paint bubble is enough to get it repainted. After than, even with the Extended, you need full rust through - a higher standard.

maliboo74

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
2013 Limited paint bubbling and peeling on hood

Hi guys,

Just wanted to start some discussion in order to prep for my call to my dealer. After changing my oil today I noticed numerous area along the edge of the hood where the paint is bubbling and peeling. If you zoom in on the pic provided you can see one particular area. There are other spots along the edges that have similar conditions.

The warranty guide states a 5 year corrosion warranty. I assume this is covered under that? The truck is 28 months old with 37500 miles. I want to get ahead of this problem before it gets worse.

Any advice you can give (before I make the call to the dealer) would be appreciated!

Keith

Halwg

Reaction score
City, State
WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Base 2.3L E
We have had a problem with paint bubbling and peeling on the hoods and tailgates of Expeditions at work. This looks like the same issue. Bubbling off the aluminum parts. Ford has not been very responsive in fixing the problem.

maliboo74

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
We have had a problem with paint bubbling and peeling on the hoods and tailgates of Expeditions at work. This looks like the same issue. Bubbling off the aluminum parts. Ford has not been very responsive in fixing the problem.
What other parts are aluminum? I would like to check those areas as well.

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Paint issues are 3yr/36k (bumper to bumper). Corrosion warranty is for rust through the metal (surface rust is not covered under this).

You might be able to get Ford to cover it BUT technically you are out of warranty so be prepared for a denial.

Halwg

Reaction score
City, State
WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Base 2.3L E
Paint issues are 3yr/36k (bumper to bumper). Corrosion warranty is for rust through the metal (surface rust is not covered under this).

You might be able to get Ford to cover it BUT technically you are out of warranty so be prepared for a denial.
They have denied every one we presented as they were all over the 36,000 warranty period. But you need to get it fixed because it keeps getting worse till large flakes of paint peel off.

I can tell you the dealer will take pictures and send them to Ford and will have to wait for a ruling. Maybe if enough of these keep coming in they will finally do something about it.

Be very leery if you are going to buy one of the F-150 aluminum body trucks. I would wait for awhile to see if they get the paint issues fixed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

FordService

Official Ford Rep
Reaction score
City, State
Dearborn, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
...Just wanted to start some discussion in order to prep for my call to my dealer. After changing my oil today I noticed numerous area along the edge of the hood where the paint is bubbling and peeling...
I got your PM and responded, maliboo74. Check out your inbox for my message. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C 2017 Explorer XLT Coolant everywhere after hood paint bubble repair!! Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 20
M brand new special order 2016 xlt comes with dark paint touch up on hood +++++ Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 11
B Paint Issues - Non Hood Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 126
F hood switch wiring Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
J Under hood dimensions Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 0
S 2011-2019 explorer hood Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
S BCM pin out needed for connecting hood switch harness Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
T Aligning the hood Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
S Should I remove the "Explorer" front hood emblem?? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
L Hood Steam Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
C HELP!!! Rattling coming from under the hood in my 2015 Explorer Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 0
W Hood lettering question Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
S Hood Alignment Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
D Hood Letters Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
S 2017 Owners - Can you please check the bolts that secure your hood>>> Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
B Oil Build Up under Hood Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 13
L 2016 rough hood Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 8
K hood letter question? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
S Help request - is your hood latch painted body color Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
G Platinum Hood Badge Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 0
C Hood closure Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 11
D Removing the hood liner? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
1 Beware 4 Legged Visitors Living Under The Hood Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 14
M Hood almost blown off from gust of wind Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 15
L New '14 Sport delivered with creases in hood Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 10
G 2013 Ford explorer hood letters Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
P Explorer Sport Hood Decal Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
R Hood bent when i pressed down to close it!!! Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 26
K Explorer hood vibrates Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 193
G "Explorer" hood lettering ... Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 15
D Hood Struts ?? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 236
G "Explorer" Sport hood letters now available ... Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 34
G "Explorer' Hood Letters Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
P 2013 XLT EB hood plastic composite or aluminum ? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
D If the Explorer battery goes dead, how do you get the hood open? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 15
T Looked under the hood lately? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 17
P Closing the hood... Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 27
B Is this what your hood looks like? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
J New rotors coated on one side in grey primer type paint. Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 34
0 Spray paint Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 16
E Black gloss touch up paint for Sport grille? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
K 2017 Sport (Smoked Quartz) paint chipping too easily? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
R 2016 Explorer rear door jamb paint rubbing off Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
A Cilajet Auto Paint Sealant Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
Dave Head Paint code for gloss black trim Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
K Custom Order '17 Platinum came in with bad paint job! Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 16
D Where to buy paint? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 10
S Matte Paint Job or Wrap? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
M Touch Up Paint Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 11
J 2016 LTD - Accident day of pay off(Paint codes) Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 26