List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Good morning, I noticed that my 13 limited had paint bubbles around the edges of the hood and it actually chip away. I recently took it to Ford and they took photos and sent them to Ford. They acknowledge it was a finish issue so they covered it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good morning, I noticed that my 13 limited had paint bubbles around the edges of the hood and it actually chip away. I recently took it to Ford and they took photos and sent them to Ford. They acknowledge it was a finish issue so they covered it.

They covered it because it was still under warranty, otherwise they would have said, not our problem.

The aluminum hoods suck when it comes to paint. I have a new hood, with new paint, so time will tell how it holds up.

The new all aluminum F150 is going to be interesting.

Was it within the 36000 mile warranty?

Hello All,
Noticed over the weekend that the paint on my 2013 Explorer Sport had bubbling paint around the edge of the hood. Upon raising the hood I noticed the problem was much worse, the paint has chipped away at many places along the edge of the hood. I took my truck into the dealer who explained that they have had many Explorers in with the exact same issue and it was covered by warranty. My Problem is that my truck now has 53000 miles on it and thus not covered by 3/36 and I am assuming I will be made to pay for something that is clearly a defect. Has anyone had luck getting this paid for when past the 3/36?

Cirnek

Hello All,
Noticed over the weekend that the paint on my 2013 Explorer Sport had bubbling paint around the edge of the hood. Upon raising the hood I noticed the problem was much worse, the paint has chipped away at many places along the edge of the hood. I took my truck into the dealer who explained that they have had many Explorers in with the exact same issue and it was covered by warranty. My Problem is that my truck now has 53000 miles on it and thus not covered by 3/36 and I am assuming I will be made to pay for something that is clearly a defect. Has anyone had luck getting this paid for when past the 3/36?

Cirnek
Short answer is YES. Check out post 108 and then his post 195. Not every one was that lucky. I believe there were others that were able to get it covered outside of warranty but I wasn't going read through the whole thread.

Peter

Just bought a new 2015 limited to replace my 2011 limited that had major hood bubbling and was repainted by Ford under warranty! Thought they would have this problem solved by now. Checked my new limited hood and noticed 2 bumps under edge!!! If these get larger I'm done with ford really forever!!!!!

Just bought a new 2015 limited to replace my 2011 limited that had major hood bubbling and was repainted by Ford under warranty! Thought they would have this problem solved by now. Checked my new limited hood and noticed 2 bumps under edge!!! If these get larger I'm done with ford really forever!!!!!

Have you brought this to the attention of your dealer, cbx1047? Let's get your regional customer service manager involved, too. PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. Leave the rest to me. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Short answer is YES. Check out post 108 and then his post 195. Not every one was that lucky. I believe there were others that were able to get it covered outside of warranty but I wasn't going read through the whole thread.

Peter

Peter,
I had started reading at the beginning and had not made it to those post yet, many thanks for find these post. Those picture look almost exactly like my 2013 Sport, except the paint on the inside edge is completely missing in some spots now thanks to this flaking/bubbling problem. It does give me a little hope that some folks were able to have this taken care of.

Kenric

Peter

Unfortunately, those cases don't appear to have been covered outside of warranty. Appears the best offer he got was half, better than what I got.

Stopped by the body shop at the dealer today to see about getting the paint bubbles on the hood fixed. I'm still under warranty and body shop manager said no problem, but they would not cover the cost to replace the 3m clear bra they have to remove to repair the hood. WTH

These paint issues on aluminum hoods and liftgates make me really squeamish about the all aluminum F-150. I know body repairs are much higher on the aluminum panels, but who knows how the paint jobs will hold up.

These paint issues on aluminum hoods and liftgates make me really squeamish about the all aluminum F-150. I know body repairs are much higher on the aluminum panels, but who knows how the paint jobs will hold up.
I thought that only the hood is aluminum on the Explorer. Just checked my MKT and both hood and liftgate are aluminum. Never checked the liftgate on the Explorer I had. Learned something new today. :)

Peter

I thought that only the hood is aluminum on the Explorer. Just checked my MKT and both hood and liftgate are aluminum. Never checked the liftgate on the Explorer I had. Learned something new today. :)

Peter

I am pretty sure that the tailgate on the explorer is steel, not aluminum.

My '13 MY is steel, one less area to wonder if its going to bubble. Maybe Ford switched to aluminum for the '14MY?:scratch:

door skins look aluminium as well

had the hood painted last month,,,,, different dealer same crappy service,,,,, hood liner was not reinstalled and now the windshield squirters dont work..... no pride just slop at a prison cafeteria type service....

this is such a nice basic vehicle from an engineering point of view..... it would be a SERIOUS home run if the dealers/customer service was more professional, attentive and completely finished and tested.

RN

Door skins are not aluminum. Sounds like you have dealer problems in your area. Can't say enough good things about mine. Excellent and courteous service during the 4 years I have been dealing with them. Some of the staff even know me by name although I'm normally only there twice a year.:thumbsup:

Peter

2013 Ford Explorer Limited Paint Bubbling on Hood

My husband just noticed that the paint is bubbling along the front edge of the hood on our 2013 Ford Explorer Limited. We have 38,000 miles on it. I assume from what I'm reading that we should bring this to the attention of our dealer and hopefully they will cover fixing it. I know too that this has been an issue for some time with Ford. My sister had a Ford Expedition that had the same problem on the hood and back liftgate and Ford wouldn't fix it. They traded in their Ford and will never buy a Ford again!

Welcome to the Forum cmattingly63.:wavey:
Since you are just beyond the warranty mileage wise, I would also suggest contact the Ford rep here. Her name is Crystal (FordService) and you can send her a private message (PM) using this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.
Good luck.

Peter

My husband just noticed that the paint is bubbling along the front edge of the hood on our 2013 Ford Explorer Limited. We have 38,000 miles on it. I assume from what I'm reading that we should bring this to the attention of our dealer...

Yep, that's the best next step, cmattingly63; be sure to come back and tell us what you hear from the dealer. Also, I responded to your PM, so check out your inbox for my reply. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm taking my 2013 sport in for an appointment to have pictures taken for this same issue. 29,354 miles it is CPO. Purchased from Tasca Buick GMC late last summer and having service done at Marcotte Ford in MA. I really hope that this gets taken care of. He said approval is up to Ford after they see the pictures. I also do not understand why they are taking pictures of the entire vehicle?

Back