List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

I stopped at a blue oval Ford dealership last weekend to check on their supply of used explorers. They had 12 in stock years 2011 thru 2015. I checked the hoods and found that 8 of them had bubbles on leading edge, one had a hood diffuser so I couldn't tell if the paint was bad and there was 1 2014 and 1 2015 both had no hood paint problems. I'm wondering if Ford has fixed the problem in the last year, has anyone heard of it??? Or are these two just waiting to start ? ;-(

I've read through pretty much this whole thread and unfortunately I'm pretty sure i remember seeing 2014 & 2015s with this problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I stopped at a blue oval Ford dealership last weekend to check on their supply of used explorers. They had 12 in stock years 2011 thru 2015. I checked the hoods and found that 8 of them had bubbles on leading edge, one had a hood diffuser so I couldn't tell if the paint was bad and there was 1 2014 and 1 2015 both had no hood paint problems. I'm wondering if Ford has fixed the problem in the last year, has anyone heard of it??? Or are these two just waiting to start ? ;-(
No reports here of any 2014 models with the issue. The only 2015 report is yours.

Peter

Yeah, well it could have gone a lot smoother if Ford corporate customer service has their act together and I did not have to deal with months of calls, months of being ingnored, having to make threats to get this done, and then getting ignored again when I find other posters got better deals than I did for the same repair.

Like I said. The Ford outsourced body shop and the Ford dealer have been fine. Ford corporate customer service is a nightmare.

Not saying it is right but generally when Ford gives $$ to a customer towards a repair, that now becomes a partial warranty repair and therefore Ford can claim the old parts as theirs. Now your new hood will have a 2 year, unlimited mile warranty on it...

I'm glad you get to keep the hood and it worked out in your favor.

Hello everyone....

I have 2013 explorer with the dreaded paint bubbles on the edges of the hood, over both headlights. 2013 with 34,6xx miles. hoping to have ford fix this issue

Pat

Hello everyone....

I have 2013 explorer with the dreaded paint bubbles on the edges of the hood, over both headlights. 2013 with 34,6xx miles. hoping to have ford fix this issue

Pat
Welcome to the Forum Pat.:wavey:
Please add the model of your Explorer to your profile so it appears in the margin when you post. Thanks.

Peter

Updated

Hey guys who had their hoods replaced, how does new hood holding up the paint? Any new issues?

My Ex is unfortunate to be one of those with paint bubbles. I noticed bubbles on the front edge of the hood (hood was is 3M-protected from delivery) last year and in August 2014 it was repainted under warranty. I was lucky my claim was accepted from the first time and I didn't have to battle with Ford.
And now the bubbles start appearing again (hood is 3M-protected as before)!
Moreover, I noticed an awful addition to those hood bubbles - paint bubbles under roof railings! Bubbles are all over the place there! It is just matter of time when they start cracking and exposing metal to water/salt etc...
It pisses me off, this vehicle is just 4 years old and is always garage stored!

I think I'm going to escalate this to Ford again...

BTW, when I was at dealer last time I saw n0n-restyle Explorer, windshield sticker read 2015 Explorer XLT, so I checked the hood... Guess what?! Hood's front edge paint wasn't smooth and some minors bubbles were presented... and it is on new vehicle!

My dealer here in the Philippines repainted the hood and covered it under warranty. Mine is a 2013MY and the service adviser also said that even 2014-2015 units have this issue.

BTW, when I was at dealer last time I saw n0n-restyle Explorer, windshield sticker read 2015 Explorer XLT, so I checked the hood... Guess what?! Hood's front edge paint wasn't smooth and some minors bubbles were presented... and it is on new vehicle!

Yeah right.......

Has anyone looked at new Ex hoods lately inside to see how they are painted?

Where the bubbles start is the underside lip. A lot of water gets under there driving in the rain. Check next time it rains. And it sits and stays there with the rubber grommet keeping it up there against the inside lip.

Now, on my 2011 there was only one base coat of paint on the underside lip. Even if one were to assume the aluminum hood were properly anodized, it's the same as having one base coat of paint on steel exposed to the elements all the time. Rust/corrosion will start soon enough.

Now, I got a new hood for $500 out of my pocket from Ford. The body shop primed, painted and clear-coated the entire underside of the hood as opposed to the one base coat Ford does out of the factory - at least on my 2011.

If Ford is still doing one base coat under the lip, one can expect continued problems.

I feel pretty confident (though not happy to be out $500 AT ALL) now that the entire underside of the new hood is primed, painted and clear-coated like the top.

Does anyone have any numbers as to how many people on this forum have this issue on 2011 and up? This issue is really bothering me assuming I am going to experience this with my 2015. After reading all the pages, there seems to be nothing in common as to the cause. Does not seem to matter with color, region, or garaged or not. Are there a lot of 2011 and up owners here that do not have any paint bubble issues?

Does anyone have any numbers as to how many people on this forum have this issue on 2011 and up? This issue is really bothering me assuming I am going to experience this with my 2015. After reading all the pages, there seems to be nothing in common as to the cause. Does not seem to matter with color, region, or garaged or not. Are there a lot of 2011 and up owners here that do not have any paint bubble issues?

maybe we should do a survey on this forum regarding this issue?

Nobody has been keeping track of actual numbers but it shouldn't be too hard to find out. Just go through the posts in this thread, eliminating the posts that don't actually have the issue but are just replies, etc.

Peter

Nobody has been keeping track of actual numbers but it shouldn't be too hard to find out. Just go through the posts in this thread, eliminating the posts that don't actually have the issue but are just replies, etc.

Peter

Either it is not wide spread or just many didn't notice it...

Yeah right.......

I checked my dealer and found 6 with the problem, all 2015's. What is so hard to believe. And when I told the service manager, he didn't care one bit.

I checked my dealer and found 6 with the problem, all 2015's. What is so hard to believe. And when I told the service manager, he didn't care one bit.
When you say "problem", what exactly are you seeing? I cant see how they can have cars on the lot with imperfections in the paint. Is the problem clearly visible?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you say "problem", what exactly are you seeing? I cant see how they can have cars on the lot with imperfections in the paint. Is the problem clearly visible?

3 of them were visable bumps, the rest you had to feel under the lip of the hood and you can fell the bumps.

Back