List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

As I mentioned before, I am new to the forum and have been concerned with this paint issue. I decided to make my own observation and seek a dealer with some used explorers on the lot. I have seen it first hand! The first used 2012 and 2013 had bubbles exactly how everyone described and has shown in pictures. I will share my thoughts and opinions on this issue. I have absolutely no faith In a Ford product. This is the first and last Ford I will own whether or not my 2015 Explorer develops the paint bubble or the other common issues also discussed. I can not believe that Ford can not get their painting of aluminum right. Also, if any dealer or service advisor tells me he has no knowledge of this, I will simply tell him he is lying. My rant is over and I apologize if I am out of line.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also, if any dealer or service advisor tells me he has no knowledge of this, I will simply tell him he is lying. My rant is over and I apologize if I am out of line.

You're feelings are justified, I shared this problem with my salesman. When a friend of mine went to the same salesman with her car he stated he didn't know about it. Caught him red handed.

2014 Sport with 16k miles..taking it to dealer tomorrow for photos..:thumbdwn:

hood and hatch paint bubbling

bought a used 2012 certified explorer in January. noticed paint bubbling on edge of hood and hatch. seems like ford will not help with this issue. have seen others in parking lots with same problem. has anyone out there had theirs repaired by ford. just wondering. 32,000 miles. seems like aluminum corrosion under paint. thanks.Tom.

bought a used 2012 certified explorer in January. noticed paint bubbling on edge of hood and hatch. seems like ford will not help with this issue. have seen others in parking lots with same problem. has anyone out there had theirs repaired by ford. just wondering. 32,000 miles. seems like aluminum corrosion under paint. thanks.Tom.

Welcome to the forum!! The search function at the top of the page is your best friend on the forums.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326943

Long story short, paint issues are covered under the 3yr/36k bumper to bumper warranty. If your Ex hasn't hit the 3 year mark since the original purchase, Ford will cover the repair.

My 2015 with 93 miles had paint bubbles on the roof, and 1 on the back hatch.... not what id expect on a brand new car built in late may 2015....

hood paint problems

I was denied for my claim for hood paint bubbling. my first case number was assigned before 36000 miles. so Ford will not cover repair. first Ford in 30 years. it will be my last. tell everyone you see about the paint problems and poor service. maybe we can put Ford out of business.

UPDATE***
So I took it to the dealer and they took photos. The service advisor said that it is "somewhat" of a common problem and ADMITTED that it is a PRODUCTION issue and that maybe during the painting sequence, the clamp that holds the hood up might be getting in the way of proper paint/seal..:roll:

The next day they call me and I am asked to make an appointment to repaint the hood. They outsource their paint shop and I am instructed to drop off my vehicle at Ford and they will drive it to their paint shop (MAACO? Lol)...here's the clincher..they wont give me a loaner but that they have an Enterprise Rent a Car Agent on their third floor and he can hook me up with a car...but at MY expense, lol!
So I tell them (nicely) "I need to pay for my rental car for a repair issue that was admittedly FORD's fault?"
"Yes sir, I'm sorry."
Okay, thank you.... :(

UPDATE***
So I took it to the dealer and they took photos. The service advisor said that it is "somewhat" of a common problem and ADMITTED that it is a PRODUCTION issue and that maybe during the painting sequence, the clamp that holds the hood up might be getting in the way of proper paint/seal..:roll:

The next day they call me and I am asked to make an appointment to repaint the hood. They outsource their paint shop and I am instructed to drop off my vehicle at Ford and they will drive it to their paint shop (MAACO? Lol)...here's the clincher..they wont give me a loaner but that they have an Enterprise Rent a Car Agent on their third floor and he can hook me up with a car...but at MY expense, lol!
So I tell them (nicely) "I need to pay for my rental car for a repair issue that was admittedly FORD's fault?"
"Yes sir, I'm sorry."
Okay, thank you.... :(

It's been said many times (right or wrong) that Ford does not provide rental vehicles for any warranty repairs unless you have a Ford ESP. I completely feel for you but one could say the same thing for any part failure.. a defect is a defect and unless there is an ESP, no rental. Ford has made some exceptions to owners across the line but generally you need to escalate your issue through Ford Corp customer service. Even then, I'd say more often then not they say you are SOL.

Now some dealers provide rentals at no charge but that is a dealer courtesy. I have one dealer that has over a dozen Ford rentals of their own and they give them out for free. But that is the only dealer I know of that I've ever done business with. This is one reason why I always buy the ESP... Drop off and get right into a free rental.

It's been said many times (right or wrong) that Ford does not provide rental vehicles for any warranty repairs unless you have a Ford ESP. I completely feel for you but one could say the same thing for any part failure.. a defect is a defect and unless there is an ESP, no rental. Ford has made some exceptions to owners across the line but generally you need to escalate your issue through Ford Corp customer service. Even then, I'd say more often then not they say you are SOL.

Now some dealers provide rentals at no charge but that is a dealer courtesy. I have one dealer that has over a dozen Ford rentals of their own and they give them out for free. But that is the only dealer I know of that I've ever done business with. This is one reason why I always buy the ESP... Drop off and get right into a free rental.

We don't even have a loaner in Canada with ESP!!! So, you a re lucky down to the south!

We don't even have a loaner in Canada with ESP!!! So, you a re lucky down to the south!

Really??? It isn't an option to add on? I know the Ford ESP comes with 1st day rental but all the online discounted sites remove it and then advertise it as a $70 option or there abouts. That way they can advertise the lowest price possible. Even though they remove it and discount it that $70, it technically is included so it is all pricing games those dealers play.

I don't know how I'm gonna get mine repainted. The explorer is the only vehicle she (wife) can drive that has enough room for her pregnant self and 2 other kids.

I'm probably gonna push for a new painted hood, that way they can paint the new one and all I would have to do would drive to the dealer ship for quick replacement.

Granted, mine is less than 2 yrs old and within the 3yr/36k factory warranty but whether my new Ex is an HOUR old or a DAY old from leaving the lot, they wouldn't even give me a loaner/rental....interesting to know for future purchases

Granted, mine is less than 2 yrs old and within the 3yr/36k factory warranty but whether my new Ex is an HOUR old or a DAY old from leaving the lot, they wouldn't even give me a loaner/rental....interesting to know for future purchases

Yeah, this one surprised me when my Ex was under warranty. I had previously owned primarily European cars where the dealers always gave you a loaner "courtesy car" off the lot and my Escape had an ESP thrown in as part of the deal so I was unpleasantly surprised by this when my Ex needed a stay under warranty.

I'm buy and hold. My Escape stays at a vacation house on a small island and gets a couple hundred a year if, so I'm not concerned with that though the engine needed a $4k repair under ESP - only time I have ever gotten an extended warranty and it paid off. Never needed it on all my other cars without one.

How well the Ex holds up over the years as my primer driver at the moment will say a lot about whether I buy a Ford again. Right now having had the roof leak and hood paint bubble issues added together with the fit and finish issues for the cost of the vehicle, the answer is no. If it holds up over the years I may change my mind. Previously I had a GMC Jimmy for 16 years. Primary driver for 5 and secondary for 11. Car was a lemon at first. Was in the shop under warranty more time than you can shake a stick at. Transmission went at 17k. However, they fixed everything under warranty and barely a problem the next 13 years. That GMC dealer did give loaners, I did not buy another GMC, and like I said, as of now I won't buy another Ford. Shame as there are many things I like about the Ex - or I would not have bought it.

this thread needs more pictures of the bubbling paint....

Paint bubbles on 2013 Ford Explorer Sport

Having similar issues to previous posters. Went to dealer to let them know of the problem. They took pics, submitted claim to Ford corporate. Claim denied. Called Ford customer service, opened a case, complete with case #. Dealer is now moving forward in addressing the issue. Took my Explorer to body shop today to get a repair estimate on paint stripping, treat hood, and repaint. Do not know how much Ford will kick in for repair. I'll keep you posted.

http://s570.photobucket.com/user/ksammy22/media/IMG_1492_zpsn1bxllcr.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s570.photobucket.com/user/ks...b9dc_zpsqqrmvjj4.jpg.html?state=copy&sp=false

Having similar issues to previous posters. Went to dealer to let them know of the problem. They took pics, submitted claim to Ford corporate. Claim denied. Called Ford customer service, opened a case, complete with case #. Dealer is now moving forward in addressing the issue. Took my Explorer to body shop today to get a repair estimate on paint stripping, treat hood, and repaint. Do not know how much Ford will kick in for repair. I'll keep you posted.

http://s570.photobucket.com/user/ksammy22/media/IMG_1492_zpsn1bxllcr.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s570.photobucket.com/user/ks...b9dc_zpsqqrmvjj4.jpg.html?state=copy&sp=false

Wow, its so bad! Mine were considerably smaller and yet my claim was accepted.

This is so unacceptable. There definitely should be a class action law suit. Ford should have no excuse for this. Each and every one of the affected hoods should be replaced. Maybe then Ford might get the hint that the have no clue how to properly paint aluminum.

This is so unacceptable. There definitely should be a class action law suit. Ford should have no excuse for this. Each and every one of the affected hoods should be replaced. Maybe then Ford might get the hint that the have no clue how to properly paint aluminum.

Agree, something should be done about this! Ford has to be responsible!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had my 2013 Limited since Jan '13. In the last 2-3 months, I have noticed the paint is "bubbling" up on the edges of the hood. I noticed in my manual that corrosion is covered for 5 years regardless of mileage so took it in today. They tell me this is a defect and is only covered for 36-months/36K Miles. This is ridiculous because this is obviously something they did wrong when the painted the hood to begin with. I have 60K miles on the vehicle, but it wouldn't matter if I had 60 or 60,000, this isn't wear related and I think it should be covered. This kind of service is what would make me not look at Ford next time I need a vehicle. Has anyone else had an issue like this?

IMG_8508.jpg

IMG_8507.jpg

Back