List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 58 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I hope the hood had been prepared and painted at least a day before you dropped your vehicle off. I takes time to fully dry and 'cure'.
It was likely a good thing that they didn't put the letters on right away. See this post and the ones before it. Hood Paint bubble issue only
I believe that the letters should have been included as part of the repair. Perhaps other Sport owners who had this done can chime in.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I hope the hood had been prepared and painted at least a day before you dropped your vehicle off. I takes time to fully dry and 'cure'.
It was likely a good thing that they didn't put the letters on right away. See this post and the ones before it. Hood Paint bubble issue only
I believe that the letters should have been included as part of the repair. Perhaps other Sport owners who had this done can chime in.

Peter
Got the letters on my XLT.

WTF! How long have folks had to wait to get their hood after being approved by Ford ? My dealer keeps saying back-order - going on 90 days...

Last May when I had mine approved for replacement they had a new hood a week later. I dropped my Explorer off and a week later it was done.

Not to mention the dealers name but they are in Lakewood on 6th Ave and Simms.

I heard back from the Ford dealership. They said Ford won't help me with the hood at this point since I'm out of warranty. I still have the same bubbling issue. Hopefully you guys are happy with your explorers, but this will most likely be the last Ford that I buy.

Shame on me for not spending a bit more on a different brand. I have a 2007 Toyota 4runner that hasn't suffered any of the many issues that my explorer has had.

Hi All

Just want to chime in on my experience getting the hood replaced for a 16 Sport.
I've been waiting since June of this year to get my hood replaced here in Toronto. I was told that hoods were on back order. Not sure if this is true, but I gave the dealership the benefit of the doubt.

Dropped off off the vehicle this morning and pick it up this afternoon.

Well... Walking up to the dealership, my vehicle was outside .I first noticed that the Explorer hood emblem was missing. A closer look at the hood, I noticed that the painter did not do a good job matching the flake for Absolute Black.

At the service counter I ask why is the hood emblem not installed. Was told that Ford Canada does not cover is, as for the corrosion issue. If I have an issue with this, I should contact Ford Canada. I also noted that the paint is not a perfect match. Their response was that paint fades over time. Well, the dealership I choose is defiantly lacks any reasonable customer service and insults my intelligence, but choose to use them due to convenience.

Get home and on the phone with Ford customer service. 20 minutes on the phone and I'm told that someone will need to get back to me within the next 24 hours. Further inspection of the hood, I notice that there are paint drips on the edges of the hood over the driver and passenger headlights and there is alot of overspray under the hood. This is very unfortunate, as the paint finish is better than the factory finish.

Non the less, I'll be contacting the dealership tomorrow about the paint drips.

Has anyone had this issue with the hood emblem not being replaced?

View attachment 175136 View attachment 175137

The hood letters are absolutely covered if it came like that from the factory. You better push hard on them to make it right. No drips, no streaks, no overspray.. clearly a very poor job and owe you a perfect job.

I have 2016 with 39k miles and now 4 years and 4 months old. My service department refuses to do anything about the bubbles. They are saying it needs to be rusted through and I would have only gotten a replacement within the 3 year warranty, showed them the warranty booklet, they don't care. Talked about the TSB, they don't care.
My service guy said I can open a service complaint with Ford if I want to, but he has worked there some 1990 and claims to know how it works.

Any ideas?

Actually, anyone on here from the Chicago area who got their hood replaced by their service department? Or anyone willing to share their dealership that replaced it? Maybe I can switch to that one/have my service manager call that service department for clarification!

Thank you!

Go to a different dealer because I believe your explorer should still qualify for the free fix for the hood problem. And then let your ****** bag service guy know he evidently doesn’t know how it works

Obviously they don't realize that aluminum doesn't rust. You get corrosion and that is what is causing the bubbling on the hood. That is one of the reasons the Warranty Guide was rewritten to include aluminum panels. Your issue IS covered under the 5 year, unlimited mileage warranty on aluminum panel corrosion. Did you speak with the dealership manager? Time for some education.

Peter

Obviously they don't realize that aluminum doesn't rust. You get corrosion and that is what is causing the bubbling on the hood. That is one of the reasons the Warranty Guide was rewritten to include aluminum panels. Your issue IS covered under the 5 year, unlimited mileage warranty on aluminum panel corrosion. Did you speak with the dealership manager? Time for some education.

Peter

I just got a call back stating that it would only be covered if it is perforated and if I want to start a claim with Ford I need to do that myself and they won't do anything unless they hear from Ford first.

I'm beyond frustrated and angry. This is not the first time they give me the run around.
I already called Ford earlier and opened a ticket, obviously the lvl1 lady just repeated to me that there are no 'warranty programs' out there at the moment when I tried to explain to her that I have a warranty claim (5 years) and my service department doesn't want to do anything about it. Requested a lvl 2 agent and will receive a callback at some point, well 'should receive' a callback at some point. She did open up a ticket for me.

There are a couple more dealerships in the area that I can try. I guess I have to.

These people obviously are not aware that there are 2 types of warranties. One for sheet metal and another for aluminum panels. So sad.:(

Peter

So... I created a case with Ford on Friday as said above and today I finally spoke to the customer service manager, who already spoke to my service department yesterday to find out if my car is still with them or not (which it was not, of course...).
She told me that I need to take the car back in for my service department to create an estimate of the repair and then she will get that and decide if it's a warranty claim and if not if they can 'assist me' with the repair.

Does that sound right? Is that the authorization which was talked about in this thread before? I was a little surprised about this estimate thing. I thought they would take a couple pictures and send that off. Or is it estimate + pics = (hopefully) authorization?

On mine the service rep took a couple of pictures of the bubbling and sent it in. They may of already had estimates for the job of a new hood and paint since it wasn't their first hood replacement. They called me back in a couple of days and said that it was approved and set up a appointment for me to bring it in to them.

They then sent it off to a off site body shop to have the work done. This was last June, now just yesterday I found a rock chip in the nice 5 month old paint job. Sometimes a person just can't win.

On mine the service rep took a couple of pictures of the bubbling and sent it in. They may of already had estimates for the job of a new hood and paint since it wasn't their first hood replacement. They called me back in a couple of days and said that it was approved and set up a appointment for me to bring it in to them.

They then sent it off to a off site body shop to have the work done. This was last June, now just yesterday I found a rock chip in the nice 5 month old paint job. Sometimes a person just can't win.

This was after the 3 year warranty was up?

Yes, I explain this 'picture taking' to my service manager as well when it was in last Friday, but he didn't want to hear any of it. I have the feeling they will probably get back to me with 'we can assist you by taking on 30% of the estimate costs, but that's it'. Really not feeling good about this whole thing. :(

................. I have the feeling they will probably get back to me with 'we can assist you by taking on 30% of the estimate costs, but that's it'. Really not feeling good about this whole thing. :(
You have a 5 year full warranty on aluminum panel corrosion. Have you shown them that part that is in the Warranty Guide?
The following was taken from page 11 of the 2016 Warranty Guide;
If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage,
and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident,
customer actions and/or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion
or rust damage repairs are covered for 5 years, unlimited miles.

Peter

My replacement hood just came in, after being on backorder for about a month. The dealer doesn't have its own bodyshop, so they send it out to a 3rd party for painting. They are setting me up with a loaner car and want my current car for the process, saying they will need to blend the new paint with the front bumper and fenders (Ruby Red three-stage paint). I have a Sport, so I reminded the service guy to make sure the "EXPLORER" letters get replaced on the front and any decals get replaced on the inside too. Fingers crossed... everything seems pretty smooth so far.

You have a 5 year full warranty on aluminum panel corrosion. Have you shown them that part that is in the Warranty Guide?
The following was taken from page 11 of the 2016 Warranty Guide;
If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage,
and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident,
customer actions and/or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion
or rust damage repairs are covered for 5 years, unlimited miles.

Peter

Yes, that's what you keep saying and yes that's what I keep telling/quoting/showing (have o mentioned that I'm currently carrying the warranty guide in my purse?!) them but, as said, my service manager didn't care. The lady I talked to yeaterday said she knew the passage I was quoting but needs the car at the dealer for them to make an estimate.
I'll take it in tomorrow morning, but I bet the opinion of my service manager didn't change. Just feeling that if the service manager writes up the estimate like 'dont make this warranty' then my ford corporate lady won't honor the warranty either.

I hope I'm just being overly pessimistic here but not sure what I would do if they come back with not paid, no warranty.

You need to take it to a different dealer and tell them about your bad experience with the current one. The hood doesn't have to be rusted through. I bet a different dealer will be familiar with the hood paint bubbling issue. Usually they'll go out of their way to make the other one look bad and gain you as a repeat customer. That current manager evidently has a problem and is a POS.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I totally agree with Adrian. If it were me, I wouldn't even bother going back to get an estimate done. Who knows what they'll say. Find a different dealer if you can and if they are more receptive, have them take on this issue and never go back to the other one.
Dealerships are independently owned.

Peter

Back