List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 63 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Welcome to the Forum Vince.:wave:
Glad the dealer is looking after you.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all.
New guy here.after owning maybe4 different explorers(all old )I bought a 17 xlt Two weeks in & I notice the hood bubbling
Brought it to SAYVILLE FORD where we bought the car * the next day we got confirmation they ordered the hood * there going to give us a loaner till its fixed!
Couldn't be happier ! All the people at sayville ford where amazing to deal with! :chug::chug:
Wow! I hope my experience goes as well as yours. I will keep the forum posted. I did reach out to Ford on Twitter and the company person who responded asked me to DM him, which I did. He asked for more information then told me to call the dealer. Ugh!

Yes, I understand what you're saying. It is sneaky wording for sure. It made for some lively discussions at the office today. Seems to have been written by the lawyers!
I did go back to the same dealer this afternoon, they are open quite late. I tried again with a different service writer (shift change). He told me that he would take pictures of the hood, send them to Ford and see what they would do. It seems very hit and miss depending on who you get to talk with. He took pictures and wrote up a service ticket to push it up the line for a decision. As he was taking pics, I asked about the damage and the process - he said it was clear that no human could do that kind of damage (obviously) and that he's had very good results with Ford replying. "Haven't had one denied yet". If they do approve it, it'll be a new hood, painted in the local shop. Based on the number of visible blisters and feeling along the bottom edge of the hood where MANY more are starting but haven't worked their way up onto the visible section of the lip, I think a new hood is the best way to go. Stripping the old one down would be time intensive for them. I they'd have to sand blast or bead blast it, then seal, fill and paint. Crazy.
On an unrelated note, a friend has a 2017 but he's already installed a thin stick on nick guard. I didn't have the heart to tell him it wouldn't matter, since the damage is coming from bad prep.
I wrote on this forum when I began my investigation into this issue. I was discouraged to see some did not get satisfaction from the dealer and/or Ford. So, months later I finally decided to test the waters. I had a similar experience to yours. The service writer took pictures of each corner, front end, back end, under the hood and of the VIN. He told me he has written up several of these and not just Explorers. He said he didn’t think there would be a problem. This all happened a week ago Wednesday. Then this Thursday, April 30, I received the call from the dealer saying Ford approved the claim. I take it in next Tuesday and he said it should be done by close of business Thursday. Yay! What a relief. I’ve been dreading this for 8 months. The little guy wins once in a while. Thanks to everyone on the forum for giving me what I needed to deal with the dealer.

I hope that they are not painting the hood the day you pick it up. As for the "little guy wins once in a while". There shouldn't' have been any question about the coverage. It's plainly spelled out in the Warranty Guide that it is covered. I hope it turns out well.

Peter

I hope that they are not painting the hood the day you pick it up. As for the "little guy wins once in a while". There shouldn't' have been any question about the coverage. It's plainly spelled out in the Warranty Guide that it is covered. I hope it turns out well.

Peter
Thanks. Me too. I will call the service writer and ask him when they will do the paint.

I posted late last summer about my hood issue. August, Brought it up to the dealer when I was in for an oil change. At the time they told me they’d take pictures and submit a claim to Ford and advised it would take 2-3 months bc hoods were back ordered. I waited 4 months w/out hearing anything back.
January, I took the Explorer back to the dealer to take care of a couple recalls and again asked about the hood. They had no record of my hood issue and again told me they’d take pictures and submit to Ford. I picked up the vehicle the next day and was told they didn’t need to submit pictures and basically said Ford was approving the new hood sight unseen. Was told it would take a month or so to get a new hood in stock and they’d call me when the body shop got a hood in.
Late March, haven’t heard anything. Was in the process of selling the Explorer and wanted to get it taken care of before trading it in. Called the dealer, no record of my hood issue. But the body shop had a hood in stock and told to make an appointment.
Ended up going to a different dealer to buy an F-150 and they fixed the problem hood.
Crappy service dept cost the dealership a new truck sale.

I posted late last summer about my hood issue. August, Brought it up to the dealer when I was in for an oil change. At the time they told me they’d take pictures and submit a claim to Ford and advised it would take 2-3 months bc hoods were back ordered. I waited 4 months w/out hearing anything back.
January, I took the Explorer back to the dealer to take care of a couple recalls and again asked about the hood. They had no record of my hood issue and again told me they’d take pictures and submit to Ford. I picked up the vehicle the next day and was told they didn’t need to submit pictures and basically said Ford was approving the new hood sight unseen. Was told it would take a month or so to get a new hood in stock and they’d call me when the body shop got a hood in.
Late March, haven’t heard anything. Was in the process of selling the Explorer and wanted to get it taken care of before trading it in. Called the dealer, no record of my hood issue. But the body shop had a hood in stock and told to make an appointment.
Ended up going to a different dealer to buy an F-150 and they fixed the problem hood.
Crappy service dept cost the dealership a new truck sale.
Your experience is what I feared would happen and why I procrastinated so long before taking it in and meeting with the service writer (body & collision side of the house). I’m glad you were able to get it resolved. I am considering a different vehicle this fall and knew I wanted it resolved before then. The write up said $2,000.00. I asked him how much it would be if I paid cash and he said less than $1,500.00. I would have paid that to get it resolved.

I wonder if the 2020 Explorer is going to run into the same issue?

Peter

I wonder if the 2020 Explorer is going to run into the same issue?

Peter

Probably. When I traded in my 2007 Mustang GT, the salesperson felt underneath the lip of my hood. I asked him why he was doing that and he said it was a common problem on the S197s to have aluminum corrosion on the leading edge of the hood.

I would hope they have figured out the fix by now.

That is what you'd think but this has been going on with a number of models since the early 2000s. The cost of replacing so many hoods has got to outweigh the added expense and weight on a steel hood.

A steel hood would add to the weight of the overall vehicle affecting its fuel economy. Fuel economy plays a big part these days in vehicle design and in meeting set standards.

Peter

Peter
I picked up my Explorer yesterday, Thursday, May 7. They painted the hood Monday and Tuesday. It looks good. They did well on the color match. Mine is almost 3 years old. They also detailed it. Impressive. They also gave me a loaner car for the duration. So far all is as it should be. I’m glad I finally dealt with it.

Hopefully your new hood and paint job will be better than mine was. That along with after a year I now have pits on the hood where the new paint chipped off.

I'll be taking it to my own body shop to get it repainted and done right. At least the hood should be alright now.

Hopefully your new hood and paint job will be better than mine was. That along with after a year I now have pits on the hood where the new paint chipped off.

I'll be taking it to my own body shop to get it repainted and done right. At least the hood should be alright now.
Paint has a 10 years warranty. If you take it to your own shop you will void FORD responsibility. If i was you and the shop that did the repair was by the shop then you have the right to re open the issue. Its your choice.

I hope to move on to a different vehicle before that happens. This is my 4th Explorer. I bought my first one in 1995. I love it but there seems to be one annoying issue after another. I still have 2 recalls to address.

Paint has a 10 years warranty. If you take it to your own shop you will void FORD responsibility. If i was you and the shop that did the repair was by the shop then you have the right to re open the issue. Its your choice.

Even after a repaint?

Usually that only carries a short warranty period, now the rest of the vehicle would still be covered under the paint warranty

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Paint has a 10 years warranty....................................................
I'm not sure where that info came from. The original Ford warranty on paint issues caused by corrosion is 3 years or 36k miles. Even Ford's ESP does not cover paint. Ford does have a 24 month, unlimited mileage warranty on Ford/Motorcraft replacement parts but I don't know if that covers paint.

Peter

Back