Hood release cable | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hood release cable

FutureEnemy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer XLT
Ok new here! My hood release cable is broken, when I got my explorer the handle under dash didn't work so I'd just pull the cable through the grille no problem. But I switched hood, grille, header panel, headlights, & am gone do bumper but the grille I have now has the mesh behind it so getting to the cable there isn't an option plus the loop on the end of the cable came off. My question is how can I fix this without buying a new one, right now I have a wire thingy on the manual release hook & have it sticking out under the hood but its bugging me...Any ideas what could help without hood pins also. & another question does anyone know what size the bolts on the front bumper is? 96 xlt.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

+1 bubba, I have a replacement tip for the cable, tie a string to the old one before pulling it out, that way you know the routing for the replacement.

18mm bumper bolt nuts.

Yeah, see if you can get another cable from the junk yard, test pull a few before selecting.

95-97 are different from 98-01 I think.

New cable is about fifty bucks.

I would just get a junk yard cable, that is still on my list to do, thanks for reminding me. mine has been broken since I've owned my truck, going on 5 years now, lol. :D

I would just get a junk yard cable, that is still on my list to do, thanks for reminding me. mine has been broken since I've owned my truck, going on 5 years now, lol. :D

Lol. Will definitely be going to junk yard 1st priced them online. Hopefully will find one soon.

i found a complete dorman cable and release handle from autozone they had to order it but its only 30 bucks ford wanted 60 for the cable

Back