• Register Today It's free!

Hood Shock/Strut

ducttapeut

Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lake City, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
I didn't find what I was looking for using the forum search so here's my Q.

I've gone through my hood shocks for my 98 X three times already. The factory ones lasted about 7 years, then the two aftermarkets (NAPA) only lasted about a year each time.

1) Which mfg replacement shocks should I get?

2) I wanted to add an old fashioned hood prop. I went to a local pick-n-pull but then I realized my hood doesn't have a hold for the prop to go into. Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Drill? :)

There is a right and wrong way to install these hood shocks... The side where the seal is has to be pointing down, to keep it lubricated. Installing the seals pointing up will cause them to dry up and leak. I purchased after market ones and have had them for aprox 3 years now.

I installed mine the 'right' way, and they still only lasted a year too. I used the StrongArm brand ones from the local parts store.... almost dropped the hood on my head last week, so they're going back ASAP.

-Joe

Drill? -I thought this was a "stock" forum. :)

My last set are StrongArm as well. Not recommended. Any other brands?

I only open my hood about once a month, so the struts stay horizontal most of the time, would it stay lubricated?

Yeah, I had the hood slam down on my hands, I wasn't expecting that!

I've always had pretty good luck with StrongArm struts on other vehicles... not sure why they're not holding up under the hood. Maybe StrongArm makes another comparable part with a higher force to them? Might be worth a phone call or two to find out.

Would the factory original struts be any better than the 1yr aftermarkets?

-Tim

Drill? -I thought this was a "stock" forum. :)

My last set are StrongArm as well. Not recommended. Any other brands?

I only open my hood about once a month, so the struts stay horizontal most of the time, would it stay lubricated?

Yeah, I had the hood slam down on my hands, I wasn't expecting that!

You mentioned adding a traditional hood prop but said you didn't have any holes.

One 3/8" or 1/2" hole would solve your holeless problem.

I only stated the obvious. ;)

The aftermarket ones that I find locally at Checker Auto costs around $20-25 and have lifetime warranty.. I guess you could just take the bad one in and get a new one each year.. Hehehehe

-Tim

The aftermarket ones that I find locally at Checker Auto costs around $20-25 and have lifetime warranty.. I guess you could just take the bad one in and get a new one each year.. Hehehehe

-Tim

Good info to know. The Strongarm ones I got from Carquest have only a year warranty.

I thought the StrongArm ones had a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer??

I looked at mine when I stopped for gas on the way home yesterday... They leaked. They're installed shaft-side on the cowl, and they leaked... there's an oily film on the lower mount... I wonder if it's because they sit with the shaft up most of the time (i.e. with the hood closed)

Not sure which way the OEM ones were mounted...

-Joe

I looked at mine yesterday. They're mounted shaft (chrome) side on the hood. I'm not sure if they're original or not. They still have a little life left in them. Being a '98 model with 142,000 miles, they're probably replacements.

My 2000xlt still has the factory hood shocks and they work great at 136000 miles, they are installed, with the black plastic part on the hood, the shaft on the body.

The hood has never been off or the hood shocks removed for any reason.

My 2000xlt still has the factory hood shocks and they work great at 136000 miles, they are installed, with the black plastic part on the hood, the shaft on the body.

The hood has never been off or the hood shocks removed for any reason.

Good to know... I may have to dig out the reciept and take 'em back, then replace 'em with the OEM ones.

-Joe

Keep in mind that I live in an are that has very mild winters (2 inches is a big snow for us) with 40-60 degree days most of the winter, so rare salting on the roads (not even salted once a year). the colder temperatures a lot of you guys have could cause the gas inside the shock to compress reducing the pressure in the shock (it's called cryo-pumping in cryogenics circles) could the failure of the shocks be caused by the cold/hot cycles? could it be the salt in the air from the salting of the roads eating away at the seals like at the beach?

I think the only place a car can last longer than here is the desert.

David

Ok, I picked up some Lifetime warranty ones at Checker for $19 each.

I ran into the same problem I have with my StrongArms, the ball joint on the hood is bigger (.382") than the joint on the engine compartment (.310"). On the strut, the "chrome shaft" end that is supposed to connect to the hood is too small to fit on the bigger ball joint. However if I put the strut "upside down" it will fit. But this will lead to strut failure from what I have read.

I recall that my factory struts were "chrome shaft" on the hood.

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW: Since these have a lifetime warranty, I could put them upside down and replace them when they fail. :)

Also, another reason why I don't recommend StrongArms, they have plastic, four prong clips. They break. And after a year, the plastic gets brittle (like the X's plastic ;) ) and will break when removing them.

Back